What if we scheduled...

greensteve

Hey, I've heard the same radio talk show hosts all week proclaiming how Tech got to be #7 in the BCS, they have a weak schedule, they've only played a couple of road games, etc etc.

I know our next few years (2 or 3) are already booked, but why dont we schedule some of the lesser-knowns. We could schedule Nichols St. McNeese St. and Sam Hou/or SWTS...we could schedule some of these teams that D-AA, invite some of our recruits to these games and just beat the dog out of them? I understand that attendance-wise this may not be advantagous, but if we were to beat 2-3 of the smaller schools by 30-40 points and use those games to work out or work in certain players, then hit the SBC running, we could end up with a stellar record. I know we will have to schedule a money game, just to get paid and killed, but we could also schedule some of these other programs..not home and homes...out place only!!! Atleast we could have some chatter about our team, build momentum, and if nothing else some confidence.

Just a thought.

Home games at Fouts since 2000.

Baylor......................Lost 20-7

UNLV.......................Lost 38-0

1-AA Samford..........Won 41 to 6?

Utah State................Lost 17-12

Idaho......................Lost 16-14

New Mexico St...........Won 30-23

TCU................Lost 19-5

Middle Tenn....Won 24-21

Arkansas St....Won 45-0

ULL.................Won 42-17

1-AA Nichols St..Won 23-0

South Florida.....Lost 24-17

ULM..................Won 41-2

Idaho................Won 10-0

New Mexico St....Won 38-27

Baylor.............Won 54-17

ULL.................Won 34-23

Utah St............Won 37-27

Troy.................Won 21-0

Arkansas St......Won 58-14

Florida Atlantic...Lost 20-13

Middle Tenn.......Won 30-21

New Mexico St....Won 36-26

ULM...................Won 45-30

Idaho................Won 51-29

Tulsa..............Lost 54-2

Troy...............Lost 13-10

Not sure we could schedule any easier than this? Other than the games against TCU or Baylor, the rest were programs well at, or below our level.

Rick

Regardless of the opponent, the first game of the season will always draw a big crowd. Students returning to campus, new students ready to do the college thing, the community ready for football. Having the team beat down the first game ( money game ) away from home, then returning for the opening home game takes a lot of the luster off the first home game. It seems to me that opening at home with a winnable game would boost interest the whole season.

We are getting $500,000 for our game with LSU.

At Fouts.

Current reserved seat prices $16.00 X 15K = $240,000

If we raised the price to $20.00 X 15K= $300,000

$25.00 X 15K= $375,000

If we and the athletic department really push season ticket sales, and if we don't mind paying reasonable prices (Texas charges $57.00 for endzone seats) for reserved seats, then it won't be necessary to have body bag games.

I agree. But it seems like we could schedule a A&M or OK state. Not a top 10 team every year. Then lets get home and home with CUSA, WAC, MID ATLANTIC and so forth. Tulsa La Tech these are great games that are winnable. Just not in a rebuilding year. Let's play SMU RICE, Houston, New Mexico, UTEP....

And then 1 BCS game. BCS is losing credibility with the 12th game since no one wants 2 Body bags in 1 year. They will have to go Home and Home or Div II. Let's get OK state in a 2 for 1. Or get creative and have A&M away football game and they have to schedule a home and home for basketball. hey that is a great idea. Send it to Rick V right now....

At Fouts.

If we raised the price to $20.00 X 15K=  $300,000

$25.00 X 15K=  $375,000

If we and the athletic department really push season ticket sales, and if we don't mind paying reasonable prices (Texas charges $57.00 for endzone seats) for reserved seats, then it won't be necessary to have body bag games.

Well I'm afraid its the chicken/egg here again. We would have no problem charging $25.00 for CUSA home games. Maybe even for WAC home games against Fresno St. and Boise St. Unless we are selling out fouts at $16 a game, how can we justify bumping that up to 20 or 25?

Well I'm afraid its the chicken/egg here again.  We would have no problem charging $25.00 for CUSA home games.  Maybe even for WAC home games against Fresno St. and Boise St.  Unless we are selling out fouts at $16 a game, how can we justify bumping that up to 20 or 25?

When my friend (also a North Texas graduate) who had been living in Georgia for many years moved back in this area, I got him to start attending games. At the Tulsa game he brought his daughter and one of her friends and bought walk-up tickets ($16.00 a piece). His expectation was that he would have to pay at least $25.00 per ticket.

At Fouts.

If we raised the price to $20.00 X 15K=  $300,000

$25.00 X 15K=  $375,000

Tickets for Texas Tech this weekend in Austin are $75. face and scalping for $200-$400. Do the math with 83K in attendance and see what a top BCS generates. Now I ask-- why when you can generate that or similar would you ever want to come to Denton regardless of the stadium situation? The ONLY shot we've got is playing these people in a high profile venue. It doesn't take a genius to see that when our largest crowd saw the A & M game @ TEXAS STADIUM.

I totally agree that we should look for an easier OOC schedule playing at least 1 BCS school, for the $$$$$, 1 D-1AA school and 2 Mid Major schools.

I dont think we should load our schedule with schools that use UNT for practice dummies.

We have proven that Mid Major schools have a dismal records against BCS schools and only use them for the $$$$$.

If we are stuck, for now, in the Dante's Inferno of Mid Majordom then let us take advantage of it by using other schools as our practice dummies???

It’s a given, at this time that we need to money and need to schedule a BCS game for the $$$$, but it often seems where we read that we get $500K for playing the UT’s, OU’s and then ready where ULL gets $600K. My question, and its probably hard to calculate, let’s say instead of a Top5 to Top10 program and get $500K we plays a Top15-Top25 program and get $400K – Is the extra $100K worth the lost revenue from perspective fans you do not go to a game after a 60-7 loss?

Look at both TT and Kansas State. Year in and year out they are not going to be able to out recruit the UT’s and OU’s but they figured out if they find there own systems where they do not have to be as talented as everyone they play they can compete. SO add in a relatively easy OOC schedule –

Get some wins

Fans get excited

Many players like to play in the wide open systems

At least for those two it has worked

War is what is needed. Get the Mid-Majors all together. And don't settle for anything less than a 2 for 1. Maybe spread it over the SBC. Profit sharing the gates at all $ games. Fouts would sell out so fast if UT or A&M came to Denton. With the 12 game schedule the BCS needs our conf's worse than ever. The only reason for the 12th game is revenue. So why not cash in. $ game plus home $ game where the prices are $75.00....Give 1000 tickets to GOMEANGREEN.com scalp them and put $ through donation to the stadium fund.

This post will be deleted in 4,3,2,.....gone.

Thinking outside the box. UNT degrees pay off.

40,000 seats @ Fouts x $75 = 3,000,000.00 + concession