Recap off UNT Athletics website

MootPoint

Mean Green Picks Up 13-10 Comeback Victory Over FIU

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 10/15/2005

MIAMI, Fla. (10/15/05) – The North Texas football team snapped a three-game skid with a 13-10 comeback victory over Florida International on Saturday at FIU Stadium in a Sun Belt Conference game.

The Mean Green improved to 2-3 overall and 2-1 in league play, while the Golden Panthers fell to 1-4 overall and 0-2 in conference action.

North Texas trailed 10-6 late in the third quarter, but Johnny Quinn caught a touchdown pass from Daniel Meager that gave the Mean Green the lead and ended up being the game-winning score. NT’s defense was able to hold the Golden Panthers scoreless the rest of the way as the Mean Green escaped with the three-point win.

"We knew coming into this game that it was going to be a dogfight and it was a very tough win,” said North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey. “We battled hard and made just enough plays to get a win.”

Florida International started the scoring with a 25-yard field goal from Adam Moss with 6:13 left to play in the first quarter. The Golden Panthers tacked on seven more points with a touchdown pass from Josh Padrick to Samuel Smith with 1:13 remaining in the opening quarter that made the score 10-0.

Nick Bazaldua hit two field goals for North Texas in the second quarter that made the score 10-6 at halftime.

NT’s Patrick Cobbs rushed for a game-high 112 yards on 27 carries to pace the North Texas offense that finished with 226 total yards. Quarterback Daniel Meager threw for just 79 yards, but completed 10-of-15 passes with one touchdown.

The Golden Panthers finished the game with 322 yards of offense, 96 more than North Texas, but the Mean Green defense forced eight FIU turnovers. That is the most turnovers ever recorded by a North Texas team under head coach Darrell Dickey.

"I thought our defense played well, and the offense stayed on the field a little longer in spells to help keep them fresh,” said Dickey. “Our intensity was a little lacking at the beginning of the game but we fought back and I am proud of the way we came from behind.”

Nothing but turmoil from what I hear.  Our athletic department is in shambles and it's reflected in the way this team is playing.

They build the new stadium and I don't care if they have Friday afternoon mud-wrestling tag matches over at the athletic department & beyond. blink.gif

Yet here it is a time in our school's history that all should be on the same page. Maybe all this alleged dissension in the athletic department is just what the doctor ordered for Chancellor Jackson so he can come in on his white horse (and budget axe)? wink.gif

SPEAKING OF JACKSON: I do hope that he will take on a chancellor's usual role as figure-head for all 3 campuses in the UNT System and not try to be president of each. Also, I hope we have a Board of Regents who will remind him of that fact often if he needs such reminders.

In hindsight, Jackson probably should have been hired in the capacity that Walt Parker held all those years as our chief campus ambassador (and lobbyist) to the state of Texas legislature. How we end up with a non-doctoral degreed chancellor is still beyond me and even something that may need to be explained to many of our tax-paying constituency someday.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

“We battled hard and made just enough plays to get a win.”

15 pass attempts, 48 rush attempts, played bend-but-don't-break defense, 9 punts, won the Time-of-posession, 100 plus yards rushing from one back, 1-14 on 3rd downs, 15 penalties for 146 yards including another delay-of-game, kept the game close enough to make "just enough plays to win" at the end of the game.

At least we were able play within our philosophy today.

Rick