DD post game

El Paso Eagle

..."and they have very good athletes who stuffed us all night."

I think EVERYONE has stuffed us haven't they?

"We just have to figure out how to improve this VERY YOUNG TEAM!"

Not sure what a young team has to do with 3rd and goal from the 2 by trying a deep handoff 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage?

This was FIU's first senior class, a senior class who only played 3 years of competition. Give FIU two more years and they possibly go bowling.

Rick

FIU only lost to K-state by 14...

And Texas Tech only beat K State by 39 today(59-20) with their third straight different QB in.........3 years.

Of course, he's the third straight different Senior to start in 3 years because TT grooms their QB's and prepares them to run their system. North Texas on the other hand is on their 3rd freshman or redshirt freshman to start in 6 years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Speaking of TT and their spread offense, I would LOVE for us to start working in that direction. I wouldn't care if it took a 3-5 year transition period. TT and Boise are the programs that we should emulate. What the hell was Boise when we were conference mates? Nothing special. Now they consistently score points and win games with less than spectacular athletes and a less than beautiful stadium. With the OL that we tend to recruit, this "smash mouth" power game has just got to go. BTW, a beautiful new stadium would be FANTASTIC! But that's not a guarantee that we will win football games. SMU has a very nice little stadium, but what has it gotten them! Not much.

Tech's OC is Skip Dykes (Spike's son). Like Tech or not they are putting on a good show. It's funny but if you open it up on O good players will come your way. Another example - UTEP has always had a good supply of above average QB because the players know they will get a chance to shine.

Speaking of TT and their spread offense, I would LOVE for us to start working in that direction. I wouldn't care if it took a 3-5 year transition period. TT and Boise are the programs that we should emulate. What the hell was Boise when we were conference mates? Nothing special. Now they consistently score points and win games with less than spectacular athletes and a less than beautiful stadium. With the OL that we tend to recruit, this "smash mouth" power game has just got to go. BTW, a beautiful new stadium would be FANTASTIC! But that's not a guarantee that we will win football games. SMU has a very nice little stadium, but what has it gotten them! Not much.

We won't be working in that direction anytime soon. mad.gif Smash mouth football with undersized linemen is almost an oxymoron.

And Texas Tech only beat K State by 39 today(59-20) with their third straight different QB in.........3 years.

Of course, he's the third straight different Senior to start in 3 years because TT grooms their QB's and prepares them to run their system.  North Texas on the other hand is on their 3rd freshman or redshirt freshman to start in 6 years.

Rick

If any of us could set back the hands of time as to where the great Drew Smith would not have had such a terrible and tragic accident and Drew with that million dollar smile still gracing us on this good earth, any of us would set back the clock if we only could; but the thing is as you all know by now, this was to be Andrew Smith's team this Fall--not Daniel Meager or Byerlys.

If it were a perfect world (and we all know that it isn't) RS frosh Dan Meager would be on the bench this year seeing spot duty (just like Drew did under Scott Hall) continuing to learn the system and probably would have come in the Fall of 2006 as one of our top 2 QB's in Denton.

Texas Tech will find out next week against UT if they are for real or will it be just another Red Raider football team that finishes somewhere in the middle of the pack of their conference race which is the norm for them.

FWIW, I am 54 years old and to my recollection, Texas Tech has never won an outright conference football championship in my lifetime. Not entirely sure what they did before ex NT Hayden Fry staff member DeWitt Weaver led the way to get them in the SWC in 1956, but one year they tied for an SWC football championship with about 3 other schools (but not an outright football championship).

I am sure TTechsters everywhere wonder if their school will ever win a football championship exclusive to them and now in a much tougher Big 12 where several other schools dwarf the Red Raiders athletic budget.

The Red Raiders do seem to have taken it to a higher level this year, but again, the UT game next week will give us all a big clue as to what level they are. Texas Tech also just happen to run the kind of offense I love to watch (as do our casual/borderline football fans I think we'd all agree). cool.gif After all, NCAA football is in the entertainment and ticket-selling business and any college in the Metroplex who doesn't understand that better take a quick course in Entertainment 101 so they will. wink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I will take the style that TT runs any year over this sad state of football. Besides, you run something like that and you pack the stands more than this boring, run it up the middle type football. True TT may have not won a conf title in a long time, but would you rather be in the Big 12, competing with Top 25 teams, or be winning the Sun Belt every year?

TT may not win next week, because they will be playing the second best team in the nation, but they will probably keep it close. They will finish second this year in the Big 12 South.

Agrred, Drews accident was tragic. But, DD should have signed a JC QB. Even if Bryley had not flunked out we were not going to have any experience.

We had a bee-line on an outstanding JUCO QB last recruiting season and he was very, very close to signing with the Mean Green until Nebraska moved in on him at the last minute. NT had for quite a while done all the right nurturing with this kid from all accounts, too, but what can anyone in the non BCS do when the Cornhuskers come into the picture? blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If it were a perfect world (and we all know that it isn't) RS frosh Dan Meager would be on the bench this year seeing spot duty (just like Drew did under Scott Hall)

Then by your analogy Meager takes us to a bowl win this year since Drew did it his redshirt freshman season, learning from Hall in '01.

Texas Tech will find out next week against UT if they are for real or will it be just another Red Raider football team that finishes somewhere in the middle of the pack of their conference race which is the norm for them.

Tech lost to UT by 3, while whipping the shit out of Texas a&m by 31 in '03, then beat Navy in their bowl game. In '04 they lost to Texas by 30, but beat TCU by 35, Nebraska by 60, Baylor by 25, Oklahoma State by 16 and beat a 9th ranked Cal team by 14 in their bowl game.

Evidently the fact that TT went 8-4, 2-3 in the Big 12 last year didn't deter the more than 52,000 plus from showing up to see their inexperienced QB Hodges throw for 643 yards and 5 touchdowns in a rout over K State today.

Rick

Then by your analogy Meager takes us to a bowl win this year since Drew did it his redshirt freshman season, learning from Hall in '01.

Tech lost to UT by 3, while whipping the shit out of Texas a&m by 31 in '03,  then beat Navy in their bowl game.  In '04 they lost to Texas by 30, but beat TCU by 35,  Nebraska by 60, Baylor by 25, Oklahoma State by 16 and beat a 9th ranked Cal team by 14 in their bowl game. 

Evidently the fact that TT went 8-4, 2-3 in the Big 12 last year didn't deter the more than 52,000 plus from showing up to see their inexperienced QB Hodges throw for 643 yards and 5 touchdowns in a rout over K State today.

Rick

IMO, Meager is just not the main problem on this football team and I think most all who have seen this team play this year know that by now. He did not have a good game tonight, but what else are we going to do with this offense at this point of the season? A few answers would be nice because we all know what the problems are. sad.gif

We are drastically missing academic casualty T. J. Raymond on this defensive line and it seems Isaac Thomas does not yet have his strength back from his near heat stroke last summer. Both of those guys were being counted on heaveily to being the "stoppers' that we just don't have on this defensive line.

Texas Tech fans get to watch Big 12 football every Fall. NT fans get to watch SBC football every Fall. Not sure that we should even compare anything we ever do to Texas Tech because they are light years ahead of us. I think most of us would love to see NT borrow their offensive play book, though. rolleyes.gif

GMG!