Your worst nightmare experience in class

eulesseagle

Sophmore English Lit......to get extra credit to bring my grade up I asked for some extra work. I was to write a 5 page explanation of Billy Budd. I turned it in the day before the final like I was told to. The prof took one short glance (maybe 5-10 seconds) and said that this was the worst shi_ she had ever read. She told me I was going to make a "D" in the class. I asked her, "Do I have to take the final?" Then she said if I dont I will make an "F." I made a "D."

K, mine's not quite that bad, but here it goes...

I was taking the Neuropsychopharmacology class (it's actually really good) and all through the semester we'd had multiple-choice questions on the exams. For the final, our professor gave us a 5 question essay exam.

He didn't show up for the final until 30 minutes after it was scheduled to start. We all feverishly worked to answer the questions, but each one had multiple parts, so it was taking forever. The professor announced when we had 30 minutes left. No one had finished with question 3. And then, the professor said "It shouldn't take you so long! All you have to do is list answers." Well, we explained to him that essay doesn't mean list, and they are two very different things.

Most of us didn't finish the exam on time. He did give us an extra 30 minutes since he was late, but anyone who had a final directly after that one was basically screwed. I have to say, that was the hardest exam I ever took - and that includes the Organic Chemistry exams!

Edited by untgirl04

I've had some D's and even a couple of F's. (one I made up, the other is Algebra and its just plain hard). But I don't know if I've ever had a bad "experience" in a class. My bad grades were due to freshman laziness/college distractions. I learned my lesson and I excel in my major and minor classes, but still have problems with the cores. ph34r.gif

I was a philosophy major....

First day of my Existentialism class... The professor, whom i have taken before and knows my opinions on certain things, walked in to class looked around and stopped for a second when he saw me and a close friend of mine (whom he also knows his views). He then said to the whole class while looking at us, "There are a few people in this class that I encourage not to be here. Some people may not be able to handle the things discussed because of their prior views. You need to drop this course and add another."

needless to say, i didn't drop the class and I finished with a B in the course. My friend finished with an A. Man, he didn't like our opinions.

Edited by Travis

I had a Calculus professor teaching College Algebra. She turned her back to the class and just started writing away on the chalk board. She always wondered why our test/quiz grades were so low.

Not exactly the greatest experience I had in my first semester at NT.

Oh i can give a strange experience actually, although it didn't involve me being scared or embarrassed.

In my Emergency Management Terrorism class our professor said something to the extent that "most terrorists currently are Islamic Terrorists, but please make sure you know that 99% of Muslims don't have a drop of terrorist in their blood". Some girl raised her hand and was like "yeah I remember when I was on some boat in the navy that all of the men (Arabic descent) were weak, and that whole race of people are just a weak people". blink.gifunsure.gif

The whole class was basically in shock and it was at the end of the class so we just kind of dismissed from there. Very shocking that someone with that much ignorance was in the same Senior-level class as I was.

Well I took Algebra1 2 times. The first teacher I had was from Mexico and spoke very little english and therefore I took it again. The second guy was oriental and would write a problem on the board and show the problem to the class. Then he would turn his back to us and solve the problem, turn around and say "SEE....Yes". After a couple of class I finally raised my hand after "SEE" and said no so he repeated it. I transfered to a class with a american teacher and was able to get an A.

The math department is screwed

Turney

Edited by Ole Green Guts

My first semester after transferring from SWT. I was 1 lab hour short in my basics. I took a 1 hr MicroBiology lab. It was me a 20 yr old Business Major with 25 Pre-Med Tams students. (Tams is a program where you can take your last 2 yrs of High School concurrent with your first 2 yrs of college.)

These students were stellar. Smart. And believe it or not very stand-offish to the outsider. I was on my own. These kids took serious to the next level. However I did make friends with the Lab Prof. I made a very hard "C" vs 25 Easy "A's"

It was a great experience. These students excelled in every area and I must say Kudos to the TAMS program.

I was taking some chemistry class and went for the final. I was running a little late and parked in front of a meter on Hickory. I got out of my car to put money in the meter and my door closed. Went to open it and the door was locked with my car still RUNNING!!!!!!!!!! I had about 10 minutes before the final with no notes for some last minute cramming, no calculator or anything. So I had to head to class with my car running to take a VERY hard final. I had to ask the Prof to borrow his calculator which didn't make him happy since he said at the beginning of the semester that he would NOT lend out his calc. That was the quickest final I've ever taken.

This was from the late fifty's but I remember it still.

My Government class was discussing the impact of the political parties in the decision making phase. The prof was a "card carrying democrat" to put it mildly. After discussing the "demoncratic" party all semester, we didn't have time to even include the Republicans! Class dismissed! The semester was over!

I think I passed. tongue.gif

Oh i can give a strange experience actually, although it didn't involve me being scared or embarrassed.

In my Emergency Management Terrorism class our professor said something to the extent that "most terrorists currently are Islamic Terrorists, but please make sure you know that 99% of Muslims don't have a drop of terrorist in their blood". Some girl raised her hand and was like "yeah I remember when I was on some boat in the navy that all of the men (Arabic descent) were weak, and that whole race of people are just a weak people".  blink.gif  unsure.gif

The whole class was basically in shock and it was at the end of the class so we just kind of dismissed from there. Very shocking that someone with that much ignorance was in the same Senior-level class as I was.

I graduated with a EADP degree 9 years ago. I truly hope that program has improved over the years. I still shudder when I think of how inept most of the professors were. After Katrina I hoped to see the department get some air time as it is supposedly a top program in the field. I did not see one professor make it on the news.

I certainly would not have chosen that field if I could go back in time. Of course as many of you may attest to, unless you get a proffesional degree, many people do not work in their degree field. Which brings to mind a new topic!

Well I took Algebra1 2 times. The first teacher I had was from Mexico and spoke very little english and therefore I took it again. The second guy was oriental and would write a problem on the board and show the problem to the class. Then he would turn his back to us and solve the problem, turn around and say "SEE....Yes". After a couple of class I finally raised my hand after "SEE" and said no so he repeated it. I transfered to a class with a american teacher and was able to get an A.

The math department is screwed

I think I had that same Asian guy, only it was during the summer session. It was horrible. I also had a botany lab teacher that had learned to speak english from listening to rock and roll growing up in Tawain or someplace. Whenever his accent was too thick for the word and we couldn't understand him he would recite a line from some 50-60's rock song (I was there in the late 80's). As long as you were up on music you were ok! "The tee has a oody stem" blink.gif

Edited by CorinthEagle

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of

production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline

the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

By cutting down beautiful forest trees, the logger makes $20.

What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class

participation after answering the question: How did the forest birds

and squirrels feel as the logger cut down the trees. (There are no

wrong answers.)

These students excelled in every area and I must say Kudos to the TAMS program.

Ahh, yes... TAMS. My first Physics class was probably about 30% TAMS. It was the first class I ever struggled in. I scored in the 40s and 50s on the first two tests. The prof privately recommended that I drop the class.

My main problem at first was that I didn't know how to handle strug-ah-ling. I buckled down and started reading the chapter BEFORE the lecture, and doing most of my homework in a tutoring room in the Physics building. After working my ass off, I got a 78 on the third test. I had never before been proud of a C.

I got a nice gutcheck when I looked at the TAMS kid sitting next to me, who had scored a 96.

Overall it worked out. I ended up with a B.

I graduated with a EADP degree 9 years ago.  I truly hope that program has improved over the years.  I still shudder when I think of how inept most of the professors were.  After Katrina I hoped to see the department get some air time as it is supposedly a top program in the field.  I did not see one professor make it on the news. 

I certainly would not have chosen that field if I could go back in time.  Of course as many of you may attest to, unless you get a proffesional degree, many people do not work in their degree field.  Which brings to mind a new topic!

Oh dude, its had to have gotten better since then. I know for certain there's been improvement with the last department head. Dr McEntire just stepped down to do more research rather than teach. Just looking at some of the recent grads who have gotten jobs I can tell its come light years. The new department head even has gone so far in saying that "People go to Harvard for law, people come to UNT for Emergency Management".

I don't know if it was a nightmare experience but it was pretty embarrasing. I was taking Statistics 2 with Dr Kvanli. There were about 250 people in the class and me and my buddy sat on the back row. I was reading the NT Daily in class and I got into a story and was not paying much attention. I was holding the paper up in front of my face and I faintly heard the words "newspaper" and " hall". I kept reading and then heard the words again. My friend then nudges me with a look of horor on his face and whispering "Put the paper down". I then heard Dr Kvanli say, "If you want to read the paper, go out in the hall". I then lower the paper to see 248 students staring back at me and laughing.

My only night class was Government taught by Mr. Brandis. This was the only class that had a 40-45 pt. curve after every test. The tests were multiple choice buy he always enjoyed making them as deceptive as possible.

After we got our tests back, one night, and everyone making 35-50 one student asked him, "are we here to learn or play games with your tests?" We didn't have a curve for the next test and everyone made 35-50. That will screw your average real fast. Sometimes it just isn't cool to confront the profs.(back in the late 60's.

Guest JohnDenver

It was a great experience. These students excelled in every area and I must say Kudos to the TAMS program.

I bonded with the TAMS kids by talking about Remember the Titans and Boy Meets World. They accepted me as being smart (like them), but emotionally young (like them).

wink.gif

Just kidding, kind of. They never *really* accepted me.

Sidenote:

It wasn't until I found a TAMS grad that I held onto (i.e. is becoming Mrs. JohnDenver) that the other TAMS grads eventually started to like me. Once their emotional age reaches their brain age, they are good people to be around. A couple of the people I see on a weekly basis are products of TAMS and currently in medical school.

I also had a physics I and II problem. I passed physics I the first time through with C. I was an inch away from failing the physics II, so I emailed my prof after the final exam and said this was the only class I needed to graduate. I said I had a job lined up with a great company and the offer is dependant on me getting my diploma. I said, "D stands for diploma in my situation. The economy is crashing and I need this job." I don't know if my test of my email got the D, but hell-fire, I am free! Who the hell really needs Electricity and Magnetism anyway? smile.gif Just kidding.

Edited by JohnDenver

Oh dude, its had to have gotten better since then. I know for certain there's been improvement with the last department head. Dr McEntire just stepped down to do more research rather than teach. Just looking at some of the recent grads who have gotten jobs I can tell its come light years. The new department head even has gone so far in saying that "People go to Harvard for law, people come to UNT for Emergency Management".

Well I am glad to hear that the program has improved. Is Jane Kushma still teaching? I did not think much of her classes but she was a angel of a woman. She got me a internship with the Red Cross in D.C. which I have very fond memories of. The program was not completly void of good professors. Several of the part-time professors from the likes of the EPA, FEMA and so on were very good. But, then you have people like the Colonel (great man bad professor) who would only grade our papers on grammer. To test this I once turned in a paper in my "Computers for Emergency Management" class that was a old English paper. B+! I believe I had some fragmented sentences. Which pissed me off because it made an A in English 101!

I had an upper leverl English Lit class that consisted of 23 woman and two guys. I should have known something was up on the 1st day. Turns out the prof was a card carrying NOW member and had a black belt in man hating. The class focused on woman authors and the general theme was men are cheaters, abusers, and molesters (kind of like the Lifetime channel).

Well, one day in class we got into a debate and during the conversation the prof accused me of being sexist becuase I opened the door for women. I told her it was a product of good manners that my parents taught me, but she insisted it was me showing I was "stronger".

I got a B in the class - and I still open doors for those "weak" women.

Guest JohnDenver

I still open doors for those "weak" women.

really? I close all doors for women. Keep them down!

rolleyes.gif

I had a prof for Technical writing one semester that was big time pro-woman (which I have no problem with). It just got irritating sometimes because from time to time her comments bordered on preachy and confrontational. We were there to learn about making Software Functional Specs and Feature Design Specs, not learn about how referring to a car as a "she" is sexist.

Overall wasn't a bad experience. That is what the University experience is about ... experience people from all over th world that you won't otherwise have contact with. This lady was from France.

I was taking basketball during the summer in the PEB. I was wearing shorts that snap down the sides and how do I say this eloquently....had no other layers underneath them due to laziness with the laundry. Anyway, I went after the ball and another guy dove for it. As I picked it up, he accidentally unsnapped my shorts. I wouldn't care because it was all guys, and the building was usually deserted during the summer, but I happend to be facing three elderly women on the balcony talking and watching us play. Needless to say, I kicked out the outlet pass before I picked my shorts up, lest I stop a potential fast break.

Going into a medical terminology class in my first year out of high school. I was in a rush to get to class on time. I approached the class and saw that they were just about to start, and that the door was wide open so I figured I could slip in unnoticed. Quickly, I rushed to the door BAMMM...........not a door - but a window. A very clean window. Lots of people looking. If they weren't fortunate enough to see it they at least saw a large oil residue that my 18 year old forehead left on the glass.

Toughest class was probably organic chem.