Ok, RV - if you are reading this..

stebo

Here's a novel thought.

Why not take something positive that has tradition behind it(17 years old now) like the War Trophy we brought back from Lubbotocks, and make some badly needed money with it benefitting the Mean Green Club.

DING!!!!!, green light turns on like a beacon in the night!

How difficult is it for our athletic department to see the opportunity that lies before them by selling packages of Green Tortilas at conessions?

If your going to throw tortillas to celebrate our scores, your going to buy them from us.

YOUR GOING TO TELL ME THAT WE COULD MAKE MONEY BY HAVING PEOPLE ACTUALLY PAY TO COME AND THROW BAKED PIECES OF BREAD?

BRILLIANT!!!!

Just makes too much damn sense doesn't it?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Wow i thought it was just us at the Tulsa game. They threatened to arrest us if we threw the tortillas ( we did anyways).But we brought seat cussions in without hassel so i dont see anything wrong about that. The tortillas are just a cool thing to do to get the fans involved. They need to quit being Nazis about foolish things that dont harm anyone. Anyways i seriously doubt there going to stop the tortillas, over half of the home side was doing at the Tulsa game. We needed some spirt after that loss.

People shouldn't throw things a public events.

Universities shouldn't rip off other schools traditions.

Throwing tortillas is racist in orgin, as Tech did to insult hispanic teams.

That is an IDIOTIC statement. Tech originally started to throw tortillas in hope of getting a Fiesta Bowl invite... as did MANY OTHER UNIVERSITIES. That is why it has NEVER been a Texas Tech tradition, it has always been a Fiesta Bowl invitation tradition AT MOST... but we adapted it to fit OUR University as most schools do with traditions... like cannons, giant spirit bells, and cheerleaders. Another "tradition" that multiple schools use is the throwing of oragnes onto the field when they are in the hunt for an Orange Bowl invite. Has been done by Florida, LSU, and Tennessee (among dozens of others). The big difference is that Tech students found the tortilla tossing to be FUN so they kept doing it for a few years, way after their Fiesta Bowl had come and gone. North Texas went into Lubbock and stole a game from Tech - and stole the tortilla tossing at the end of the game by throwing their tortillas BACk at their own fans. We adapted it as our own and now we throw them as a reminder that our fiesty Mean Green can overcome the obstacles going against us and beat ANYONE if we want it bad enough. I have thrown tortillas in celebration at nearly every Sun Belt Away game as well... the folks in Murfreesboro freaking hate that we showered tortillas all over their stadium during our last two meetings there. It has evolved into a North Texas tradition rather then just a Fiesta Bowl Invite tradition.

While we are on the subject, lots of "traditions"/celebrations/game day atmosphere events get "borrowed" from lots of different teams even at the Pro level. It wasn't too long ago that cheerleader were only present at Dallas Cowboys games. None of the other pro teams had cheerleaders, the 'Boys were the first. So are the other 32 professional football teams "stealing" the Cowboys tradition by making it their own? Hardly. Having cheerleaders, a cannon, a giant victory bell, and yes... even tortillas - are all very unoriginal ideas... but they are part of our traditions.

I can't believe that you actually bought into the ignorant idea that Tech students threw tortillas out of racism. That is a ridiculous accusation. They started throwing them merely out of the desire to go to the Fiesta Bowl... and they weren't even the first team to try that tactic to try and woo the invitation committee from Arizona, UT was actually the first that tried it from what I have read - but literally dozens of other schools have copied it over time. We are the only fan base that does it out of celebration for a score and it took a huge come-from-behind North Texas win in Lubbock for our fanbase to adopt it.

John Denver has the full story up on his website, I am sure he can post the link - YET AGAIN - if you still haven't gotten around to reading it. UGH!!!

Here's a novel thought. 

Why not take something positive that has tradition behind it(17 years old now) like the War Trophy we brought back from Lubbotocks, and make some badly needed money with it benefitting the Mean Green Club. 

DING!!!!!, green light turns on like a beacon in the night!

How difficult is it for our athletic department to see the opportunity that lies before them by selling packages of Green Tortilas at conessions?

If your going to throw tortillas to celebrate our scores, your going to buy them from us.

YOUR GOING TO TELL ME THAT WE COULD MAKE MONEY BY HAVING PEOPLE ACTUALLY PAY TO COME AND THROW BAKED PIECES OF BREAD?

BRILLIANT!!!!

Just makes too much damn sense doesn't it?

Rick

That is a pretty damn good idea Rick... My company makes corn tortillas (we are one of the few restaurants that makes our own corn tortillas rather then simply buy them pre-packed) - and I would be willing to gather some information as to how much the athletic department could make off of them if anyone would want to know... nudge nudge, wink wink! We could even make them green for them!

i have a buddy who is in class with this girl who said that last year she had a class with scott hall who said that the team plays harder if they know that tortillas will be thrown in support of their efforts!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Hey Eagle D, theres a first time for everything tongue.gif

Steve, we inspected the one on Lancaster two or three weeks back, and their tortilla machine is in the back down in the basement. A little ol lady was sitting right there running it while we walked through. I noticed how they are made with that thing and I was thinking, that once our new stadium is built, it would be quite easy to have whoever? make them smaller, in diameter that is, so that they don't travel as far and get onto the field disrupting the game. That is why Tech has been forced to stop I have been told?

By the way, remember the TCU game a couple of years ago when they were intertaining the Fiesta Bowl officials trying to get their invite? A represenative from Tostitos was inside the stadium handing out bags of Tostitos and people were throwing them around all night long each time TCU scored.

Also, one unique thing about our other traditions that we didn't start. Boomer is as far as I have been able to find out, the only full size muzzleloading gun used in college. And I haven't been able to find out completely, but I do not know of another 1500 lb, motorized bell used in college either. So there you are, two pretty unique traditions there.

If the AD dept would promote this while also making some money off of it that in itself would be VERY UNIQUE, thus another opportunity to make headlines when the media talks about our program. Plus it shows our continued commitment to sell fun.

Rick

Steve, we inspected the one on Lancaster two or three weeks back, and their tortilla machine is in the back down in the basement.  A little ol lady was sitting right there running it while we walked through.  I noticed how they are made with that thing and I was thinking, that once our new stadium is built, it would be quite easy to have whoever? make them smaller, in diameter that is, so that they don't travel as far and get onto the field disrupting the game.  That is why Tech has been forced to stop I have been told?

We could EASILY set up a tort machine with some green MASA at the games to make them right in front of people. That would be a really cool gimmick. Come on RV, lets embrace this fun tradition - not force it to go away with the strong arm of the rent-a-cops.

Ok....I'm not opposed to the tortilla tossing, but what if someone catches one in the eye and gets injured? Who is liable? If the AD SELLS them at the game for people to throw, I'm pretty sure they'd definitely be liable at that point.

I like the tradition and think it should be continued, but I think asking the AD to sell them at the games is probably going too far. Asking them to call off the cops would sure be nice, but I'm pretty sure that the same people who would request, from a security guard, to have a group of people SIT DOWN at games are the ones complaining about the tortillas. Seems to me that the AD ought to tell all security guards to INGORE people who complain about people standing.

Edited by TIgreen01

Ok....I'm not opposed to the tortilla tossing, but what if someone catches one in the eye and gets injured?  Who is liable?  If the AD SELLS them at the game for people to throw, I'm pretty sure they'd definitely be liable at that point.

I can't tell you how many people I personally know who have been blinded by flying corn-based products. rolleyes.gif

I don't really see people getting hit in the eyes with tortillas. Now, in earlier posts about TCU and the Tostitos sponsors handing out chips... I could see that being a problem. In the years that we've been throwing tortillas, I have never heard of anyone being injured by them - except maybe the people who eat the tortillas instead of throwing them. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I think it's a fantastic moneymaker and can be a great way to get a cool tradition going at UNT (I'm talking about buying the green tortillas at the game). Athletics can sell them for pretty cheap. In fact, get some ziplock bags, print a little logo on it (not too expensive if you do a lot of them) and package the tortillas in those. That way, if people have any left after the game, they can save their tortillas in the special Mean Green tortilla package.... or something like that.

If that's too expensive, use paper bags. Have recycle bins outside the stadium (which they should have anyway) and ask people to throw their trash in the proper receptacles. That would even make the tree huggers happy. And maybe athletics could get some volunteer student crews to clean up tortillas after the games - maybe like the "Tortilla Sweepers" or something like that. Give the studetns shirts when they help out, and I'll bet you'll have more than enough people to clean up the mess.

North Texas went into Lubbock and stole a game from Tech - and stole the tortilla tossing at the end of the game by throwing their tortillas BACk at their own fans.  We adapted it as our own and now we throw them as a reminder that our fiesty Mean Green can overcome the obstacles going against us and beat ANYONE if we want it bad enough. 

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Ok Steve that line got me.

I understand that is how it got started. But, you can not tell me that anyone in those stands are throwing tortillas because of the big win, beat anyone if we try hard enough attitude. "We" are throwing tortillas because it is fun! Plain and simple that is it.

I would like for fans to be able to continue throwing tortillas but will not be upset if they end the tradition. I have to assume the only reason they want it to stop is because of the mess it creates and the expense of cleaning it up. Which seems reasonable to me.

Only a handful of people even know how it started.

Only a handfull of people know about "insert tradition here", so what's the difference? That's becaue we have done such a sorry job of promoting them over the years.

As of right now, we cannot even get a single, controlled, unified chant other than the "North Texas" chant, which starts out great but no one knows when it's to end, and then it ends up sounding retarded. I and several other students and alumns spent a good amount of money last december having large, hand-held signs and informational flyers printed up, then handed flyers out to fans who entered the Super Dome prior to the game. But two days prior, I hiked 12 blocks across N.O. over to the cheerleaders hotel to get the signs to them so they would have them before the pep rally that Sunday. They were to do it during the N.O. Bowl game so that we could pretend like we have our $hit together like every other school does with unified chants and all. The cheerleaders decided before the game they wouldn't do it. When I asked why? The told me their sponsor told them they couldn't. I went to school with their sponsor/coach and knew who she was so I asked her during the third quarter and she knew nothing of it. End of my effort to ever try to do anything else for the cheerleaders.

As I have stated a 1,000 times already as an example. We had an alumni family invest thousands to bring back a long standing(but lost for a time) tradition in the 1500lb victory bell, had it mounted on a motorized vehicle and customized with paint and logos and it's kept over behind the stadium during the game rather than out front so people can see and hear it. I doubt it will be seen on TV next Tuesday night, even though NMSU who has a bell that doesn't even compare to our, got credit as a tradition for them in Sports Illustrated. You would think as bad as we are hurting to get our name out, that we would want to promote as many traditions to the world as possible?

And by the way, I was there in '88. I throw tort's in honor of that team. But I'm just that way. Next Tuesday we will honor another team that did the unthinkable back in '75. I'll throw one for them too.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

And by the way, I was there in '88.  I throw tort's in honor of that team.  But I'm just that way.  Next Tuesday we will honor another team that did the unthinkable back in '75.  I'll throw one for them too.

Rick

That fired me up!!

I will have some tortillas to throw with you!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!

Only a handfull of people know about "insert tradition here", so what's the difference?  That's becaue we have done such a sorry job of promoting them over the years.

As of right now, we cannot even get a single, controlled, unified chant other than the "North Texas" chant, which starts out great but no one knows when it's to end, and then it ends up sounding retarded.  I and several other students and alumns spent a good amount of money last december having large, hand-held signs and informational flyers printed up, then handed flyers out to fans who entered the Super Dome prior to the game. But two days prior,  I hiked 12 blocks across N.O. over to the cheerleaders hotel to get the signs to them so they would have them before the pep rally that Sunday. They were to do it during the N.O. Bowl game so that we could pretend like we have our $hit together like every other school does with unified chants and all.  The cheerleaders decided before the game they wouldn't do it.  When I asked why?  The told me their sponsor told them they couldn't.  I went to school with their sponsor/coach and knew who she was so I asked her during the third quarter and she knew nothing of it.  End of my effort to ever try to do anything else for the cheerleaders.

As I have stated a 1,000 times already as an example.  We had an alumni family invest thousands to bring back a long standing(but lost for a time) tradition in the 1500lb victory bell, had it mounted on a motorized vehicle and customized with paint and logos and it's kept over behind the stadium during the game rather than out front so people can see and hear it.  I doubt it will be seen on TV next Tuesday night, even though NMSU who has a bell that doesn't even compare to our, got credit as a tradition for them in Sports Illustrated.  You would think as bad as we are hurting to get our name out, that we would want to promote as many traditions to the world as possible?

And by the way, I was there in '88.  I throw tort's in honor of that team.  But I'm just that way.  Next Tuesday we will honor another team that did the unthinkable back in '75.  I'll throw one for them too.

Rick

Yeah, I was at the NO Bowl and got a handout and everything...then the game started and nobody else around me was doing to the kickoff yell....it was disappointing. Has there been any effort to try to get that started up during our home games this year? Was the band ever approached with the idea?...or did they drop the ball like the cheerleaders? Seems like the band would be the best place to start with new cheers b/c you instantly have 300+ all doing it together.