Hey Mean Grean Fans!

Weatherdemon

Hey guys,

1) Admin, I pinned your post on the TU Football board. Chris has been pretty busy so I went ahead and did it.

2) Obviously you have a strong running game. Is your passing game enough to keep the other team off balance or is your typical gameplan to just punish the defense inside and pound it out?

3) OU's Peterson and Maroney do most of their damage in the open field. How does this compare to your guys?

4) Is your defensive weakness against the run or pass or is it pretty good against both?

I think this is going to be a very good and very close game! I think TU wins but I can see where UNT has a good chance at the victory. I think the line is you guys by 6.

Hey Weatherdemon, thanks for the link. We are very much looking forward to the game and hope to show you and all the tulsa fans a lot of hospitality on Saturday. I put my responses in caps:

2) Obviously you have a strong running game. Is your passing game enough to keep the other team off balance or is your typical gameplan to just punish the defense inside and pound it out? WE WILL ALWAYS USE THE RUN TO SET UP THE PASS. WE HAVE A STRONG RUNNING GAME LED BY PATRICK COBBS AND JAMARIO THOMAS. WE WILL TRY TO PUNISH YOU INSIDE AND OUT WITH THE RUNNING GAME SETTING UP THE PLAY ACTION. IF WE CAN RUN THE BALL ON YOU WATCH OUT BUT IF YOU CAN STOP THE RUN WE COULD BE IN TROUBLE.

3) OU's Peterson and Maroney do most of their damage in the open field. How does this compare to your guys? LIKE I SAID INSIDE AND OUT, COBBS IS QUICK AND STRONG MORE LIKE MARONEY, THOMAS IS STRONG AND VERY FAST LIKE AP.

4) Is your defensive weakness against the run or pass or is it pretty good against both? I THINK OUR CORNERS ARE TOP NOTCH AS ARE OUR LINEBACKERS. I WOULD SAY IT IS REALLY TOO EARLY TO TELL WHAT OUR STRENGTH AND WEAKNESSES ARE CAUSE WE ONLY HAVE HAD ONE GAME.

I think this is going to be a very good and very close game! I think TU wins but I can see where UNT has a good chance at the victory. I think the line is you guys by 6. I AGREE 100% A COUPLE OF RETURN QUESTIONS:

1). WHAT HAPPENED TO ASHLAN DAVIS? DID HE NOT PLAY AGAINST OU? I SAW HE MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES AGAINST MINNESOTA AND WONDERED IF HE WAS HURT OR BENCHED.

2). WHO DO YOU EXPECT THE STARTING QB TO BE, SMITH OR JOHNSON?

3). WHAT IS THE SIZE AND SPEED OF #30 MILLS?

Thanks!

Since you responded in caps, I won't ;o)

1). WHAT HAPPENED TO ASHLAN DAVIS? DID HE NOT PLAY AGAINST OU? I SAW HE MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES AGAINST MINNESOTA AND WONDERED IF HE WAS HURT OR BENCHED. - He was suspended for the OU game for "Condunt Detrimental to the Team" Read what you want from that. I don't know if was a missed curfew, late to practice, or what. Last I heard he should be available vs UNT.

2). WHO DO YOU EXPECT THE STARTING QB TO BE, SMITH OR JOHNSON?

Smith all the way. He was GREAT vs OU. Hitting guys right in the hands while being hit by OU DL and LB's. He can well enough to get out of trouble but he is not going to win games by scrambling. If he gets hurt, most TU fans including me feel Johnson is more of a #1a guy than a #2 and we feel very good if he has to come in.

3). WHAT IS THE SIZE AND SPEED OF #30 MILLS?

Mills is only 6'2 and around 235. His speed is not great, maybe 4.55? Not real sure.

He runs perfect routes, has great hands, and is hard to bring down. He will line up at TE, H-back, and even as a wideout.

Weatherdemon,

How is Mike Mengers doing? Our son and Mike played together all through Junior High, High School and Junior College. For the first time, they will be on opposite teams.

A lot of people are coming from our hometown to watch the game this weekend and many are unsure who to pull for since they're both from the same town.

Smith I would think should get the start. There was one play in particular during the OU game where he was about to take a sack after the pocket broke down and was able to place a perfect throw, I think it wa to Mills, which made an unthinkable catch. Should be real fun to watch.

There was also a post on the Tulsa board that said if neither of our RB's broke 200 then they are not the real deal and Petereson and Maroney are better. While I do think that Peterson and Maroney are amazing and get over 200 yds almost regularly, I don't think that having 2 backs of this caliber means either of them should get over 200 yds rushing. I would rather see them both combine for over 200 yds. Ideal situation would be they combine for 300 yds total. If they can both get about 150, I would be very even more impressed than just one going over 200.

Weatherdemon,

How is Mike Mengers doing?  Our son and Mike played together all through Junior High, High School and Junior College.  For the first time, they will be on opposite teams. 

A lot of people are coming from our hometown to watch the game this weekend and many are unsure who to pull for since they're both from the same town.

Mengers is doing well. He is a starter. He got a little excited at the beginning of the OU game but setteled down and played a solid game. Our O-line is mch improved over the last couple of years. We are all pretty happy about that!

Smith I would think should get the start.  There was one play in particular during the OU game where he was about to take a sack after the pocket broke down and was able to place a perfect throw, I think it wa to Mills, which made an unthinkable catch.  Should be real fun to watch.

There was also a post on the Tulsa board that said if neither of our RB's broke 200 then they are not the real deal and Petereson and Maroney are better.  While I do think that Peterson and Maroney are amazing and get over 200 yds almost regularly, I don't think that having 2 backs of this caliber means either of them should get over 200 yds rushing.  I would rather see them both combine for over 200 yds.  Ideal situation would be they combine for 300 yds total.  If they can both get about 150, I would be very even more impressed than just one going over 200.

I watched most of the MTSU game and the UNT backs seemed a little quicker but not as powerful as Maroney and Peterson. Even if they weren't quite as powerful as those two we will still our hands WAY full with both of them.

If they both get 150 we are in trouble. I would expect if you all get over 250 rushing yards you will have it won.

I watched most of the MTSU game and the UNT backs seemed a little quicker but not as powerful as Maroney and Peterson. Even if they weren't quite as powerful as those two we will still our hands WAY full with both of them.

If they both get 150 we are in trouble. I would expect if you all get over 250 rushing yards you will have it won.

Weatherdemon, the MTSU game was not a very good barometer of Jamario Thomas at all. He didn't get his usual carries as to break one of his long runs.

Last summer, I thought Tulsa would be a gimmee' of a game based on your season last Fall and our 2 RB's and good offensvie line for this Fall. I think the whole college football world is wondering what kind of guage OU is now because TCU beat OU, the TU GH plays them impressively close, SMU beats TCU so when Baylor plays the Sooner, are they going to be a 22 point favorite over the crimson and cream? biggrin.gif

I watched much of your game against OU, was duly impressed with your team and was pulling for a Golden Hurricane win, but as we all know, the Big Boys do have this depth thing working for them.

It may have already been asked, but how many TU fans you feel are coming to Denton this Saturday?

ANOTHER QUESTION: How many Tulsa alums live in the DFW area? Any idea on that?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

What's the story on your TE? That guy was killer against OU, and had they not buckled down in time, you'd be the 2nd team adding a W to your OU slot.

Here is the official story:

Tulsa -- A three-year letterwinner and two-year starter . . . has played in all 37 games since coming to Tulsa . . . has started 20 games in his career . . . a candidate for the John Mackey Award . . . named to the 2005 Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List . . . a two-time first-team all-WAC selection . . . has caught a pass in 27 consecutive games, which is the longest current streak among the nation's tight ends entering the 2005 campaign . . . enters the 2005 season as the No. 7 ranked tight end in the country by The Sporting News . . . has 114 receptions for 1,154 yards and 14 touchdowns in his career . . . a three-time all-WAC Academic selection . . . 2004 -- Played in all 12 games and started 11 contests . . . earned first-team all-WAC accolades . . . was the team leader in receiving with 51 receptions for 560 yards and two touchdowns . . . had a career-best 139 yards on eight receptions against Boise State . . . also caught 11 passes for 87 yards against Southwest Missouri State . . . named to the 2004 Preseason Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List, and was added to the John Mackey Award list during the season . .

I kinda figured on the MTSU game. Mainly because it your 1rst game due to your graciousness to LSU while MTSU was on #2. That and it being an away game rivalary.

I would expect maybe a couple thousand as most TU fans are relatively happy with how the OU game went.

On Dallas alumn, no clue. Maybe the TU Hurricane can answer?

How Many Tulsa Fans Are Coming?

Good question. It's always hard to tell, because most Tulsans consider a trip to the Metroplex area a "day trip". LOL

The bus trip organized by the Golden Hurricane Club didn't have enough responses to fill the bus ... so that's cancelled.

Many Tulsans get to your area so often that they are likely to come down by car as early as Friday and come back sometime Sunday.

I'm driving down and looking for friends to fill out the car. I'm not certain what the best route is ... so I'll probably MapQuest the trip.

I think this'll be a darn good game!