GO MEAN GREEN!

ipEAGLE

In my opinion we are very lucky for this win tonight... MTSU dominated the first 3 quarters but with all their turnovers had nothing to show for it. MTSU has one heck of a defensive line... our defense looks tiny.

WE HAVE A LOT OF IMPROVING TO DO.... And we have to find a way for Cobbs and JaMario to be on the field at the same time.

I thought the D held well in the red zone, especially when causing the TO's. You can't really fault them when they don't have time to sit down and take a breather.

Try running the length of a football field, then try running it again right after that. I'm almost certain your first time won't be as hard as the second time running.

Yeah, we got lucky, but we all know this is how 1st games can be. A new QB, new DLine, new DBs, and running into an 8-man box...give the team a little break here. Don't freak about RB carries. Switching off means less chance for injury and it keeps them both fresh. When the other team's fast guys are breathing hard, we can put the other RB in and cut a swath right through them. And at any rate, it was kind of a necessity since our QB was untested.

Edited by meangreendork

In my opinion we are very lucky for this win tonight... MTSU dominated the first 3 quarters but with all their turnovers had nothing to show for it.  MTSU has one heck of a defensive line... our defense looks tiny.

WE HAVE A LOT OF IMPROVING TO DO.... And we have to find a way for Cobbs and JaMario to be on the field at the same time.

A win is a win.

To start the season with a VERY young team, a red-shirt freshman QB, against a team that has already played a game and we were on the road, I feel like lucky or not, we stayed in and fought and WON!

I believe that in football you make your own luck.

The deck was stacked against us coming out with a win but we got it and we ain't giving it back!

GMG

In my opinion we are very lucky for this win tonight... MTSU dominated the first 3 quarters but with all their turnovers had nothing to show for it.  MTSU has one heck of a defensive line... our defense looks tiny.

What do they say: Rather be lucky than good? smile.gif I think this MG football team has a chance to be good as they develop each week this season.

NT QB Dan Meager favors his mending shoulder when he passes the ball and I think one of the ESPN guys even mentioned that. I noticed it at one of the scrimmages during 2-a-days as I'm sure some of you did. Yet, he is accurate in the area where we need him to be accurate and the area of a football field where most passes are thrown in the course of a game and (for NT) that is a big, big positive.

Yeppers, ipEALGLE, we were very lucky tonight.

GMG!

I am happy with the carries situation tonight, but with JMO and COBBS being such great athletes it would be beneficial to our team to have them on the field at all times.

I will say right now though that MTSU probably has the best dline in the conference. Littlejon will make an NFL roster next season.

Edited by ipEAGLE

I'd rather be lucky than the "most accurate QB in the SunBelt (Clint Marks). He is accurate all three of those interceptions were right in the NT defensive players hand's. laugh.gif And the two fumbles were not caused by hard hits. wink.gif

I agree we were lucky they missed those two field goals, but our defense caused those 5 turnovers. smile.gif

Muts are snakebit against us.  Meager was 10-15 no ints., not a bad night for a first start.  We looked young, and are, according to George the third youngest 1-A team out there.  A win is a win especially a win at Muts!!  biggrin.gif

You say George Dunham said NT is the 3'rd youngest team in NCAA D1-A? Unbelievable... smile.gif

Lets hope our guys show much improvement from Game 1 to Game 2 vs Tulsa U this Saturday. I think NORTH TEXAS will be TU's 3'rd game of their season. I really thought Tulsa was going to beat OU today until Sooner depth and Peterson came thru in the 4'th quarter. Tulsa is a scary team and we will have our work cut out againt those guys.

GMG!

Muts are snakebit against us.  Meager was 10-15 no ints., not a bad night for a first start.  We looked young, and are, according to George the third youngest 1-A team out there.  A win is a win especially a win at Muts!!  biggrin.gif

The 'more experienced' team made the mistakes tonight and it cost 'um. Our younger guys made fewer mistakes & have the W.

Opinions on Defense:

I was impressed with the D's toughness. They got punched in the mouth but stayed in close and dealt a few punches of their own. The D was on the field for most of the game and turned the Big Mo in NT's favor late. They stopped MTSU when it counted. Something this D could not do against good opponents a year ago. Still, they are little undersized.

Opinions on Offense:

The offense was very disappointing. Super J needs more carries to build up his feel for the game. 10 carries spread over 4 qtrs is not enough to get him rolling, IMO. Patrick is helluva player and is a threat as a receiver. MTSU's interior D-line destroyed NT. Jeff Littlejohn is a monster up front. He was blowing the center off the ball and beating him down like hammer at the point of attack. I hope this was just a case of JLJ jut being a superior talnt, because our guy was getting killed.

In all, I felt NT was a little lucky to come away with a win. Meager did exactly what Dickey expects his QB to do and I commend the young man for being tough in his first start.

Edited by Got5onIt

Thoughts:

Defense: They got pushed, but held their ground when it came to shove. The middle 10 yards from the line was picked apart. It seemed like they exposed our lateral speed. Good job forceing 5 turnovers. You will almost never win when you cough it up that many times. That 96 yard INT return may end up being one of the most important plays this year. We were getting picked apart of defense and flat on offense to that point. I turned to the table I was with and told them we would win the game right after that score. OH, and I know they were saying 91 yards on the TV, but he picked it off on the 4 yard line.

Offense: Flat all game, except of a few plays. On those plays, you can see the flashes of brilliance we will have once they begin to click. O-line has to get better at opening holes, but that will come game by game. Meager held is own for his first game, not too bad. Quinn, is awesome. What an awesome catch, I think he has a chance to get invited to an NFL camp. I dont understand why you dont have PC and JT on the field at the same time. Line PC up as the fullback in the I-formation and use them both as halfbacks in a split blackfield. Having those two and JQ will stress the opposing defense too much. They will have to pay too much attention to one of them and somone will be left unattended. Oh, and why in the world did we not try to move the ball closer for Baz at the end of the first half? We had a timeout. It makes more sense to put the ball on the ground and run to the right to get as close as you can and move the ball to the center of the field, or complete a quick pass to the flats to set up an easier kick.

Overall, we overcame the lack of experience and was able to get a win. Now they have a game under their belt. Lets spend this week making adjustments and lets take out Tulsa next week.

I really hope that kid from MTSU is ok. That was awful. I hoe it doesnt end his career. very few players should have their career ended because of an injury, he isnt one of them.