Cobbs/Thomas

fatcat255

A. Jamario is better.

B. Jamario is the future. Keep him happy.

Well put...that is what I have been telling everyone all night. No offense to PC, but JT is the better back and the "spelling" system is not going to work obviously...

Here's my idea: alternate backs from week to week so they don't get beat up. This week, Pat is 1-A and J-Mo is 1-B. The first is the primary back, the second guy spells him. That way, Each back has something of a minor "off week" to get healthy and rejuvenate. Next week J-Mo is 1-a and Pat is 1-B.

Edited by illuvius32

If DD thinks Thomas is going to be happy with 10 touches a game, I am afraid he is going to be disappointed. Cobbs is a great back, but he is not better than Thomas.

What happened to the plan to have both in the game at the same time. That was tried once.

However, I should not complain a great game by a very young defense. Meager also did well for a first game. Quinn make the offensive play of the game. DD and company also called a good game based on the game circumstances. Great Win. Congrats to the Green.

Why wouldn't Thomas be happy to win? He knows he's the guy next year. I think a lot of people on here are making a much bigger deal out of this than ONE GAME into the season suggests, especially when you consider that our offensive line was really getting overwhelmed early in this game.

I would believe that Cobbs got the majority of playing time because he is more of a veteran - he runs better routes, blocks better, and reads the defense better. These are all things that you might want to help out a young QB.

I think Jamario is a superior athlete, and I'd like him to get more carries than he got tonight, but there's a lot more to it than anyone seems to be willing to think about.

I don't think it bothers Jamario too much. He doesn't seem like a primadonna sort of guy. He knows he owns the spot for at least next year, and he also knows PC has more experience and leadership. I'm sure the splits will be better even, but I think it was a smart call to run Cobbs, especially in the blocking aspect.

I was just hoping to see some big numbers, although I know it's game 1 of the entire season, and those tend to be rough when the opposition is on even terms with you.

Edited by meangreendork

It doesn't matter to me who gets the most carries, and I'm sure it doesn't matter to Jamario either. But it sure does seem to be a VERY strange way to start the season given all the off-season hype.

It is a good move to get PC's feet back under him and get him used to getting popped again. Is also a good move to let him grab hold of the leadership role. Would've expected the carries to be a bit more even after all the hype of the Double-Barrell Running Attack. If PC was tearing it up, maybe it would've made a bit more sense. But in a game this close, seemed to be a bit odd.

Guest UNTMike81*

Man...Tough crowd. Not to say that JT wouldn't have had a great game with more carries, but PC performance tonight was GREAT. He looks much better than JT tonight.

I think DD is going to go with the back that has better production early in the game. If that's JT then he gets more carries, if PC then the carries go his way. Plus PC is very good at letting the play develope in front of him and then moving down the field. Both PC and JT are great backs and were very lucky to have them.

I don't know which one's the better back and I not going to judge at the risk diminishing the talent of one or the other. If PC couldn't get to the corner and JT could then all the "Oh JT only got ten carries" point would be something to consider. Until then all this "who's the man" is just somewhat over blown to me.

Would have enjoyed seeing the team be more productive on both sides of the ball, but this team is young and our first week on the field.

Tulsa is going to be a lot harder game to win than some have thought on this board. If you saw the TU/OU game today you'll understand why. I never thought we'd lose to MUTS but our OOC games will be difficult to win based on the youth of our team.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but towards the beginning of the game Cobbs was running better than Thomas. Apparently Thomas still has a little lingering hammy issue and I think DD was keeping him resteed and healthy for the bigger games. Cobbs has proved he can punish SB defenses as well as the next guy. I don't fault DD at all for making sure Thomas is 100% for games that we will REALLY need them both. Also, like has been said above DD probably wanted to see what Cobbs could do as a feature back after a year off and I think he put all the fears to rest. We will probably see a more balanced attack of DM, PC, and JT af the season progresses and RF gets used to having all the weapons.

North Texas Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LG

Patrick Cobbs 28 103 3.7 1 21

Jamario Thomas 10 58 5.8 0 34

Look a the facts J-Mo still lead in AVG. you have got to give him the ball more because he can break it on any play. I still can't understand why both of them were not in the backfield more together. You have all summer to work this out.