Tight Ends

GrayEagle

Little experience but good talent in this group of three juniors and two freshmen tight end candidates. This is a great group of blockers but not much of a receiving corps.

Charley Brown FR 6-4 235 Muskogee OK

Jimmy Chaney JR 6-5 260 Inola OK

Beau Davidson JR 6-4 230 Katy

Eddrick Gilmore FR 6-5 250 Alief

Robert Harmon JR 6-4 265 Houston

Starter: Harmon

Backup: Davidson

Both of the freshmen were highly touted. Brown was all-area (Tulsa/eastern Oklahoma) and honorable mention all-state. With 19 catches last year, he may be our best all-around candidate. Gilmore had 6 catches but is a devastating blocker. He came into his own last year and was on Top 100 lists. He could be a future star as well. He could also be shifted to defensive end where we may have a greater future need. Two of the three juniors are transfers. Davidson transferred from Syracuse, sat out 2003, and played last year. He was injured and only appeared in eight games. He had 29 receiving yards, our only tight end with yardage in Division 1-A games. Chaney transferred from NEO after finishing there and this will be his first year in a Mean Green uniform. Harmon is the best blocker of the group and will likely start for that reason. However, I have seen him catch the ball in practices and he has pretty decent hands.

I would rate this group a 6. They appear to be a solid group that only needs experience.

Just for the record, Charley was All-State selection...not honarlable mention...in fact he will be playing in the all-state game this friday night at Tulsa Union Tuttle stadium Kick-off is 8pm...Charley is known for his great hands and blocking....Our QB last year didn't get the ball to him too many times last year because of the great running game we had with two backs over 1500 yards each....AAHHHH..Football....I love it

Little experience but good talent in this group of three juniors and two freshmen tight end candidates.  This is a great group of blockers but not much of a receiving corps.

Charley Brown  FR  6-4  235  Muskogee OK

Jimmy Chaney  JR  6-5  260  Inola OK

Beau Davidson  JR  6-4  230  Katy

Eddrick Gilmore  FR  6-5  250  Alief

Robert Harmon  JR  6-4  265  Houston

Starter:  Harmon

Backup:  Davidson

Both of the freshmen were highly touted.  Brown was all-area (Tulsa/eastern Oklahoma) and honorable mention all-state.  With 19 catches last year, he may be our best all-around candidate.  Gilmore had 6 catches but is a devastating blocker.  He came into his own last year and was on Top 100 lists.  He could be a future star as well.  He could also be shifted to defensive end where we may have a greater future need.  Two of the three juniors are transfers.  Davidson transferred from Syracuse, sat out 2003, and played last year.  He was injured and only appeared in eight games.  He had 29 receiving yards, our only tight end with yardage in Division 1-A games.  Chaney transferred from NEO after finishing there and this will be his first year in a Mean Green uniform.  Harmon is the best blocker of the group and will likely start for that reason.  However, I have seen him catch the ball in practices and he has pretty decent hands.

I would rate this group a 6.  They appear to be a solid group that only needs experience.

Start Harmon???? blink.gif

I think we have too much talent at TE for Harmon to start. Maybe he will be a good backup...

Well, aside from the freshman coming in, Harmon is the only TE that we know is definitely healthy. Davidson was banged up a good bit of last year, and Chaney got hurt early in spring practice.

Does anyone know how Chaney is doing?

I'm confused on this point. I thought a TE was supposed to be one of your more durable players? What was the extent of these injuries?

Harmon was the starter at the end of spring drills and the only one with better skills is Davidson. But, as noted, Davidson was hurt during the year and only played in 2/3 of the games. In addition, he is an accomplished long snapper and may have to spend time (in practice) there.

Believe me, Harmon is an excellent blocker and that's what Dickey wants unless we had someone with the receiving skills of the just graduated Andy Blount. Brown may have those skills but it will likely take a year to develop. I did not get to see Chaney play this spring as he was injured but he did not have the reputation of a pass-catching tight end.