Joey Byerly...

NCMeanGreen

I was recently cleaning out my closet and found the Phil Steele 2003 magazine. It had Joey Byerly listed as a 6'4" 215 lb...Defensive Lineman!!! blink.gif

SO...everyone wants to rant about how at least he was a TRUE quarterback, and the likes of a Korey Washington or Steve Warren were not recruited to play QB. I will entrust the QB duties to a DB anyday over a DL or DE!!! rolleyes.gif

This may have been printed incorrectly...but if it is correct, then that is pretty interesting.

Byerly was a HS QB just like Washington and Warren. I think Byerly's size and athleticism intrigued the coaches enough to try and get him on the field as soon as possible considering, at the time, Smith has the next in line behind Hall.

Let us hope that after this season over we have a QB that makes us think of Byerly as a future TE or other position. (if he is ever elgible again)  I want an intelligent QB.

THis is true... take a look at Quincy Carter... just made bad decisions

I was recently cleaning out my closet and found the Phil Steele 2003 magazine.  It had Joey Byerly listed as a 6'4" 215 lb...Defensive Lineman!!! blink.gif

SO...everyone wants to rant about how at least he was a TRUE quarterback, and the likes of a Korey Washington or Steve Warren were not recruited to play QB.  I will entrust the QB duties to a DB anyday over a DL or DE!!! rolleyes.gif

I haven't heard anyone say that they wanted him at QB because he was a TRUE QB.

I think the difference is that Byerly at least had practiced and PLAYED QB in college, and that he had the reps, and that he was our best performer in the offseason (so far) at the position. I trust THAT over a guy just out of high school not recruited to play QB. They didn't name Byerly a starter his FRESHMAN year , so your analogy doesn't really work.

That said, I want whoever performs the best... period. I don't care what position they are slated to play or what scouts thought of them. BUT these guys are TRUE FRESHMEN, and they haven't even gotten any reps at QB. They have no time in the offense, and they need to add some size.

Warren only threw for 489 yards his senior year. He'd probably need a year just to develop his passing. Washington threw for 1,000+ I believe, but is lacking in size, and his TD/INT rate wasn't impressive.

We don't run the option that often, so I don't much care about the 40-time of our QB. What this team needs on offense is a guy who can make the throws and take pressure OFF of the running game. We've already got two running backs, so unless you wanna go and overhaul our offense, you're going to need a guy with a good arm who makes good decisions.

There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't put these guys in at QB right now. Heck, they could perform, but lots of people MIGHT be able to perform. I'd rather hedge my bets on true QBs OR guys who've been in the system getting the reps. Meager is currently the best bet, even given his health concerns.

After that, I'd probably prefer to go with Haynes, Mills, or Phillips before Warren or Washington. The first two have more experience in the offense and Phillips has better size and was more of a true QB in high school (which is going to be more important when you have no college reps).

Guest JohnDenver

Why does it seem like so many people are down on Meager? Washington strikes me more of a scrambing qb from looking at his stats. Like mpox said we need a qb to distribute the rock around and take pressure of the running game.

True, that is what we NEED .. but that isn't what Dickey will give us. ph34r.gif

Dickey will work with what he is given.

I was just thinking that if everything had gone to plan, we would be talking about Andrew Smith getting ready for his Sr. year. Byerly would be on the sidelines getting ready to step in next year. My how things have changed.