QB situation....

Well, I'll only respond to the last question. Near as I could tell from the spring practices, the third stringer was Kellen Hayes (Hanes?). The three battling for the job were Kellen, Jonathan Ieans and Scott Wissell. Of the three, I thought that Wissell was the best, and that Ieans was a total waste of "rep" time......not to mention being a total waste of a "ship".

If we passed a decent amount I would be excited about Kellen Haynes at quarterback. He was a passing whiz at Crosby but that wouldn't seem to translate into this style of offense.

I'm thinking that the third string quarterback will be Matt Phillips, even though he's yet to enroll. He's not supposed to be very fast (4.9) but he seems to have a knack for knowing when to run.

Guest e-bone

The word on the street is that the UNT Qb will take snaps from Chad Rose and hand the ball to [insert name of rushing champ here].

That should do pretty well for us in conference games again, but until we find a QB to keep defenses honest we will keep struggling in OOC games.

The word on the street is that the UNT Qb will take snaps from Chad Rose and hand the ball to [insert name of rushing champ here].

The quarterback (insert name here) had better be able to put at least some forward dynamic motion (aka pass the friggin ball some) or the (insert name of rushing champ) may consistantly run into a brick wall (aka 8 or more in the box) and that's aint all that good. sad.gif

The quarterback (insert name here) had better be able to put at least some forward dynamic motion (aka pass the friggin ball some) or the (insert name of rushing champ) may consistantly run into a brick wall (aka 8 or more in the box) and that's aint all that good. sad.gif

Amen...

Passing for a few yards will back up the defense and help the running backs find space..... plus keeping them guessing is a good thing..... The passing game fairly well should work since we have a great running threat plus we have some good receivers if you can get the ball close to them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

People are quick to forget that this was supposed to be #12's year to shine.  I'm sorry but that is tough to overcome.  It's still hasn't been a year yet that he left us.

Yep. I thought about this as I was wishing we had Steven Jyles, another sunbelt QB that was pressed into service as a Freshman.

Last word was that we have no clue about any of it yet, but we dont usually hear anything until the season is close. As it turns out, a new QB has emerged in summer workouts.

Yes, EMMITT JACKSON has stepped into the starting role as QB for the Mean Green offense. Here are some of the Q&A's from the press conferrence;

Opening statement:

DD: "This is a great day for North Texas Football. I'm proud to announce that Emmitt Jackson has agreed to walk on to the Mean Green program as a quarterback, and will play a significant role this season. He will continue to work his shift at the Dallas Police Department, at least for a couple of weeks. I expect him to be game ready by LSU.

Reporter: Coach Dickey, The scouts and coaches for your upcoming opponents were expecting to see Joey Byerly or Daniel Meager under center. How does this change their approach so close to the season, and will this affect the defenses other teams have been working on?

DD: Well this will really throw some of them off. Preparation is the key to success. EJ will run out there to take the snap, and the LSU defensive coordinator will yell something like..."24 snap...blitz, uh?, who the hell is that guy?"

Reporter: Coach, there are rumors that Emmitt has been seen drinking before games the past few seasons...does this worry you?

DD: I think Emmitt Jackson is a good fit for this team, but I'm a little concerend about his alcohol consumption levels..of course. He is an active-duty police officer, which makes him a great guy and that says a lot about him. I havent seen him with alcohol, but all those stories must have some truth. I've talked to him, and feel he can control the amount of beer he drinks... I'm not so sure about the Jack Daniels.

Reporter: Do you think signing Emmitt could be considerred a distraction to the progress of the other, younger QB's?

DD: I dont think his play could be considerred a distraction, but his drinking habits could be a negative influence on some of the other players? I just got the team over getting hammered in New Orleans once a year, and now they will want to go drink with Emmitt on weekends. His leadership is unquestioned, and his ability to make plays is a neccessity..but I really dont want the team to see him dry-heaving at practice.

Reporter: What changes would you have to make in this offense to work with Emmitt's strengths and weaknesses?

DD: I guess I will ask the center to direct-snap the ball to Cobbs or Jamario when EJ feels sick, which would take the burden of calling cadances off his shoulders. I might have done that anyway this year, so no real concern there... Emmitt will never volutarily come out of a game...we know that. I would rather have Emmitt tell us when he needs a break, but we have a system worked out for that. When he doubles over, or starts talking about the greatness of Barry Manillow, he's either hurt or dilusional...we snap to Jamario.

Reporter: You've expressed concerns about the team not taking practices as seriously as they have in the past. Do you think that is the case with Emmitt in there?

DD:Well, I dont know if that's the case?..The atmosphere is better with Emmitt in there...no question. But, his drinking does leave him open to some extra ribbing from the team. I hear players laughing in the huddle when Emmitt yells "who's ringing the cowbell?" I dont usually allow laughing in the huddle...I mean not usually. For summer workouts...it's not such a bad thing.

Reporter:Emmitt looks to have real ability..and is impressive in the two minute drill. How do you think he is coming along?

DD: These are just summer workouts with no pads.. My coaches are working with him everyday, and he shows a natural ability to move this offense. I cant say I like hearing him yell "Not so loud coach"..and put his hands over his ear holes when we send plays in from the sidelines? I'm not sure how we handle that one yet..maybe hand signals.

Reporter: We all know Emmitt is a competitor and winner. Will he play only QB, or do you have other positions in mind for him?

DD: Emmitt is a natural leader, and has some speed. I may also use him as a punt returner. We asked Muzzy to work with him on that one, but Zach kept saying something about how much easier this would be if the guy was sober? I dont think Emmitt was at full speed yet. We will continue to work on it...

Reporter: Some of the media following this story have heard Emmitt talking smack to a few defensive players.. Do you think this is a part of his competitive nature, or is he just getting the team fired up?

DD: I'm not really sure yet. The good side is the respect he gets from his offensive teammates. The bad side is the defensive players are asking if he has life insurance before each workout? Emmitt is going to trash talk.. and I have talked to him about rememberring how big TJ Raymond really is. It is not smart to pick on some guys.

Reporter: When do you draw a line and pull back on the trash talk during workouts?

DD: When T.J. Covington looks over at me and says "I cant believe he freakin said that?"....We may need to back things off a bit. Emmitt understands that we are all on one team out there. He just gets caught up in the moment.

Reporter: How is the QB battle and lineup looking for the start of fall practices?

DD: We will go into the fall practices with Emmitt as the starter, and let the others battle it out. Should "Big Show" Byerly or Meager step up, then I'm sure Emmitt would want what is best for the team.

Cobbs left, Jamario right, post to Quinn. I think

Reporter: What did Emmitt say when you approached him to play this year?

DD: Emmitt actually came to us. He has been weighing the options each year, and every year he got closer to doing it. He did ask me if he could have a DVD player in his locker to watch "Dave Chappelle" episodes. I'm still not sure what that is all about, so I'm reluctant to go with it. We'll see when the season if off and running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: the preceeding post was brought to you by an exceedingly long off-season. If this had been an actual press conference..most of us would be panicking.

GMG!!!

• Downvote 1

Reporter: When do you draw a line and pull back on the trash talk during workouts?

DD: When T.J. Covington looks over at me and says "I cant believe he freakin said that?"....We may need to back things off a bit.

Quote of the Month

• 11 years later...