TCU is gonna give OU a close game

emmitt01

If anyone is going to give OU a close game it is likely going to be this year........they lost 15 starters and have an unproven qb.  Peterson is still a force who can take control of a game.

If anyone is going to give OU a close game it is likely to be Texas.

Perhaps, but a stouter limb than one would be on to say that TCU will do it.

or perhaps saying that TCU will be competitve in the first game of the year against a team with 15 new starters including a qb really isn't a stretch......a stretch would be saying that TCU is going to go into Norman and win by 21. The fact that it is the first game of the year has a lot to do with the confidence. Bowling Green put up a good fight with OU last year.

TCU was in a similar situation in 2001 when they travelled to Nebraska and lost 21-9. NU went on to play for the national championship that year.

Edited by Superfrog

or perhaps saying that TCU will be competitve in the first game of the year against a team with 15 new starters including a qb really isn't a stretch......a stretch would be saying that TCU is going to go into Norman and win by 21. The fact that it is the first game of the year has a lot to do with the confidence. Bowling Green put up a good fight with OU last year.

TCU was in a similar situation in 2001 when they travelled to Nebraska and lost 21-9. NU went on to play for the national championship that year.

I was at that game in Lincoln, NE in '01, TCU was lucky to score that TD. The QB was scrambling for his life when he somehow saw a wide open WR on the other side of the field.

Gotta love the convoluted logic ... BG gave OU a good game last year, therefore, TCU will give OU a good game this year.

blink.gif

I was at that game in Lincoln, NE in '01, TCU was lucky to score that TD. The QB was scrambling for his life when he somehow saw a wide open WR on the other side of the field.

Gotta love the convoluted logic ... BG gave OU a good game last year, therefore, TCU will give OU a good game this year.

blink.gif

convoluted logic or convoluted deduction by yourself?

The BG example is merely to point out past history and trends. You twisting the statement into a+b=c scenario is childish.

As far as the NU td being lucky........if the pass was not completed would that have been unlucky?

yeah and that UCLA team played within 5 points of that national championship that beat the sooners in a "competitive" national championship game. OU shouldnt/wont-be worried about TCU at home, they should be worried about UCLA away. Its not like TCU was exactly ended their season with a "bang" with a loss to the then 4-5 powerhouse Tulane (who would finish 5-6)...

BGSU is a good team, and could be the next Utah if they win their opener at Wisconsin. Omar Jacobs is the real deal IMO.

all this proving that things change year to year and no one can predict what will happen on Saturday.

Wyoming beating UCLA worse than USC........who woulda thought?

OU is mostly concerned with having a young team and an inexperienced qb which is why TCU fans are predicting a closer game than usual........which is the point of this thread.....TCU fans expect to get beat, but the unusual circumstances "may" lead to close game. If this were 2004, it would more than likely be a blowout.

yeah and that UCLA team played within 5 points of that national championship that beat the sooners in a "competitive" national championship game. OU shouldnt/wont-be worried about TCU at home, they should be worried about UCLA away. Its not like TCU was exactly ended their season with a "bang" with a loss to the then 4-5 powerhouse Tulane (who would finish 5-6)...

BGSU is a good team, and could be the next Utah if they win their opener at Wisconsin. Omar Jacobs is the real deal IMO.

That is funny, a year ago people were calling Utah the next TCU.... remember that TCU was the team that ALMOST busted the BCS bubble first. They just got killed in their last CUSA game (Louisville, I think) - then they gave that lame ass excuse about not going to the GMAC bowl so they could play in the inaugural Ft Worth Bowl... and then Boise came down and beat them at home, OUCH. They haven't rebounded since. But going into that Louisville game, TCU was ranked like #9 in the Nation and there were BCS busting talks about.

I meant your last CUSA game of 2003... and I thought it was either Louisville or Southern Miss... just guessed the wrong one. Anyways, my post was meant to be a comment on how quickly rolls can change. Two years ago people were calling TCU the next Tulane, but this time with a more open chance at getting in because of a weaker BCS field... Then last year they were calling Utah the next TCU (and asking if they could "finish" - unlike the Frogs did)... Now we hear people calling schools like Boise and BGSU, the next "Utah"... Heck, I think Utah will be the next Utah. They seem to have kept things together there for the most part; take away QB and Coach... but I think that the infrastructure for that team is still basically in place.

Heck, I think Utah will be the next Utah.  They seem to have kept things together there for the most part; take away QB and Coach... but I think that the infrastructure for that team is still basically in place.

I concur.......i hope Utah is able to maintain the momentum. I actually think BYU is going to resurface and become a very competitive.

maybe......but all i care about is the scoreboard

I think most of us Texans and Metroplexers would pull for the Frogs vs OU. I am not sure we compete with TCU that much for their recruits and the same with SMU for that matter; although the Frogs did pick up the big lineman from McKinney who was giving us serious consideration toward the end.

TCU caught a little flack from fellow CUSA'ers for dumping them for the MWC, but in the non-BCS sometimes I think you just have to do things that could be considered a gamble from time to time.

Would NT turn down a MWC invite? Case closed.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Hell no we wouldnt!

Yeah I will pull for the frogs against ANY team in Oklahoma. When its not NT, I defer to rooting for the state... unless its the aggy. still have a hard time with that one. tongue.gif

Is TCU supposed to have a better team this year? If so, why? And going into a tougher conference (C-USA barely had a higher sagarin rating than the belt), can they expect to finish better than 5-6?

Yes, TCU is supposed to have a better team. Pretty much the entire offense is back....which averaged 34 points a game. As long as Tye Gunn stays healthy, we will be competitive in every game. If he gets hurt (which he has done every year) we are done. our backup has little experience.

The defense should be better.....not hard considering we were last in the nation defending the pass. Single handily lost us two games last year. Need more a pass rush to take pressure of db's.

We know the MWC will provide a tougher schedule. Coming off a 5-6 season in CUSA is worrisome, but we are also not too far removed from going 7-1 in CUSA play either. We beat Southern Miss by 30 points last year, which shows there is talent on this team.

We are just glad we are in a position to consider 5-6 a disappointing season

Close may be relative------(OU stomps most people)

Yawl lost to Tulane and South Florida which were 7-11 when not playing TCU..... TxTech put 70 on your team last year. Included in your FIVE wins were Army, Northwestern and SMU with only one impressive win.. SoMiss (at home).

I hope you do defeat OU but I wouldn't bet anything on it.