Heartbreaking Loss

SUMG

Unbelievable. Our team played great tonight, but just couldn't hang on, losing on a three point shot at the buzzer....93-92.

We lead throughout the contest.....were up by 25 in the 1st half.....lead 43-36 at the half. Our guys extended the lead to double digits in the 2nd half.....but WKU came back and won by 1.

Mean Green now 11-11, 4-7 in conference.

That sounded horrible. Wish I were there but would have been a long drive back to Dallas.

Giving up such a huge lead says a lot about any team. It should never have been that close.

Hope they can get back up for tourney time.

GMG

The trouble is....since it looks like we'll finish 4th or worse in the Western Division....we won't get a bye in the first round of the SBC tournament.

That's a killer.

We'd have to win four games to win the tournament instead of three. That extra game can kill you when you've played one more than your opponent in the semi-finals or finals of the tournament. Your guys are just too tired to win at that point.

That 3-point hurt worse than any other point in any other game this season. The guys did well and opened up good leads, but couldn't keep them when it counted the most. That Winchester kid shot just like one tonight; he was hard to keep on. The worst thing for me to watch was our guys getting double or triple-covered in their faces right by the out-of-bounds line; I wish there was a penalty for that.

On the last play, we screwed up the following ways (if not more):

1. We didn't pressure the inbounds pass, even though we had a 6-10 leaper

with long arms on the floor (Simpson).

2. We didn't front the "hot" guy receiving the inbounds pass. Making them

lob it high to him would have made him work to get it and come down with no

momentum. But we let him get it with no effort.

3. We should have doubled him immediately with the guy who should have been

pressuring the pass, but wasn't there.

4. We let him dribble the length of the court with no pressure. We should

have at least fouled him.

5. Someone should have come off their man when he crossed the midcourt line

to pressure him. Didn't happen..

6. We should have fouled him before he had a chance to get the shot off, and

made them shoot 2 or run another play.

doing ANY of these

things would have won the game - I blame the coach for this loss. All we

actually did was make sure we didn't foul and let him shoot and HOPE he

didn't miss. And it bit us in the ass. That's playing "not to lose." I hate

that.

you got that right, pretty much all of it. They didn't even bother to play defense on the last play, just gave them a shot to win. You have to either gaurd the inbounds or front the players going towards the ball...blowing a 26 point lead in the FIRST half doesn't help much either.

Atleast we have a cupcake Monday night for Micah Effin Bracy poster night.

I just wanted to say you guys played a hell of a game. NO one likes to lose to a last second shot......trust me, we have been on the opposite end before many times.

Again, you guys played great. Early on, I thought we were going to be killed. What a fun game to listen to on the internet. I can only imagine how great it was to be there.

I sure hope we don't have to play you again come tourny time. I only wish I could have been there tonight. Take care down in Denton. Rest assured, that someone in Kentucky knows how hard a loss like that is.

Kudos to your team!

I'd never seen a North Texas game like this. The first half was so exciting----alllll those 3 pointers------and the end realllllly hurt. I can't imagine how the players felt. It was one of those ending where you really just can't move for a second or two.

Heartbreaking loss is a good way to describe it but I'd have to agree with the others saying we've got to learn how to keep a lead. I maybe cursed us because as soon as we held that nice lead in the beginning, I said we'd probably end up losing cause we can't keep our leads......

Ya know...I'm almost glad I'm stuck in ATL right now. After hearing about this game last night...I immediately went to sleep...and woke up kinda depressed. Lord knows how much alcohol I might have consumed last night after seeing that kind of meltdown.

And now I'm even more sad...as I just read that I'm going to miss Micah Effin' Bracy poster night. DAMMIT!

I wanna come home. 6 more days. Someone pass me a drink.

Edited by JayDub

It's lack of disclipline. Plain and simple. Our basketball team is starting to look like our football team. Neither Dickey, nor Johnny Jones have control over their teams. Their on the field/court performance shows it.

Back in the old neighborhood...we didn't put up with this "no discipline" bullcrap. None of it. If it don't change soon, we may have to take care of it the way me and Tony did in the old neighborhood...

Edited by Guido

4. We let him dribble the length of the court with no pressure. We should

have at least fouled him.

6. We should have fouled him before he had a chance to get the shot off, and

made them shoot 2 or run another play.

Are you kidding? With 3 seconds and the whole court to go, you have to let your defense try to stop them. The last thing you do is foul their best free throw shooter to let them tie the game.