Parcells sticking with Vinny

(I'm glad that the Tuna and his staff aren't good enough to have a 2nd year pro or a 1st year pro, ready to play a game.....15 games into the season. My question is: If Tony and Drew aren't ready to play now (in two meaningless games), then Big Bill.....why the F were they ever the 2nd string QBs? I mean if neither one is ready to play now....what if the Cowboys had been doing well this season, and Vinny had gotten hurt? What would you have done then, Parcells?. Here's the story):

IRVING, Texas -- Bill Parcells still thinks Vinny Testaverde gives the Dallas Cowboys the best chance to win, so he's keeping the 41-year-old as his starting quarterback.

Parcells put off the decision until Wednesday, drawing speculation he was finally going to turn to one of his youngsters, either highly touted rookie Drew Henson or Tony Romo, who was promoted to second string last week.

But with Dallas (5-9) still having a slim chance of making the playoffs, Parcells is sticking with Testaverde for Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins. While Testaverde will start, Parcells said Romo will get extra work in practice and may see some playing time.

"I'm of the mind-set that I might use Romo," Parcells said.

The Cowboys have been under .500 since the fifth game and every week Parcells has been asked why isn't he using Henson and Romo. He repeatedly said Testaverde was the better option for the upcoming game, adding that going with youth would be an indication to the rest of the team he was giving up on this season.

While Testaverde has thrown for plenty of yards, he's also thrown 19 interceptions, tied for the most in the NFL, and has the third-worst passer rating in the league. He has 12 interceptions and six touchdowns over the last seven games.

Testaverde has started 13 of 14 games and played the decisive second half of the other. The exception was Thanksgiving, four days after he was hurt against Baltimore. Although he hadn't practiced all week, Testaverde replaced Henson at halftime of a tie game and led Dallas to a victory.

Henson has thrown just 18 passes and Romo none this season, which would seem to make it harder for Parcells to evaluate whether either is capable of taking over next season. Wednesday's announcement is an indication that someone other than Henson or Romo will be the starter going into 2005 -- perhaps even Testaverde.

Parcells already has floated the idea of one or both young quarterbacks going to NFL Europe.

The Cowboys close the season with a road game against the New York Giants, then can prepare building for their future. They have two first-round draft picks and plenty of salary-cap room for free agents. Knowing their plans for quarterback would certainly help determine how they spend the rest of their assets.

Henson has been hailed as next in the Troy Aikman-Roger Staubach lineage because of his pedigree: a standout at Michigan who might've been the No. 1 overall pick after his junior or senior year had he not turned to baseball. After failing to stick with the New York Yankees, he returned to football late last year and the Cowboys won a bidding war to acquire him.

Romo made the Cowboys in training camp last season as an undrafted rookie from Division I-AA Eastern Illinois. He's spent his 30-game NFL career primarily carrying a clipboard -- he's been the No. 3 quarterback nearly every game, getting on the field only as a holder in a few games this season.

Parcells is off his rocker and visibly sounded like it when he got grilled on why Turnover Testaverde is starting once again in a meaningless game.

He said Romo might play but mainly wanted him to watch and see what goes on.

HELLO!!!!! What the hell have the back-ups been doing all fricking year!! They have been watching a fossil play like a rookie, yet refuses to take any blame and is untouchable b/c he is Parcells child.

The worst part was Sunday when Bill called out the defense after they only gave up 12 points to Philly, while his son throws his own teammates under the bus. mad.gif

I thought Vinny's breakdown of his 19 interceptions was hilarious. After hearing him break them down, none of them are his fault! I bet he takes all the credit for the touchdowns though. <_<

I agree with what has been posted and I think that Parcells has let his ego get in the way of better judgement.

Anyone ever see the Seinfeld episode....which started out with everyone (except George) really being fond of one of Jerry's friends named Drake? "I Love The Drake!"......Jerry and Elaine both claimed. Well, at the end of the episode due to various circumstances.....the tunes had changed to where they were both now saying, "I Hate The Drake!."

Well, for me.....you can take the above scenario and substitute "Tuna" for "Drake."

Is anyone really suprised that Vinny Interceptaverde will be starting. He will start next week, and we will go into next season with 2 unproven quarterbacks and one that is at the end of his career. We will have answered non of the qb questions. Maybe we can at least draft Timmy Chang.

Maybe we can at least draft Timmy Chang.

AS a Washington Redskins fan, I hope the Cowboys put all there eggs in the Tim Chang basket. He is system quarterback, like Andre Ware , Ty Detmer and All of the tech qbs.

Edited by GreenBat

Yeah, let's not draft Timmy Chang please. I think a much more viable option is a quarterback that will be a free agent or get cut. It happens every year. Parcells made big mistakes by letting Delhomme and Volek get away, but those kind of guys are all you need in the NFL today. I think they need to address defensive line, linebacker, and offensive line before drafting a QB. Develop Henson and Romo in case they are called to duty, let Vinny retire and bring in a vet to start.

Hey, I would love to develop our young qbs, but there is only one way to develop them, and he aint doing that. Side note, anyone else seen the WR from Hawaii? He looks shorter than alot of recievers, but soft hands that balls stick to like glue, and he is a solid wall of muscle. I was watching the Mich St game and this kid was running defenders over, or at least knocking them down on his way down.

Coach, did you get my pm I sent you?