football prospects at FB game

OldTimer

Why is there not a box for the recruits and recruiters? I think the stands are for the fans! It hacks me off when the recruiters complain about the fans around them.

At least get them off the field so the team doesnt block the view of the recruiters.

Edited by mean gruene

Guest ipEAGLE

Why is there not a box for the recruits and recruiters?  I think the stands are for the fans!  It hacks me off when the recruiters complain about the fans around them.

ummmm....

One of the recruits is a LB. I thought his dad said from Arlington. He was wearing an OSU (Ok. State) cap, so Emmitt and I suspected he may already have his mind made up. I also talked to a recruit and his dad downstairs (Keith?), and they are considerring North Texas very seriously. He plays TE/FB now, but thinks he will be a fullback in college. They were very nice and said good things about Darrell Dickey. The tortilla thing really threw them for a loop, but they were warned about it before the game. Keith said he got to meet Mean Joe Green at the tail-gate, and that was a huge deal for him. I have to wonder how a fullback is looking at his place in the offense, while Jamario Thomas is running down the field? Must make you want to block for a runner like that, I would think. Jamario may be a huge talent magnet for us!!!!

GMG!!!

"Why is there not a box for the recruits and recruiters? I think the stands are for the fans! It hacks me off when the recruiters complain about the fans around them."

Recruits are placed in the stands so that they get a sense of the wonderful atmosphere and support that UNT has for the football team. Its part of the sell. That's why A&M has always recruited so well; that atmosphere is mesmorizing.

Guest JohnDenver

"Why is there not a box for the recruits and recruiters? I think the stands are for the fans! It hacks me off when the recruiters complain about the fans around them."

Recruits are placed in the stands so that they get a sense of the wonderful atmosphere and support that UNT has for the football team.  Its part of the sell.  That's why A&M has always recruited so well; that atmosphere is mesmorizing.

Put them on the student side them. Not around old crotchety (word?) alumni!

The Eagle Angels can't handle the loud fans. They are ultra sensitive to criticism of the coaching decisions and conversations about players .. they try ALL means to get us to be quiet. Stares, jeers, tell us to shut-up, etc haven't worked.

Seriously ... PUT THEM ON THE STUDENT SIDE. Let them see it from a student perpective. I am 100% certain them will not relate with my friends in Section E.

DMN put the football area, state, and national top 100 recruits. NONE were listed going or even considering UNT.

I looked pretty carefully. I might have missed one but I don't thing so.

We have had this discussion before. People on this board claim that DD tells potential recruits not to tell anyone that they are considering NT. They claim that DD doesn't want other schools to know who we are going after. I think it's rather absurd, but that wouldn't be the first thing I couldn't understand here.

Put them on the student side them. Not around old crotchety (word?) alumni!

The Eagle Angels can't handle the loud fans. They are ultra sensitive to criticism of the coaching decisions and conversations about players .. they try ALL means to get us to be quiet. Stares, jeers, tell us to shut-up, etc haven't worked.

Seriously ... PUT THEM ON THE STUDENT SIDE. Let them see it from a student perpective. I am 100% certain them will not relate with my friends in Section E.

I am an Eagle Angel and I have never felt so disrespected as I did as this past weekend's game. There were alumni sitting in our designated section, and that is against NCAA rules. That however was not the biggest problem, the problem however arose when an Eagle Angel officer asked our recruit and their parents if they wanted to relocate to another part in our section. The people that were sitting next to the recruit took offense to this request. They began throwing tortillas directly at us, deliberately shaking their pom poms at our heads and then began antagonizing us with rude comments.

At first we did not take offense to this, these people had obviously been drinking and we decided to ignore them and let it pass, but they would not stop. After about a full quarter of this, it was too much to bear and they were getting on our nerves and on the parent's nerves.

We got a security guard to ask them to stop, and when security arrived these people began yelling at us and calling us obscene names. One person that was sitting next to our recruit began to yell and cuss him out directly to his face. This was uncalled for and embarassing.

Several of these people confronted me and I spoke in a very calm manner explaining that is against NCAA regulations for us to allow alumni sit with recruits. It is a grey area and the Eagle Angels, the football program and the athletic program could get in trouble for it. This was not a good enough reason for them and continued to yell at us from there designated seats (which were only a few rows up from our section) for the remainder of the game.

Then they tried to say that we didn't want them to support the team or yell, and that is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. As an organization we are a spirited group and we promote our fans and even our recruits to get into the game. We never "try to get fans to be quiet" or "stare, jeer, or tell anybody to shut-up" Anyone that has watched our girls knows that we yell for our team and we respect the fans and alumni of this University.

During my time in Eagle Angels this was our first incident of such a degree. It was embarassing for myself, our organization and our recruits. Who in their right mind would yell and cuss out a recruit? That sure doesn't scream "We want you to come play football at our school" now does it?

I do not want this to become a problem nor I am trying to entice the situation, but I wanted bring it to the attention of the people on this board.

If recruits sitting with alumni is a potential recruiting violation; then why don't they sit on the student side? I mean, its not rocket science. If sittig on the alumni side could potentially jeopardize the enitre program; then why would you do it? I can't just understand why the Eagle Angels would walk that incredibly thin tight rope.

Wow! I sit about 8 or so rows up from the last row of recruits and I didn't realize this was going on down there. How embarassing for something like this to happen to kids who we are trying to get to come to NT next Fall.

On another note, we actually had a couple of very obnoxious NT fans <_< who did nothing but cut down and belittle what was going on out on the field, and the whole atmosphere in general. My wife was the first to notice it. The two men did leave after halftime. Makes you wonder if they may have been the "fans" who yelled at the recruits. Could have been plants from another university to disrupt our recruiting. Maybe SMU, TCU???? Sumbitches! <_<

I had this one huge (*@#$ sitting in front of me, that was apparently a student, constantly saying things like our alma mater being a ripoff of UT, our stadium sucking, her HS team was better than ours, etc etc. I finally told her to shut the (*@$ up, so her and her boyfriend moved away. This was on the student side.

Edited by Gakusei

Guest ipEAGLE

I had this one huge (*@#$ sitting in front of me, that was apparently a student, constantly saying things like our alma mater being a ripoff of UT, our stadium sucking, her HS team was better than ours, etc etc.  I finally told her to shut the (*@$ up, so her and her boyfriend moved away.  This was on the student side.

Thats great! Good job Gak biggrin.gif

The Eagle Angels don't chose where to sit. The athletic department and coaches put them there. I witnessed everything and I was able to see first hand what actually went on. I know each person has their own side of the story, and I'm not going to point blame in one particular direction.

The Eagle Angels sit on the alumni side-as silly as it is, since it is against the NCAA for them to have talk to alumni-so they can see first hand what is going on with the University of North Texas football team (also known as the MEAN GREEN.) They want these recruits and their families to see what it would be like to be on the team and get as close as possible-hopefully close enough so they would want to be here more than anywhere else. At least that is how I would hope the recruits would feel. Most would feel that the recruits should be on the student section to see what its like to be a UNT student, but I'm assuming that if they're on the recruiting trip-odds are that they'll be on the sideline and not sitting and cheering in the student section.

As far as the whole situation at the last home game, I personally feel that it was just blown way out of proportion. I think cheering at a game is the best thing to do. Thats what (hopefully) everybody is there for. I know some of the Angels and they have a ridiculous amount of school spirit, especially for the Mean Green football team. But I know what its like to be a fan also. The Eagle Angels support the alumni and help out at various events-and get nothing in return, except for the respect of the coaches, UNT athletic staff, and hopefully the alumni. They are a complete service organization and get little to no recognition for all that is done. I have never heard of any instance before between the alumni and the Eagle Angels, but I hope that this is something that will blow over. Our program needs its fans and their support, so hopefully this is something that can just end and we can take all the energy used to be mad, sad, or glad about this situation and use it to be positive fans.

After all, aren't we all here for the same reason?! If not, I guess I've been deceived for the past 3 1/2 years....

Moral of the Story:

1. Let it Go

2. Move On

3. GO MEAN GREEN-make it 22 in a row!!!!