2024 March Madness Thread

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

The Mastodons win the CIT. Tournament had 9 teams with 4 from Texas and most games including the Championship were played in Stephenville.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401649396

It looks like the mighty Mastodons still have to get through Norfolk State:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament

But needless to say, I don't think anyone was asking for the CIT to return this year. After only finding 9 teams to play in the originally-planned 16-team tournament, I think NCAA, NIT, and CBI is all we need next year, assuming the CBI can fill their 16-team field.

I like keeping the NIT on campuses the first three rounds, though I wish the Final 4 would return the MSG. The CBI can keep the "mystique" of playing four days straight in a neutral destination city.

Indianapolis and Hinkle is a much better location for the NIT than Las Vegas' Orleans Arena IMHO though.  It's a historic venue and that is total basketball country.  Only the fact that Indy is so often in the rotation to have the Final Four would prevent it from moving there on a more permanent basis.

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Indianapolis and Hinkle is a much better location for the NIT than Las Vegas' Orleans Arena IMHO though.  It's a historic venue and that is total basketball country.  Only the fact that Indy is so often in the rotation to have the Final Four would prevent it from moving there on a more permanent basis.

I will be interested to see how the attendance is if the championship is something like Seton Hall vs. VCU, and not Ohio State vs. Indiana State/Cincinnati.

Plenty of the NIT semis and finals I watched on TV weren't exactly highly attended.  Traveling to NYC (unless you're in the north east corridor) on short notice in the middle of the week isn't easy or cheap.  When you had a school like St. Johns, or Penn State - the Garden would be rocking.  Not so much when it was Stanford vs Miami.

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I will be interested to see how the attendance is if the championship is something like Seton Hall vs. VCU, and not Ohio State vs. Indiana State/Cincinnati.

Ohio State and Cincy lose in the NIT.   

8 hours ago, CMJ said:

Some great games in the Sweet 16.  Connecticut looks basically unbeatable though.

I think Purdue would like a word.  

And don’t forget Houston…oh wait, never mind.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I think Purdue would like a word.  

And don’t forget Houston…oh wait, never mind.  

Purdue can have a word.  Then they'd get steamrolled.

I don't see anything short of a miracle stopping the Huskies this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Purdue can have a word.  Then they'd get steamrolled.

I don't see anything short of a miracle stopping the Huskies this year.

Houston thought same.   Things happen, that's why they should just play the games instead of award some fake rankings to determine the best (CFP).  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

Houston thought same.   Things happen, that's why they should just play the games instead of award some fake rankings to determine the best (CFP).  

But "I" never thought the same about Houston. 😉

you're right, though, that anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

I never thought Houston was anywhere as good as Connecticut.  UConn might be beaten, but it'd be the biggest upset in at least 20 years if they don't win it all.

Edited by CMJ

Since its first title in 1999, Connecticut has won five title (looking like six, but we'll see)  Amazingly they've also missed the tournament nine times since then.  So they've won five titles in the 15 tourneys its played in, with three different coaches.

3 First-Round losses

4 Second-Round losses

2 Elite Eight losses

7 Final Fours (5 wins...and counting)

Basically if they get to the Sweet 16, they have a better than even chance of cutting down the nets.  It's remarkable.  People may hate Kentucky, Duke, or UNC, or Kansas or pick your blue blood, etc. for their consistent greatness -- but most everyone has slept of the Huskies as they continue to own the the sport for the last generation plus.  Best stretch of dominance since UCLA.

It should be noted that I really have never liked UCONN much.  Calhoun always rubbed me the wrong way and the feeling has never left how I view the program.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Indiana State looks like they have about 95% of the fans and Hinkle is rocking.  It's gonna be tough for Utah or whoever they may face in the NIT Final on Thursday to beat them there.

Edited by CMJ

St. Joes had SHU dead to rights.  I wonder if they'd have gotten rid of the Prates, if perhaps we may have had a run to Indy.  St. Joes and UNLV would have been tough, but beatable.  Oh, the what ifs.

nostradamus-occult.jpg

• Upvote 1