AAC agrees foul should have been called

15 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Apparently, Drew Pearson pushed off the Vikings defender on the Hail Mary play. No call.

Shut Your Mouth Reaction GIF

Drew Pearson never, ever committed any penalties in any games.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Allen just had his arms extended to the ECU player’s back to let him know he was there, similar to guard play.  
The ECU guy would have turned around had he been shoved off his position; he never moved. 

No foul, only sour grapes!

I played this card too until I saw all the videos available on ESPN.com.   Check out this one.

1) There is a clear push-off.  Not a "push the defender."  It's Allen pushing off.
2) It is just as clear that the defender wasn't affected.

...honestly, if he had flopped, they probably would have gotten the call.  But he didn't.  He didn't even look like he was trying to defend until it was too late.  His arms were down and the ball was over his head and caught before he even turned around.

So, again, it's a foul, but not a terrible no-call.  Refs were clearly letting them play, as evidenced by the "non-travel" on the previous ECU go-ahead, as well as the no-call on Edwards earlier.

People, you watch enough of this that you can get tired head wanting a perfect game called.  It's a myth.  No such thing as a perfect game.  Refs will sometimes let players play, and sometimes you get the raw end of the deal, sometimes the right end of the deal.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I played this card too until I saw all the videos available on ESPN.com.   Check out this one.

1) There is a clear push-off.  Not a "push the defender."  It's Allen pushing off.

...honestly, if he had flopped, they probably would have gotten the call.  But he didn't.  He didn't even look like he was trying to defend until it was too late.  His arms were down and the ball was over his head and caught before he even turned around.

So, again, it's a foul, but not a terrible no-call.  Refs were clearly letting them play, as evidenced by the "non-travel" on the previous ECU go-ahead, as well as the no-call on Edwards earlier.

People, you watch enough of this that you can get tired head wanting a perfect game called.  It's a myth.  No such thing as a perfect game.  Refs will sometimes let players play, and sometimes you get the raw end of the deal, sometimes the right end of the deal.

No, the player never moved from a push because there was no push.  It was Allen's momentum when he turned around his hand appears to come off the player's back like a push but there was no movement by the player.  No complaint by him to the ref either...only from the coach thinking he saw a push from his sideline view. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

So, I thought it was and kind of still do. However, I usually go by the person the foul was against to see if they complain and how hard they complain if I'm in doubt. And in this day and age of constant complaining against refs, their player never said a word to the ref about being fouled. That made me think maybe there shouldn't be a call made at that point of the game.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

Being close to somebody and then jumping away from them does not mean you pushed off. The link you provided shows nothing I haven't already seen. Allen is maintaining positioning and using his body to prevent the defender from getting near the basket. He then leaps away to catch the ball near the basket. He jumped away but kept his arms there to keep the defender from closing in until he was ready to catch the ball. None of that means he pushed the defender away. Again, in the moment, the defender didn't budge. That right there is the honest truth displayed by the defender. He didn't have the time to sell a foul because there was nothing to sell. There was no push. Again, his reaction in the moment proves it.

What there was, however, is a travel on ECU before their previous bank-shot. Even the ECU play-by-play guys say it. "He almost traveled" by one and "oh oh" by the other. That's the honest reaction. They got away with a travel. Our guys just wouldn't let them have it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Being close to somebody and then jumping away from them does not mean you pushed off. The link you provided shows nothing I haven't already seen. Allen is maintaining positioning and using his body to prevent the defender from getting near the basket. He then leaps away to catch the ball near the basket. He jumped away but kept his arms there to keep the defender from closing in until he was ready to catch the ball. None of that means he pushed the defender away. Again, in the moment, the defender didn't budge. That right there is the honest truth displayed by the defender. He didn't have the time to sell a foul because there was nothing to sell. There was no push. Again, his reaction in the moment proves it.

It's really close.  Defender could have flopped and probably gotten the call.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

It's really close.  Defender could have flopped and probably gotten the call.

If this was in mid-game probably.  But I think refs are hesitant to make a game-changing call at the very end of a game.  It will only bring them a spotlight of criticism from one side or the other.