Cheap tickets

UNT Family Man

Good! I'm not saying they should be this cheap all the time, but UNT's general admission tickets have gone up for some reason over the past few years. I believe men's basketball is at $18 cheapest, volleyball and soccer at $13. And I was surprised to see the cheapest ticket for a football game has now gone up to $23 at the box office. Maybe don't change volleyball because of the small capacity, but the cheapest walk-up ticket to the other sports should be at $10 AT MOST.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Good! I'm not saying they should be this cheap all the time, but UNT's general admission tickets have gone up for some reason over the past few years. I believe men's basketball is at $18 cheapest, volleyball and soccer at $13. And I was surprised to see the cheapest ticket for a football game has now gone up to $23 at the box office. Maybe don't change volleyball because of the small capacity, but the cheapest walk-up ticket to the other sports should be at $10 AT MOST.

As long as they sit in the seat they purchased….

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Wish I'd seen this sooner. I saw the post at 11:50 today. Not enough time to figure out scheduling. The first post from the MBB team on Facebook was at 10:00 am. Doesn't seem very serious to have the first post about a sale 2 hours before the sale ends.

During the FAU-Texas A&M game, I was checking out the A&M site and made my way to their ticket site. For a home game against DePaul, you could get any upper bowl tickets for $5 each. Lower bowl started at $13. No sale, just regular pricing for an SEC/Big East game going for cheaper than ours do. I just checked for the A&M vs Memphis game next sunday and theres lower bowl tickets at $10 and upper still at $5. Makes me wonder how much our AD wants to sell out games.

Edit to add, A&M has a game against Houston Christian coming up. Tickets are free on a first come first serve basis (except for season ticket holders). Angelo State would have been perfect for this but nope, we'd rather watch seats stay empty.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Wish I'd seen this sooner. I saw the post at 11:50 today. Not enough time to figure out scheduling. The first post from the MBB team on Facebook was at 10:00 am. Doesn't seem very serious to have the first post about a sale 2 hours before the sale ends.

During the FAU-Texas A&M game, I was checking out the A&M site and made my way to their ticket site. For a home game against DePaul, you could get any upper bowl tickets for $5 each. Lower bowl started at $13. No sale, just regular pricing for an SEC/Big East game going for cheaper than ours do. I just checked for the A&M vs Memphis game next sunday and theres lower bowl tickets at $10 and upper still at $5. Makes me wonder how much our AD wants to sell out games.

Edit to add, A&M has a game against Houston Christian coming up. Tickets are free on a first come first serve basis (except for season ticket holders). Angelo State would have been perfect for this but nope, we'd rather watch seats stay empty.

To be fair it’s a slight to People who have had season tickets for 25-30 years….. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What is? 

Cheaper tickets and then allowing them to sit wherever…. Some people have stopped going to basketball games because there is a mindset it’s open seating and many sit in season ticket holder seats or anywhere they want in the lower bowl instead of at the ends or the student section. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Cheaper tickets and then allowing them to sit wherever…. Some people have stopped going to basketball games because there is a mindset it’s open seating and many sit in season ticket holder seats or anywhere they want in the lower bowl instead of at the ends or the student section. 

Where did I say people can sit in the seats of season ticket holders?

Edit to add I specifically wrote "except for season ticket holders" regarding the first come, first serve tickets.

Here's what their site says for their fan appreciation game:

FAN APPRECIATION!

Texas A&M Athletics and the 12th Man Foundation would like to welcome all Aggies free of charge to support Texas A&M Basketball!

Season ticket holders will receive complimentary tickets to utilize their seats for the game, fans without season tickets are invited to sit in the remaining seats on a first come basis.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Edit to add I specifically wrote "except for season ticket holders" regarding the first come, first serve tickets.

FAN APPRECIATION!

Texas A&M Athletics and the 12th Man Foundation would like to welcome all Aggies free of charge to support Texas A&M Basketball!

Season ticket holders will receive complimentary tickets to utilize their seats for the game, fans without season tickets are invited to sit in the remaining seats on a first come basis.

The middle 3-4 sections on each side are designated for season ticket holders. For years and years they policed it. Around covid they stopped. They still check tickets at football games before allowing you to walk down to your seat, yet at basketball they stopped. Lost many a fan due to this. I can’t tell you the amount of people who sit in the lower middle area who aren’t season ticket holders! It’s ridiculous. It used to be policed and now it’s not. If it was you would have had more fans showing up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

FAN APPRECIATION!

2BA2B12E-5D53-4DB6-B5E0-8A94B4CEA494.jpeg.357435851ec055f7f5b5fb2091bab3be.jpegFor. Reference all that red is meant for season ticket holders unless they purchase outside of it (which some do). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The middle 3-4 sections on each side are designated for season ticket holders. For years and years they policed it. Around covid they stopped. They still check tickets at football games before allowing you to walk down to your seat, yet at basketball they stopped. Lost many a fan due to this. I can’t tell you the amount of people who sit in the lower middle area who aren’t season ticket holders! It’s ridiculous. It used to be policed and now it’s not. If it was you would have had more fans showing up. 

This has nothing to do with what texas a&m does with their fan appreciation game but I'll play along. Is it really that big of a deal that for one game against a small school that people get free tickets for seats that aren't even paid for? This mentality is why North Texas athletics will never grow. A ranked SEC program can do it and their season ticket holders are ok with it by UNT season ticket holders are apparently too mighty. You'd rather keep the club small than watch it grow for a game every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This has nothing to do with what texas a&m does with their fan appreciation game but I'll play along. Is it really that big of a deal that for one game against a small school that people get free tickets for seats that aren't even paid for? This mentality is why North Texas athletics will never grow. A ranked SEC program can do it and their season ticket holders are ok with it by UNT season ticket holders are apparently too mighty. You'd rather keep the club small than watch it grow for a game every year.

Yes it is. People have stopped getting season tickets and going to games because they aren’t policing the seats. Students and others who don’t own season tickets always sit in sections like 105,106,107,108 etc….

Im unsure how losing season ticket holders and people who have given to athletics for decades to be replaced by students who refuse to sit in the designated student section is a win or good for the program but ok….

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes it is. People have stopped getting season tickets and going to games because they aren’t policing the seats. Students and others who don’t own season tickets always sit in sections like 105,106,107,108 etc….

Im unsure how losing season ticket holders and people who have given to athletics for decades to be replaced by students who refuse to sit in the designated student section is a win or good for the program but ok….

Dude, the Texas a&m fan appreciation game has nothing to do with season ticket holders. They get their seats guaranteed for the game. Every seat is free to everybody, including season ticket holders but season ticket holders get their seat for the game. Can you read?

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Dude, the Texas a&m fan appreciation game has nothing to do with season ticket holders. They get their seats guaranteed for the game. Every seat is free to everybody, including season ticket holders but season ticket holders get their seat for the game. Can you read?

Yes but I am referring to seating in general at the super pit. Do a free game sure but make it upper bowl or student section. And make sure students sit in their section. That’s the biggest issue that should be addressed. I just want to make sure no matter what UNT does they police the searing and tickets like they use too. It drives fans away. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Yes but I am referring to seating in general at the super pit. Do a free game sure but make it upper bowl or student section. And make sure students sit in their section. That’s the biggest issue that should be addressed. I just want to make sure no matter what UNT does they police the searing and tickets like they use too. It drives fans away. 

Have you talked to people who specifically cite that as a reason for not renewing? I could see not renewing because of not being able to go to all of the home games and because there's often a lot of cheap ticket deals. But I don't see the big deal about people sitting in their seats if it gets them closer and more engaged with the game. The sleeves should prevent those people from sitting in season seats, but it's not a huge commotion to ask someone to get out of your seats.

I still tend to buy GA tickets for football, whether it's through a flash sale or at the box office, and roam to an empty area on the sideline. Not for malicious reasons, but because I try to get to as many games as possible (30+ this year across all six specator sports) but I don't have the budget for premium seat pricing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Ok so this goes back to the elitist attitude some UNT season ticket holders have. I used to go to many Mavs games before I had a family and this was standard, especially in the second half. Fans from the top sections would make their way down. Makes for a better game environment and the seat is vacant anyways so who cares who sits there? If you're upset that the person next to you paid less than your ticket than you're worried about the wrong things and I can't truly take you seriously about wanting attendance and the program to grow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've never been to a venue that religiously polices seating when it's not close to being full.  Even at pro stadiums they try initially, but soon give up unless we're talking the absolute best rows.  I've sat super close at Dodger games when I bought seats nowhere near the field.

Hell concert venues are the same.  The Hollywood Bowl seats about 19K seats.  Most concerts don't sell out and I tend to move up a section or two.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I've never been to a venue that religiously polices seating when it's not close to being full.  Even at pro stadiums they try initially, but soon give up unless we're talking the absolute best rows.  I've sat super close at Dodger games when I bought seats nowhere near the field.

Hell concert venues are the same.  The Hollywood Bowl seats about 19K seats.  Most concerts don't sell out and I tend to move up a section or two.

For decades they did in the PIT. We had season tickets and I would sit in the student section and go visit my dad and could not get down because I didn’t have a ticket…. They did it all the way up to covid. 

I mean they even monitored legs in isles and purses in isles (which was a tad annoying) but would be happily welcomed back to keep students in their section and others in seats they purchased.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Ok so this goes back to the elitist attitude some UNT season ticket holders have. I used to go to many Mavs games before I had a family and this was standard, especially in the second half. Fans from the top sections would make their way down. Makes for a better game environment and the seat is vacant anyways so who cares who sits there? If you're upset that the person next to you paid less than your ticket than you're worried about the wrong things and I can't truly take you seriously about wanting attendance and the program to grow.

Well I’m sorry but most people don’t respect petty theft…. Again. If all that’s left is some students who sit in seats once held by long time season ticket holders then good luck having donors or anyone there once the students leave….

• Ray 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

For decades they did in the PIT. We had season tickets and I would sit in the student section and go visit my dad and could get down because I didn’t have a ticket…. They did it all the way up to covid. 

Well, I don't know.  When I was a kid and a student I was able to sit basically wherever I wanted to in the Super Pit.

Just now, CMJ said:

Well, I don't know.  When I was a kid and a student I was able to sit basically wherever I wanted to in the Super Pit.

Well I know since the mid 90s it pretty much hasn’t been allowed. They have had the staff in the yellow jackets (decades ago use to be light blue) who would check your ticket before you could go down to your seat. They would then walk up and down the stairs during the game still checking tickets. 

• Ray 1

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

What solutions are available that would please both the students and the season ticket holders? Catering to the needs of both groups is incredibly important. Does the student section need to be extended? We don't sell a huge quantity of season tickets. Could those be consolidated somewhat to provide an additional section or two to the students? The student section was small a couple decades ago because very few attended. Thankfully that has changed. Your concerns seem valid and maybe it's time that the AD should review the seating allocation. Please send Jared a note with your concerns and maybe potential solutions.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well I’m sorry but most people don’t respect petty theft…. Again. If all that’s left is some students who sit in seats once held by long time season ticket holders then good luck having donors or anyone there once the students leave….

It's not theft if the venue is ok with it, as most venues are,  but ok. Again, if this is your focus, I can't take you seriously about wanting attendence to grow. If you tell me you're a die hard fan who had season tickets but stopped going because a couple kids were in your seats I can't take you seriously. There were kids in my seats to start the UTSA football game. I asked them to move, they did, and that was the end of it. Not the end of the world and I still enjoyed the game which is what I went for.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

It's not theft if the venue is ok with it, as most venues are,  but ok. Again, if this is your focus, I can't take you seriously about wanting attendence to grow. If you tell me you're a die hard fan who had season tickets but stopped going because a couple kids were in your seats I can't take you seriously. There were kids in my seats to start the UTSA football game. I asked them to move, they did, and that was the end of it. Not the end of the world and I still enjoyed the game which is what I went for.

Attendance was fine for years when they had people checking tickets. Shoot students had to line the top of the stadium for the OSU game. 
-they shouldn’t be there in football. The home/lower section which is season tickets is policed all game. Even in the 4th you can’t get down there.