Calling This Before I Can Say "I Told You So"

rojomojo

4 hours ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

Just out of interest @Cooley what are your thoughts on our current signees?

image.png.40c9d68fb0144981aa1a86c302ec8e07.png

Interesting you asked. I just watched Taylor's game from two weeks ago last night. I think if he was about 2-3 inches taller, he would be a P5 kid. Love his game. Not sure he will excel against bigger and faster G5 guys. I also watched 2 playoff games last year where he looked very good at times but struggled against the eventual quicker & more athletic State Champ. I may watch his game playoff game from yesterday later tonight (against Magnolia) in which he scored 30. (NFHS Network)

Mason lead the DFW area in scoring with an average of about 26 ppg. Very good size and reminds me a lot of Alex Cotton. Don't see him having an immediate impact but the talent is certainly there. He was on a very bad Plano team that didn't even make the 4 team playoffs. Outside shooting is inconsistent but he can shoot and get to the bucket.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

I would even put Huntsberry in there. Tristan Thompson was another one 

Kai is not in the same convos as Perry/Hamlet/Smart.

I remember Tristan being incredible, but I guess old age and hazy memory leaves me questioning if he was a closer or not.  Simply don't remember.

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Perhaps but he basically won the NIT for us over UAB by keeping Jelly in check.

We're talking about closers.

You wanna talk about Kai shutting down Jelly? start a new thread about defense.  You seem happy to start new threads.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I remember Tristan being incredible, but I guess old age and hazy memory leaves me questioning if he was a closer or not.  Simply don't remember.

Generally White closed games because he was such a good free throw shooter we wanted him to have the ball in case he got fouled.  Thompson also closed games though, just not as often.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Tristan Thompson went into the HOF in 2020. I suspect that all the names being listed will eventually go into the UNT Hall of Fame. Damn shame but this is what it has become over the past few years. Coaches with losing records, players that played here 1 or 2 years, average players etc.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

Generally White closed games because he was such a good free throw shooter we wanted him to have the ball in case he got fouled.  Thompson also closed games though, just not as often.  

Yeah, man, Thompson was GREAT, but the end of the game was the Josh white show.  I loved that kid.  Thompson too.  

Before this year, when was the last time our best players came from the hs ranks? 

jordan Williams and Chris jones? Then of course the previously mentioned. 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:22 AM, Cooley said:

Tristan Thompson went into the HOF in 2020. I suspect that all the names being listed will eventually go into the UNT Hall of Fame. Damn shame but this is what it has become over the past few years. Coaches with losing records, players that played here 1 or 2 years, average players etc.  

Perry/Hamlet may have only played here 1 or 2 years but they also elevated the program to heights not seen ever

• Upvote 3