Zero Excuses. FIX. IT.

NorthTexasWeLove

Just now, UNTethered Eagle said:

Agreed. Thoughts on why did so many had us beating Cal? Or having a better performance? Because what you have outlined makes it seem as yesterday was cooked before the oven preheated.

I don't have any thoughts other than being drunk off Mean Green flavored Kool Aid spiked with loyalty vodka.  Also just the unknown and 6.5 spread gave ammunition to those who had unwarranted optimism.    Even I had some optimism when I saw the spread.  Before seeing it I expected us to lose by no more than maybe 20.  X & O's given good talent Seth is a good coach. Good not great and he was surprisingly bad at recruiting and developing quarterbacks.   Also I didn't realize how pass centric  Morris was as a coach.  That brings me to a side note.

For some reason, even going back to when Coach Cobbs played for us, we almost always had better running back talent than our conference rivals.  With that in mind and after the Dodge failure, I never hire coach whose tendency isn’t to rely on the slightly or significantly more than his peers.  So a spread “Air Raid” system with a QB that is a legit run threat and is built to take that pounding is essential here.  The only way I hire such a pass centric coach is they already had a track record of recruiting beyond the nameplate of the school they are at. Because that is the only way to rebuild the roster before the stink of mediocre performance in line with what UNT always has been here starts close the doors of more recruits to you.  

I don’t think Morris is a bad coach.  However I question the value of hiring a coach like him instead of just making Patrick Cobb head coach.  They treated 2022 like punt year. Because anyone expecting any better than what we got was just delusional.  Seth actually maxed out 2022 which is a testament to his pure X & O coordination acumen.  But now with Morris it appears we have Seth 2.0.  Best case scenario he will get the best out of the mediocre QB talent in he can recruit here.  That and with our reputation impacting all the other positions except running back we a middle of the pack in AAC consistently IF we are lucky. 

In summary I don’t know what we are doing big picture but it doesn’t look like we really want to win. I am just hoping Morris beats the odds in spite of cultural challenges here. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don't have any thoughts other than being drunk off Mean Green flavored Kool Aid spiked with loyalty vodka.  Also just the unknown and 6.5 spread gave ammunition to those who had unwarranted optimism.    Even I had some optimism when I saw the spread.  Before seeing it I expected us to lose by no more than maybe 20.  X & O's given good talent Seth is a good coach. Good not great and he was surprisingly bad at recruiting and developing quarterbacks.   Also I didn't realize how pass centric  Morris was as a coach.  That brings me to a side note.

For some reason, even going back to when Coach Cobbs played for us, we almost always had better running back talent than our conference rivals.  With that in mind and after the Dodge failure, I never hire coach whose tendency isn’t to rely on the slightly or significantly more than his peers.  So a spread “Air Raid” system with a QB that is a legit run threat and is built to take that pounding is essential here.  The only way I hire such a pass centric coach is they already had a track record of recruiting beyond the nameplate of the school they are at. Because that is the only way to rebuild the roster before the stink of mediocre performance in line with what UNT always has been here starts close the doors of more recruits to you.  

I don’t think Morris is a bad coach.  However I question the value of hiring a coach like him instead of just making Patrick Cobb head coach.  They treated 2022 like punt year. Because anyone expecting any better than what we got was just delusional.  Seth actually maxed out 2022 which is a testament to his pure X & O coordination acumen.  But now with Morris it appears we have Seth 2.0.  Best case scenario he will get the best out of the mediocre QB talent in he can recruit here.  That and with our reputation impacting all the other positions except running back we a middle of the pack in AAC consistently IF we are lucky. 

In summary I don’t know what we are doing big picture but it doesn’t look like we really want to win. I am just hoping Morris beats the odds in spite of cultural challenges here. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You predicted the abject failure on all fronts? I assume that is what people are reacting to - not the actual L. We are used to losing to non-conference teams, even worse ones. 

Wait, so you thought we'd come in with new everything and beat a revamped Cal? I cannot speak to the rest of your comment.

See Mike's post above for why I had tampered expectations yesterday.

Edited by UNTethered Eagle

2 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

Wait, so you thought we'd come in with new everything and beat a revamped Cal? I cannot speak to the rest of your comment.

See Mike's post above for why I had tampered expectations yesterday.

No no - if you look at the poll, I think less than 3 wins in total. Cal was not one of them. 

But I didn't expect to not get a single victory in the same. "RBs look good!" "Defense got some pressure!" 

It was zero's across the board. I don't think people expected that TOTAL failure on day one. 

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

No no - if you look at the poll, I think less than 3 wins in total. Cal was not one of them. 

But I didn't expect to not get a single victory in the same. "RBs look good!" "Defense got some pressure!" 

It was zero's across the board. I don't think people expected that TOTAL failure on day one. 

I thought that was you who picked 3 wins, lol. Look I hear you, and I agree with you. I was freaking there for the entire game. 

My entire stance this time has been if people are fired up enough to go scorched earth, do something about it. Because only ranting and then expecting different is a recipe for upset. However I understand others feel differently.

4 minutes ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

I thought that was you who picked 3 wins, lol. Look I hear you, and I agree with you. I was freaking there for the entire game. 

My entire stance this time has been if people are fired up enough to go scorched earth, do something about it. Because only ranting and then expecting different is a recipe for upset. However I understand others feel differently.

Give me your top 10 things to do about it...