How do we elevate our brand?

Jonnyeagle

59 minutes ago, rhaprez03-04 said:

Bosie State, years ago, laid a pretty good blueprint to make the School's branding relative and I'm not talking about the Blue Turf (though it did help). You play and Beat Mid-bloods, Win your Conference, and Play-in AND Win a Major Bowl against a Blue Blood. So no matter how you do years later, You stay somewhat relative. IMHO

Boise had the best run any G5 will ever have- won one of the most iconic games in recent CFB history, kept an HOF coach around for ten plus years and had a incredible run of winning football yet....

They're still in the MWC and not the rumored selection for PAC expansion and their upcoming schedule (besides Oregon at home) is pretty much equal to ours. I'd be pissed if I was a Boise fan but just shows winning doesn't change everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, meanrob said:

Boise had the best run any G5 will ever have- won one of the most iconic games in recent CFB history, kept an HOF coach around for ten plus years and had a incredible run of winning football yet....

They're still in the MWC and not the rumored selection for PAC expansion and their upcoming schedule (besides Oregon at home) is pretty much equal to ours. I'd be pissed if I was a Boise fan but just shows winning doesn't change everything.

Boise’s small media market hurts their value as a potential conference addition option.  

• Upvote 1

Boise's academics were ALWAYS a problem for the PAC.   They were an undergraduate only institution for the most of their really successful years.  That's was just a non starter for the PAC presidents. 

Their first masters degree was in logistics, which is why conference mates refered  to them as a trucking school.

For example, even today BSU only has 13 Doctoral programs, NT has 80+.

Now if things get bad, and several more teams get raided, BSU will more than likely get an invite to whatever is left.  The presidents suddenly will overlook a lot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Currently, nobody outside the DFW metro area really even knows what UNT is. 60 percent of UNT's student body comes from DFW alone, which is absolutely abysmal when considering geographic diversity and growing your national identity. Even worse, UNT rarely has any graduates that work beyond state lines. Therefore reinforcing the idea that UNT is a "community college." With an alumni base that simply doesn't care about athletics, and an outreach that only stretches to the lengths of DFW, the university hurts drastically on a national level.

Shaq shooting free throws is so much more accurate than this idiotic post. Thanks for trolling. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, NT80 said:

Embrace the history.  You, of all fans. 

What I meant was that while we must respect the past we can't dwell on it. It was 40 years ago that we dropped down to 1AA, not last year, so we can't continue to use that hick up as an excuse for the current lack of interest in UNT athletics. Someone posted that we have been playing big time football for decades. Since 1961 we have been in the MVC, Southland, Big West, Sun Belt, and CUSA. When Hayden took us independent we only played eleven P5 games during his six season tenure. Four against Mississippi St., Oklahoma St. three, Fl. St. two, and one each with Tennessee and Houston. In my opinion we need to be the best we can be at the highest level of competition we can reach. However, despite our past with some truly great football players who moved on the the pros we have never been a P5 program and with the NIL never will. It all comes down to money, and we just don't have it . The next 5 years probably will be worse instead of better with reduced tv revenues to the AAC and all G5 programs. The big fish always eat the little fish.

• Upvote 1

We are not a little fish, at least medium.  But I do agree with a few points, as an optimist by nature I must say I BELIEVE IN THE MEAN GREEN!  We shall see, I could win the Mega Millions and we NIL us a ***** quarterback. Seriously we are in the best conference with the most exposure we have ever been a part of and with a little luck, some talent, good coaching and alumni/fan support we could elevate our beloved program.  I could also win that Mega Millions 😁

• Upvote 1

It all comes down to monetary support for UNT athletics, which has been a historical problem for the 50+ years I have followed UNT sports.  Each year I have had hope that we have turned the corner, but it hasn't happened, although we have moved up some in the pecking order.  Unfortunately, that requires even more monetary support.  I agree that there has to be a priority expenditure of the money we do have and the athletic center is first on the list as it impacts the most student-athletes.  NIL has complicated securing money for facilities, but I truly think the athletic center has to be funded quickly or we will lose ground in the AAC.  I am once again hopeful that new marketing and fund-raising strategies might help...the old ones haven't done the job!  So if you win the big lottery, remember UNT!  GMG

• Upvote 2