This is always so sobering.

For those who are curious,

• UNT is 18th of the 20 current CUSA/AAC schools in Contributions
  • UNT is 16th of the 20 current CUSA/AAC schools in Ticket Revenue
  • UNT is 12th of the 20 current CUSA/AAC schools in Rights/Licensing Revenue

Woof

we have some work to do

• Upvote 2

I felt that Wren's staff (and Wren himself) had no hustle to them. They didn't work any to get more people interested. I noticed a *massive* drop off to engagement from what we got with RV's staff. Wren's people stopped calling, stopped any dinner invites or really any relationship development. It was all very transactional, and when your product is fairly lackluster, you really do need to keep the personal side engaged to keep the money flowing.

Since the relationship became merely transactional, I started looking at the bill closer. When they would send a generic email and say something like "Give $5000 more dollars to park in the White lot!" -- I'd divide that out over 5 games quickly realize that I am not going to pay $1000 per game to park closer in an otherwise empty game day.  Multiply that toward everything they send out and you see the problem with being purely transactional program. 

This program does not warrant the amount of money they are were charging. That is just the fact. Houston is bringing real programs in to play and have for many years. We play the scrubs of CUSA (lose half the time) and throw in some random religious small private school that no one has heard of.  Now they are leaning hard on the fact that we are going into the AAC (which is still just a G5 conference) and trying to make the whole selling feature. Anyone without a goldfish brain sees that this is just like when we went into the CUSA - the top teams are leaving - the scrubs are staying and backfilling with worse teams. AAC is the new CUSA and the TV dollars will change dramatically when the new contracts are negotiated with the new lineup. 

I have not seen any change in this area with the new AD. It is still very transactional. 

So yes, I agree, there is a lot of work to be done.

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I felt that Wren's staff (and Wren himself) had no hustle to them. They didn't work any to get more people interested. I noticed a *massive* drop off to engagement from what we got with RV's staff. Wren's people stopped calling, stopped any dinner invites or really any relationship development. It was all very transactional, and when your product is fairly lackluster, you really do need to keep the personal side engaged to keep the money flowing.

Since the relationship became merely transactional, I started looking at the bill closer. When they would send a generic email and say something like "Give $5000 more dollars to park in the White lot!" -- I'd divide that out over 5 games quickly realize that I am not going to pay $1000 per game to park closer in an otherwise empty game day.  Multiply that toward everything they send out and you see the problem with being purely transactional program. 

This program does not warrant the amount of money they are were charging. That is just the fact. Houston is bringing real programs in to play and have for many years. We play the scrubs of CUSA (lose half the time) and throw in some random religious small private school that no one has heard of.  Now they are leaning hard on the fact that we are going into the AAC (which is still just a G5 conference) and trying to make the whole selling feature. Anyone without a goldfish brain sees that this is just like when we went into the CUSA - the top teams are leaving - the scrubs are staying and backfilling with worse teams. AAC is the new CUSA and the TV dollars will change dramatically when the new contracts are negotiated with the new lineup. 

I have not seen any change in this area with the new AD. It is still very transactional. 

So yes, I agree, there is a lot of work to be done.

I can't really speak to football, but in terms of basketball I am seeing a big step up with this new group.