Softball vs. UT 3.1.23

UNTLifer

• UNTLifer changed the title to Softball vs. UT 3.1.23

Our opponent is 11-2-1 on the year.  They opened the year with a win against #23 Missouri followed by a loss to #8 Northwestern, have tied Kentucky, and split a series with #12 VA Tech.  The remainder of their wins are against the likes of Omaha, Illinois, Lamar, Loyola-Chicago, UIW, ACU and TX Southern who they beat 22-0 behind a no-hitter.

They have three young ladies hitting over .500 on the year and a team BA of .397.  They are three deep pitching although I wouldn't expect to see Gutierrez, who threw a no-hitter on Sunday, except for maybe a few innings if they are close to mounting a comeback.  The other two, Morgan (1.81 ERA) and Czech (1.84 ERA) are obviously solid.  Opponents are hitting .236 against Morgan and .208 vs. Czech, so we will have to be patient at the plate.  Based upon stats, Czech appears to be more of a strikeout pitcher with 26 K's in 26.2 innings pitched.

I would hope we find our offense early and put some pressure on them and make them play from behind.  Should be a good game.

One error on the throw from Gamble to second got us.  If she makes that throw to the infield side of the bag, we get the lead runner and possibly turn two.  Instead, they score and the batter ends up at third.  Then the next batter pops out to Gamble at first, but she slips trying to plant her back foot and throw home and does the splits.  Runner scores standing up.

Prior to the above, it was 2-1 UT as they scored earlier in the inning on HR.

We didn't look outmatched and were in the game right up until the end.  This team should/will continue to grow and will benefit from experiences such as this later in the year.  We have a strong, competitive and respected program.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

One error on the throw from Gamble to second got us.  If she makes that throw to the infield side of the bag, we get the lead runner and possibly turn two.  Instead, they score and the batter ends up at third.  Then the next batter pops out to Gamble at first, but she slips trying to plant her back foot and throw home and does the splits.  Runner scores standing up.

Prior to the above, it was 2-1 UT as they scored earlier in the inning on HR.

We didn't look outmatched and were in the game right up until the end.  This team should/will continue to grow and will benefit from experiences such as this later in the year.  We have a strong, competitive and respected program.

Their pitcher was dealing too. Umps gave them a lot of generous balls as well.

Well attended by the Green. We had a nice little section with some others scattered about 

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

Their pitcher was dealing too. Umps gave them a lot of generous balls as well.

Well attended by the Green. We had a nice little section with some others scattered about 

Loved the North Texas chant after the home run.  Sounded great on television.

4 hours ago, SoftballDad said:

The error on the throw to second wasn’t on her.

How do you figure?  She threw across the runner to the outfield side of the bag when she should have thrown to the infield side.

Edited by UNTLifer

1 hour ago, SoftballDad said:

Box score

So the official scorer gave the error to Simon.  That is a questionable ruling.  I played baseball for almost 20 years and was a middle infielder for some of that time.  With a runner on first on a ball hit to the first baseman, they are taught to throw to the infield side of the bag.

The throw to Simon crossed the runner making it a much more difficult play, and  one, if executed properly, would have resulted in the force out.

I understand from your screenname that you are probably the parent of a player.  To be clear, I love this team and love watching them compete.  I am not trying to pick on Gamble at all, but that play was on her.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So the official scorer gave the error to Simon.  That is a questionable ruling.  I played baseball for almost 20 years and was a middle infielder for some of that time.  With a runner on first on a ball hit to the first baseman, they are taught to throw to the infield side of the bag.

The throw to Simon crossed the runner making it a much more difficult play, and  one, if executed properly, would have resulted in the force out.

I understand from your screenname that you are probably the parent of a player.  To be clear, I love this team and love watching them compete.  I am not trying to pick on Gamble at all, but that play was on her.

I’m not questioning your love for the team, it’s obvious that you are a fan. I’m also not trying to point the finger and say that the error was on someone else. My point was there was really a couple of little things that could have happened to get that win, not just the error, regardless of who it was on. It all comes down to this team is playing a really tough schedule early. With the exception of a loss to a team they should have won, and the 1 bad loss to Arkansas, they have been in every game  and competed against teams that are in the top 25. Everyone one of those games (just like the Texas game) looking back had a couple of little things that could have changed the course of that game to the Greens favor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SoftballDad said:

I’m not questioning your love for the team, it’s obvious that you are a fan. I’m also not trying to point the finger and say that the error was on someone else. My point was there was really a couple of little things that could have happened to get that win, not just the error, regardless of who it was on. It all comes down to this team is playing a really tough schedule early. With the exception of a loss to a team they should have won, and the 1 bad loss to Arkansas, they have been in every game  and competed against teams that are in the top 25. Everyone one of those games (just like the Texas game) looking back had a couple of little things that could have changed the course of that game to the Greens favor.

Amen.

1 hour ago, SoftballDad said:

This. It seems we have one inning in each game where something happened we could not recover from. Ready to see how we do Friday.

• Upvote 1