DRC: Where does UNT go from here? A look at the search as it begins, potential candidates

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I hope and have a feeling we get a real home run of a hire. Mainly because I would love to rub it in the face of everyone saying “we shouldn’t have fired Seth” and “how can we expect better than we he did for us since we are North Texas with a bad athletic history”

No athletic history before 1989 & for a little over half a century was no worse than the Kansas State Wildcats.  They seem to have rebounded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

No athletic history before 1989 & for a little over half a century was no worse than the Kansas State Wildcats.  They seem to have rebounded. 

We must have a University President and AD that expect and demand success. It was one thing when we had no facilities or money to staff - those excuses are gone. I hope whoever they hire has a contracted that pays a very good base but put a great value on performance.

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes.  We don't need that learning curve again.  Seth was an OC at North Carolina.   He didn't have to hire and fire as a coordinator, deal with media or fan fundraisers, many things a HC is responsible for.   Some grasp it, some resist it!

No doubt some people are coordinators and some are head coaches (Wade Phillips comes to mind).  

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

NO!   We don't need to mess with any non-head coaches.   Too much of a learning curve.   We are beyond experiments with high school coaches and/or Coordinators with no HC time.

So you’d take Dan McCarney over Jeff Traylor?  I’d go back and take Littrell’s first 3 years in a heartbeat.  Then I’d tell him to take the dang KSU job.  I want guys that are hungry and still on the up, able to attract great assistants and recruit like a sonofaB.

32 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

So you’d take Dan McCarney over Jeff Traylor?  I’d go back and take Littrell’s first 3 years in a heartbeat.  Then I’d tell him to take the dang KSU job.  I want guys that are hungry and still on the up, able to attract great assistants and recruit like a sonofaB.

Yes.  We have a Bowl win and trophy with McCarney (and some bad memories).  Nothing but bad memories with Dodge (ie our Traylor).