Interesting conversation about Transfer portal and Juco's

fbcoach

This past weekend I had lunch with my brother-in-law (AD at a Texas Juco) and an AD from a B12 University. Our conversation turned to the transfer portal and how it is becoming the new route instead of looking at juco transfers for immediate help. The B12 AD said it was safer to recruit the portal than juco because these kids had higher potential academically and were highly sought after coming out of HS. Some are transferring because of bad fit/lack of playing time but others are starters that leave for better opportunities. He believes that going forward fewer programs would recruit jucos as they are looking to fill spots of immediate need. My BIL admitted that way fewer colleges were coming through his campus the last 2 years looking for talent. Traditionally they have 25-30 kids go on to 4 year schools for football each year but right now there is very little interest from those programs. He believes several of his kids that typically would be picked up by DI programs will fall to D2 type schools.

HS kids will always be the backbone of every program but I think this could be an opportunity for G5 programs to fill some spots with quality talent with less competition from the bigger dogs.  Just my thoughts..............

Edited by fbcoach
  • Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, fbcoach said:

This past weekend I had lunch with my brother-in-law (AD at a Texas Juco) and an AD from a B12 University. Our conversation turned to the transfer portal and how it is becoming the new route instead of looking at juco transfers for immediate help. The B12 AD said it was safer to recruit the portal than juco because these kids had higher potential academically and were highly sought after coming out of HS. Some are transferring because of bad fit/lack of playing time but others are starters that leave for better opportunities. He believes that going forward fewer programs would recruit jucos as they are looking to fill spots of immediate need. My BIL admitted that way fewer colleges were coming through his campus the last 2 years looking for talent. Traditionally they have 25-30 kids go on to 4 year schools for football each year but right now their is very little interest from those programs. He believes several of his kids that typically would be picked up by DI programs will fall to D2 type schools.

HS kids will always be the backbone of every program but I think this could be an opportunity for G5 programs to fill some spots with quality talent with less competition from the bigger dogs.  Just my thoughts..............

Agree, but I would not take anyone that could not show up for spring ball!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Agree, but I would not take anyone that could not show up for spring ball!

That is not hard to do if the Juco has a good academic advisor. My sister happens to be that person at this juco. 

Bring the non-qualifying kids in the summer after HS and start school immediately. 3 semesters plus 2 summers will easily get their 60 hours and associate degree. This allows them to go to their new program in the spring following their 2nd juco season. 

You also have qualifiers that are using juco as a stepping stone that can leave anytime they want. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1