✳️North Texas vs #19 San Diego State, Fouts Field, 1974—A Mean Green Win!

PlummMeanGreen

Wish our video guys could find the original & get this or one similar on YouTube.

A Memorable game for Hayden Fry’s Mean Green in only a “2 win” 1974 football season in Coach Fry’s 2’nd season as HFC. To beat the #19’th ranked SDSU Aztecs salvaged a poor season for the Mean Green.  

➡️ Go to clip 7 for the final part of this coach’s game film. Click the blue numbers to watch.  First thing you’ll notice are the jerseys & scoreboard numbers are backwards!🤢

GreenGrenade aka the late Rick Spears told me the Aztecs HFC (?) was so pissed after losing this game that he kicked the water fountain off the wall in the Fouts Field visitors locker room.  AD Fry sent him a bill but never heard if he sent the repair money.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc272190/m1/#track/7

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I remember that game very well. There were about 300 in attendance although the official reported attendance was 1000!

The "rumor mill" said that Fry voted SDSU very high in the coaches poll prior to the game which lead to their 18 or 19 ranking.  And yes, they did make a mess of the visitor's locker room!

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I remember that game very well. There were about 300 in attendance although the official reported attendance was 1000!

The "rumor mill" said that Fry voted SDSU very high in the coaches poll prior to the game which lead to their 18 or 19 ranking.  And yes, they did make a mess of the visitor's locker room!

Even the “big boys“ have been known to bite the big one at the gate every once in awhile.  Big 12 TCU got a lot of negative social media response on this particular day at Amon Carter Stadium. 

https://www.tcu360.com/story/18757images-empty-stadium-causes-concern-embarrassment/

GMG

PS I’d guess any NCAA coach who had a vote in the coach’s poll would be tempted to do the same as Fry “might” have done?  Just not sure how one coach’s vote could vault any team into a Top 20 poll, though.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen