Last 2 minutes of Iowa game

greenjoe

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Toward the very last of the Iowa game, a North Texas player left the game and the TV announcers said he was being removed because of a "medical _________".  I made a point to remember this call and promptly forgot it.  Does anyone recall this announcement by the TV guys ?

GO MEAN GREEN

It was Khairi Muhammad if I am remembering correctly. Does college football have booth initiated taking a player out for concussion?

From what I saw and heard in the stands....   No facts other than my perception.  

There was a stoppage in play and a trainer went on the field and it looked like was taping his arm or hand (possibly to stop some bleeding?).  The ref saw it and said that it was an inured player and he had to leave the game for a play, he further said that since it was on the defense that there would be no run off of time.  

Off subject, but related to the last 2 minutes of the game:

I don't really understand taking the timeouts when Iowa was most likely content to just run out the clock and leave with a 24-14 win.  No one has to explain to me why they did it, I understand, guess I just don't really agree.  Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Off subject, but related to the last 2 minutes of the game:

I don't really understand taking the timeouts when Iowa was most likely content to just run out the clock and leave with a 24-14 win.  No one has to explain to me why they did it, I understand, guess I just don't really agree.  Thoughts?

I really thought the same thing.  Then I reconsidered, Littrell was still thinking of some miracle to win the game.  Can't fault a coach for that.  

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Can't fault a coach for that.  

Can't disagree.

42 minutes ago, Big E said:

Coaching to give his team a chance to get the ball back and try and score.  I imagine he could care less about the score in that situation.

I get it and I realize I'm nitpicking here.   I just felt it was obvious that Iowa was willing to let the clock run out.  Had they been really trying to score, I would be 100% behind SL.  As it played out, I wouldn't have blamed Iowa for punching it in again to make it 38-14.  Iowa's perspective being: "You don't want to let us run out the clock then we won't." 

Again, I get it that he showed his players he believed in them and was doing everything in his power to give them a chance to win the game.   But the fan in me sure likes the looks of 24-14 better than 31-14.

58 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Can't disagree.

I get it and I realize I'm nitpicking here.   I just felt it was obvious that Iowa was willing to let the clock run out.  Had they been really trying to score, I would be 100% behind SL.  As it played out, I wouldn't have blamed Iowa for punching it in again to make it 38-14.  Iowa's perspective being: "You don't want to let us run out the clock then we won't." 

Again, I get it that he showed his players he believed in them and was doing everything in his power to give them a chance to win the game.   But the fan in me sure likes the looks of 24-14 better than 31-14.

I understand.  Personally, I was thinking the same thing, but understood what SL was trying to do.

I like coaching for a miracle come back a LOT better than "Remember our check when you look at the scoreboard." I don't think we ever stopped trying to win, at least we weren't obvious about it. And our players will learn the never quit attitude which is going to help in close games both later this season and years from now. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

Can't disagree.

Ferentz has been around for a LONG TIME.   He knew what was going on (understanding Littrell's effort/instilling "no quit" mentality for his team), and isn't a jerk.