It's a Great Time to Root for a Texas Group of 5 Team

Harry

At UTSA Frank Wilson has taken the Roadrunners on a historic eighteen month ride which included a first ever bowl trip, the best recruiting class in school history, and a brash approach to going up against the big boys for the top talent in the state. They have the most experienced squad in CUSA and the talent to win the league. Perhaps they can even pull ten plus wins out of 2017. Don't be shocked if they do. They might also take down that Power-5 school that resides in Waco.  Make no mistake, Wilson is big game hunting.

Their neighbors and rivals up I-35, North Texas, hired a relative unknown in Seth Littrell who inherited one of the worst roster situations in college football and took the Mean Green to a bowl game. Get in on North Texas now, because once Littrell gets more of his pieces in place they're going to be one of the most exciting teams in CUSA. 

Read more:  https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/7/8/sunday-musings-its-a-great-to-root-for-a-texas-group-of-5-team?utm_content=buffer13b93&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Rivals?!?!?!

I still think we're a little behind in the building process but on the right track if we can get a few more playmakers on the team and better QB play. 

I wish CUSA would set it up so that we play the same team (as would every other conf member) every year at the end of the season. MUTS would play WKU, UAB would play USM and so on. If both teams are good and battling for the division, it could be a fun game. I'd make ours either UTSA or La Tech but that's me. 

• Upvote 5

And if Wilson is that good of a recruiter, kicks major butt on the field this season, and goes to another bowl, look for a P5* in need of a coach to come calling.

* Notice I did not reference P6 like the fools on the AAC board do.  You know, the self anointed ones.

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2017 at 8:29 AM, MGNation92 said:

I would love to see some proof on this. People keep saying Wilson is cheating.

Maybe he's just flat out kicking our ass on and off the field? 

Talk with people in the industry, and you'll find it to be common knowledge. There aren't a lot of AD's or Presidents who would sign off on hiring Wilson based on his background. Wilson was the money ("bag") guy at LSU for years. He was a noted cheater in the dirtiest conference (SEC) in college football. He has now hired Bo Davis for crying out loud. The guy doesn't care. He wants to win at all costs in San Antonio, and parlay that into a P5 job.

• Upvote 1

I don't doubt this. It's very common for programs that suck (Baylor) or unknown (UTSA), and suddenly get good to be doing something a little shady. Baylor had lots going on, UTSA will be exposed eventually but they might have already made a name for themselves at that point. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Talk with people in the industry, and you'll find it to be common knowledge. There aren't a lot of AD's or Presidents who would sign off on hiring Wilson based on his background. Wilson was the money ("bag") guy at LSU for years. He was a noted cheater in the dirtiest conference (SEC) in college football. He has now hired Bo Davis for crying out loud. The guy doesn't care. He wants to win at all costs in San Antonio, and parlay that into a P5 job.

2 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I don't doubt this. It's very common for programs that suck (Baylor) or unknown (UTSA), and suddenly get good to be doing something a little shady. Baylor had lots going on, UTSA will be exposed eventually but they might have already made a name for themselves at that point. 

So if it's common industry knowledge why isn't anything being done?

Also, if he puts UTSA on the map, it won't matter what he did to get them there. They'll just be there, and we'll be here hoping and praying this coaching hire actually works out for us

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Exactly my thoughts on Davis.  He got Bama some unwanted attention. 

NCAA gave Davis a two year show cause penalty in April to run through 2019.  Yet, UTSA has kept him on.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2017 at 6:26 AM, MGNation92 said:

So if it's common industry knowledge why isn't anything being done?

Also, if he puts UTSA on the map, it won't matter what he did to get them there. They'll just be there, and we'll be here hoping and praying this coaching hire actually works out for us

There's plenty being done. Just like in the other cases of recruiting violations, it takes the NCAA a long time to initiate and conduct an investigation. Frankly, UTSA is not a very high priority for them. It's one of those deals where it'll all come out years down the road, after Wilson is gone.

• Upvote 1