Now it's USM's AD

Arkstfan

1 minute ago, wardly said:

So Austin residents are "Middle Texans"?

I guess it all depends on what you call your part of the state.   Austin would be "Central Texas", right?  At least, that's what I think I've heard them referred to as.

Tennessee (I have family there, that's why I know this stuff) is split into 3 regions:   East, Middle, & West.

http://kc.vanderbilt.edu/kennedy_files/TennesseeMap.pdf

18 hours ago, wardly said:

Frisco has the 1AA championship football game, a new yet to be named minor football  bowl game, and CUSA basketball tournament. They also had either a Division or NAIA championship basketball game[I forget which]. Lack of hotel rooms has limited their ability to compete for other college events, but that is changing rapidly with 4 or more upscale hotels under construction. With a great AA baseball venue [Rough Riders]look for them to seek college opportunities in that sport.And no, there is not anything Frisco will not try to land. As Arkstfan duly noted, Indianapolis is a great roll model.

Frisco has the college baseball challenge every year.  a 4 team round robin tournament with top level teams come in at the beginning of each season and play at the RR stadium

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Frisco has the college baseball challenge every year.  a 4 team round robin tournament with top level teams come in at the beginning of each season and play at the RR stadium

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, (and this is likely just semantics) they probably do...

...Just like The University of North Texas shares the name of the region where we are located.   People in DFW would consider ourselves "North Texans".   The area where Nashville & Murfreesboro are located is called Middle Tennessee.  They would likely consider themselves "Middle Tennesseans".

You do realize I live in Tennessee and only three hours from Nashville? What I am telling you is, when you got to Nashville nobody is talking about things going on in "Middle Tennessee" but when you are in DFW people do say "North Texas" especially on TV. Yes there is an area known to some extent as Middle Tennessee but it is not referred to as such very much at all.

10 hours ago, wardly said:

So Austin residents are "Middle Texans"?

I refer to UT as the University of Central Texas. 

2 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

You do realize I live in Tennessee and only three hours from Nashville? What I am telling you is, when you got to Nashville nobody is talking about things going on in "Middle Tennessee" but when you are in DFW people do say "North Texas" especially on TV. Yes there is an area known to some extent as Middle Tennessee but it is not referred to as such very much at all.

As another Tennessee resident, I'd have to say that's not my experience.  If anything, there is a much clearer delineation of West, Middle, and East Tennessee than there is of the different regions of Texas.  And people from TN definitely identify with one of those three regions.  Which are what the 3 stars of the TN flag represent.

• Upvote 1

Let me put it this way, if a Nashvillain went to Texas and someone asked where they are from, they are NOT going to say "Middle Tennessee". But if a person from Dallas or one of the many surrounding communities went to Tennessee and someone asked where they are from, they MIGHT say "North Texas".

28 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Let me put it this way, if a Nashvillain went to Texas and someone asked where they are from, they are NOT going to say "Middle Tennessee". But if a person from Dallas or one of the many surrounding communities went to Tennessee and someone asked where they are from, they MIGHT say "North Texas".

I'd think it would more likely be the opposite.  I know people from the Nashville area who regularly refer to their home as "Middle Tennessee."  But until someone does an extensive poll, we're both speculating as to what the general rule on that would be.

8 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I think most would likely say, "I'm from Nashville." (even if they're from Clarksville) or, "I'm from Dallas" (even if they're from Decatur), to try and make it easier on whoever it is they're talking to.   I know I do this.
I would not expect the normal Tennessean to know "North Texas" is the DFW & surrounding area.   Heck, I would guess most non-Texans would think "North Texas" is the Panhandle since it's furthest North.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess it all depends on what you call your part of the state.   Austin would be "Central Texas", right?  At least, that's what I think I've heard them referred to as.

Tennessee (I have family there, that's why I know this stuff) is split into 3 regions:   East, Middle, & West.

http://kc.vanderbilt.edu/kennedy_files/TennesseeMap.pdf

Guys, I was just pimping you. North Texas is a region that encompasses DFW and surrounding area. I have only been to Nashville once and have no idea what part of Tennessee it is considered to be in.