Timeframe For A New Coach

Eagle-96

So assuming Benford is let go on or around March 4th what is a good timeframe for hiring a replacement. IIRC Benford was named head coach at UNT about two weeks after JJ was announced at LSU. I wanna make the right hire here and I want Wren to take the time he needs to make the right choice. I know the NCAA tourney will come into play as the Benford firing should happen 4-5 weeks earlier then the JJ departure. Should we expect to see the new coach mid April?

Edited by Eagle-96

Is there a firing or just not a contract renewal? Is that the same thing? Hum just wondering out loud.

I hope any coach we pick is in the tourney and we have to wait to at least April. So you are saying tax day? 

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You don't think we could lure Davis from TXSouthern... who'll likely go?

I've said for over a year now that I'd love a guy like Roman Banks out of Southern. 

But I think Davis, if he wants to take another stab at coaching outside the SWAC, is probably aiming higher, and would probably be able to get it with another tournament appearance. 

15 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Maybe have to settle for AT the tourney?

I should say that I assumed DL1 meant a head coach in the tournament. 

If we have an assistant we like that's live in the tournament, that could absolutely be a factor in timing of the hire. 

24 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I've said for over a year now that I'd love a guy like Roman Banks out of Southern. 

But I think Davis, if he wants to take another stab at coaching outside the SWAC, is probably aiming higher, and would probably be able to get it with another tournament appearance. 

I should say that I assumed DL1 meant a head coach in the tournament. 

If we have an assistant we like that's live in the tournament, that could absolutely be a factor in timing of the hire. 

That was what I was getting at, and gets me excited also. 

I am excited about this hire. Seems like we are due, with Wren at the helm I am expecting we do very well. I will especially look for TTG's blessing on this.

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Just not a realistic scenario at all, man. 

Agreed, but what about a head coach of an NIT team?  In some ways I think a mid-major head coach who places his team in the NIT based on regular season performance might be a safer bet than the guy with the flashier success of an NCAA tournament appearance and/or win.  Perhaps this hypothetical coach also won't garner as much attention for higher paying gigs.

I would even take a serious look at a head coach who can pull off a string of wins in the CBI or CIT.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Agreed, but what about a head coach of an NIT team?  In some ways I think a mid-major head coach who places his team in the NIT based on regular season performance might be a safer bet than the guy with the flashier success of an NCAA tournament appearance and/or win.  Perhaps this hypothetical coach also won't garner as much attention for higher paying gigs.

I would even take a serious look at a head coach who can pull off a string of wins in the CBI or CIT.

Much more realistic. You're getting a coach who has proven themselves a winner, but doesn't yet (or currently) have the one thing that makes them a hot commodity someone can sell to a power conference fan base. 

It's still really unlikely, though... Because guys who win regular season championships are still very likely to get raises and or extensions from their current school. Which means more guaranteed money, a longer leash, and the benefit of a stable, familiar environment where you know you can succeed. 

Tough, tough, tough to get a currently employed D1 head coach that's actually worth having here. This is a more realistic concept of how we might make it happen, though. 

Following up... Last year I actually did a capsule on a coach who fits the profile that @Greendylan is talking about. 

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

This is all a waste of time.  RV already had a short list of candidates in the event he needed to replace TonyB:

Chris Carrawell
Stan Johnson
Brett Nelson

Well, if you were on old-what's-his-name's short list, you just received the...

giphy.gif