MGB: UNT reporting day notes (status of JC additions)

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, I read it.  And, I fully understand not qualifying out of high school if you have some sort of problem.  How, in two years, no one can correct this in order to pass the most basic classes - and, the JUCO classes are achingly basic...that takes alot of not studying.

Look, I had a nephew flunk out of SFA after scoring well enough to get into better schools.  The kid just got to college and decided he wanted to smoke dope and hang out with his fraternity instead of going to classes. 

Some kids might have some sort of learning disability; but, many others don't.  They are like my nephew:  they don't see the big picture. 

Second time around, there shouldn't be qualifying issues.  Too many people in place to help out. 

looks like you've failed three times just within this thread. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Greendylan said:

JUCOs are loaded with programs to assist students from diverse educational backgrounds.  In many cases they have more resources dedicated to at-risk students than universities (though not necessarily solely designed for athletes). Having said that, there are many students at JUCOs who simply are so unprepared for college level work that no matter how hard they try, it's an uphill battle.

Thank you.

As far as one of the recruits, here's the tutoring page for the college: https://www.azwestern.edu/student-success-center/tutoring

Just choose how you want to be tutored...if, of course, you want tutoring.  Again, it's that nagging "want" that is sometimes lacking. 

Navarro, where another JUCO in limbo attended:  http://www.navarrocollege.edu/support-services/trio/sss/

You have to have me believe that the unqualified are not being pushed by the JUCO coaches and the coaches to the schools where they've committed to take advantage of these services.  As if all coaches said after the commitments, "Well...done with those guys.  They've made their commitments.  Their academics must be in line."

One of the recruits had Nebraska back out after they spoke to the academic folk at his JUCO.  So, the big programs do their homework, and aren't forced to gamble.  We have to gamble more.  But, sadly, sometimes all of the help and cajoling in the world can't get a kid motivated enough to do it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 8/8/2016 at 11:37 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, I read it.  And, I fully understand not qualifying out of high school if you have some sort of problem.  How, in two years, no one can correct this in order to pass the most basic classes - and, the JUCO classes are achingly basic...that takes alot of not studying.

Look, I had a nephew flunk out of SFA after scoring well enough to get into better schools.  The kid just got to college and decided he wanted to smoke dope and hang out with his fraternity instead of going to classes. 

Some kids might have some sort of learning disability; but, many others don't.  They are like my nephew:  they don't see the big picture. 

Second time around, there shouldn't be qualifying issues.  Too many people in place to help out. 

Your nephew being a poor student because he was purportedly lazy doesn't make everyone who has academic issues lazy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BigDanTeague said:

Your nephew being a poor student because he was purportedly lazy doesn't make everyone who has academic issues lazy.

Thanks, Dan; but, that's not what I said. I merely gave an example of what some kids do at school instead of studying. 

By the way, two of the JUCO didn't qualify second time around.  My nephew who flunked out is now a shift leader at chicken wing joint.  So...he's found his place in this world without academics.

2 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Of course, it was a Lon time ago, but I was a junco transfer.  The classes I had were not all that different in rigor than the ones I had at NTSC-NTSU.  The big difference was the Juno classes were basically gen Ed and not major courses.

The most basic math and reading classes at JUCOs are very basic; like, elementary school basic.  I could put my 10 year old son in them, and he'd pass.  Go to a community or junior college bookstore and look at the basic math and reading materials. 

• Downvote 3

most basic math and reading classes at JUCOs are very basic; like, elementary school basic.  I could put my 10 year old son in them, and he'd pass.  Go to a community or junior college bookstore and look at the basic math and reading materials. 

The courses you are talking about are remedial courses.  If you check the transfer courses, you will find the texts will most likely be the same as used in four year colleges.  

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Really?  Guess it depends on the conference.

Well, Nebraska cut his scholarship; that's Big Ten.  UAB followed suit after he didn't qualify in time for the February signing date; that's C-USA. 

So, yeah...different times. 

Many academic rules have changed since Manley and Hanspard.  Manley played in a Big Eight that allowed three non-qualifiers per year as long as they sat out the first year.  That went on until the formation of the Big 12.

(Prop 48, for those too young to remember:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-01-03/sports/1996003108_1_osborne-fiesta-bowl-nebraska-coach
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/ncaa-graduation-rates-quarter-century-tracking-academic-success
http://scholarship.law.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1385&context=lawreview

As far as Hanspard, he admits that what he did was a mistake of his own making.  He qualified out of high school and was doing fine academically.  He just decided that he wasn't going to go to class because he had made up his mind to enter the NFL draft anyway.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

Just messing with you.  I agree that if they can't qualify out of high school and through the JUCO process, then they probably don't need to be at a university eating a scholarship someone better suited could utilize.  Wish we had Johnson and Hayes, but as Coach Littrell said, we can only worry about the players we have, not the ones we don't have.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The most basic math and reading classes at JUCOs are very basic; like, elementary school basic.  I could put my 10 year old son in them, and he'd pass.  Go to a community or junior college bookstore and look at the basic math and reading materials. 

As someone that attended a CC before UNT, you are wrong. The classes are not any different than major university classes. Your insinuation that CCs dumb down their material because the students there are stupid is just wrong and borderline offensive. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

As someone that attended a CC before UNT, you are wrong. The classes are not any different than major university classes. Your insinuation that CCs dumb down their material because the students there are stupid is just wrong and borderline offensive. 

Agreed...i had to go to NCTC before i went to UNT. becuase i moved here from arkansas i had to take some stupid thing called a compass test and you have to get at least a 75 on reading, math and i believe writing (this was in 05 so i don't really remember). I bombed math and got like a 40 and unfortunately screwed up and got a 74 on the reading portion. After those scores i was required to take 2 remedial math courses and a remedial reading class (none of them counted as credits).They were pretty easy. The actual non remedial courses were just as tough if not tougher then some of the courses i took at UNT.