MGB breaking news -- Key UNT player arrested

Brett Vito

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Laugh, if you like.  But the 1999 Big 12 had three teams in the Top 10 in November of that year.  C-USA likely won't have a team in the Top 25. 

We're not in a difficult conference.

I see your comparison of the air raid system with Leach showing up at OU.

My concern is that the more apt comparison is just down the road... 

...a team that went 1-11 while giving up on a coach during a blowout loss goes out the following offseason and hires the hotshot, up-&-coming offensive coordinator from the ACC.  They beat a local rival to start 1-0, only to finish the year at 2-10.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...a team that went 1-11 while giving up on a coach during a blowout loss goes out the following offseason and hires the hotshot, up-&-coming offensive coordinator from the ACC.  They beat a local rival to start 1-0, only to finish the year at 2-10.

Much better comparison. I'd take 2-10 this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And lost to a FCS school. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Mid day internet ramblings. 

Being a child in the 70's and 80's I can remember seeing folks driving with one arm on the wheel and the other holding their beer.  It was illegal then too but not stringently enforced.  The national crack down on drunk driving in the mid 80's necessarily changed this and was overdue.  Do others here have memories of the same? It just gives me pause sometimes when I think how much things have changed.

You could drive while drinking a beer until 2001. It wasn't illegal. It was only outlawed when the Feds threatened to take highway funds away from Texas unless they complied. 

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/083101/upd_075-6321.shtml#.V5uAO_Q8LCQ

19 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Actually, it used to be legal to drink and drive in Texas in that there was no open container law and the officer had to observe you actually drinking the beverage.

Wrong. You could drive down the road and drink away in front of officers as long as you weren't drunk. 

Different times. 

EDIT: actually, the very article I quoted proves you are right. That was rarely enforced, though. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You could drive while drinking a beer until 2001. It wasn't illegal. It was only outlawed when the Feds threatened to take highway funds away from Texas unless they complied. 

Wrong. You could drive down the road and drink away in front of officers as long as you weren't drunk. 

Different times. 

EDIT: actually, the very article I quoted proves you are right. That was rarely enforced, though. 

You're right for the most part, but if memory serves me correct, I think 2001 was the year that Texas outlawed ANY unlocked open containers in the vehicle as well as moving to .08 from .10. Prior to 2001 for several years, passengers were allowed open containers, but drivers weren't allowed to actually drink while driving.  

Back in roughly the early nineties, Texas drivers were allowed since the beginning of time to drive down the highway and legally sip on a bottle of Jack Daniels as long as they didn't hit .10. Definitely different times.

48 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Different times. 

ZZ Top, from Mexican Blackbird, 1975:

Oh, let's drive that old Chrysler down to Mexico, boy.
Said, keep your hands on the wheel there.
Oh, it sure is fine, ain't it?
Now, ya got it! Hand me another one of them brews from back there.