UNT, TWU ready for campus carry

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that UTPB  [ UT - Permian Basin ( approx. 6000 students, Odessa)  ] just banned tobacco use  (and electronic cigarettes)  on campus for the coming year but it is now legal to carry a gun on campus and to classrooms...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I find it interesting that UTPB  [ UT - Permian Basin ( approx. 6000 students, Odessa)  ] just banned tobacco use  (and electronic cigarettes)  on campus for the coming year but it is now legal to carry a gun on campus and to classrooms...

What's not to like? That is a twofer! One device, you fire a round, then vape.

8 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

One is a state made decision, the other is a campus made decision. Schools don't really have a choice when it comes to campus carry.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

One is a state made decision, the other is a campus made decision. Schools don't really have a choice when it comes to campus carry.

True .. but let colleges make that decision too .... Politicians are just playing politics to get votes from the NRA types.... They are not on campus and do not understand the situation... My college campus opposes it also and they are banned ...but we will be forced into allowing them next year [community colleges ] No private college in the state allows them either that I know of... they made that decision.  

Until lately ... it was an issue left to each university ... and it still should be.  ... [[ Just more government control..that isn't being conservative  ]]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Until lately ... it was an issue left to each university ... and it still should be.  ... [[ Just more government control..that isn't being conservative  ]]

As usual you are just flat out wrong.   The decision was not left in the hands of the universities. The initial Texas CHL law (SB 60, 74th Legislature, 1995) did not carve out an exception to prosecution for Texas Penal Code sec. 46.03.   TPC 46.03 defined schools, polling places during elections, courts, racetracks and secured areas of airports as places where it was illegal to have a weapon.

Prior to SB 7 public universities did not have the issue left to them, the Texas Legislature had decided.  After SB 7, public universities still did not have the issue left to them, again the Texas Legislature had decided.  

You may be right .... I was not aware that the 1995 law applied to college campuses... just public schools I thought were gun free zones.  ... .nothing changed where I am and know of people that had hunting rifles etc. in their cars/trucks... nothing was ever said to us about it... ....but until then each campus made it own rules. 

Maybe it did not apply to community colleges .. the new law doesn't apply to us until next year (2017)..  

So I am wrong as usual.???  insulting... and you are an administrator.. I thought yawl wanted that stopped... guess not. . Unfortunately not all of us know everything about everything as you do. I suppose you are an expert on Calculus too .. that is one of the subjects I teach at the college level. 

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

You may be right .... I was not aware that the 1995 law applied to college campuses... just public schools I thought were gun free zones.  ... .nothing changed where I am and know of people that had hunting rifles etc. in their cars/trucks... nothing was ever said to us about it... ....but until then each campus made it own rules. 

Maybe it did not apply to community colleges .. the new law doesn't apply to us until next year (2017)..  

So I am wrong as usual.???  insulting... and you are an administrator.. I thought yawl wanted that stopped... guess not. . Unfortunately not all of us know everything about everything as you do. I suppose you are an expert on Calculus too .. that is one of the subjects I teach at the college level. 

You should quit while you are behind.

You are wrong, if you feel insulted there's not much anyone else can do about that.

You brought politics into this discussion by trying to call out conservatives. You should be happy you aren't suspended.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

You should quit while you are behind.

You are wrong, if you feel insulted there's not much anyone else can do about that.

You brought politics into this discussion by trying to call out conservatives. You should be happy you aren't suspended.

Real conservatives (if they really are one) should offended that we now have more government interference... I am disappointed ... let each school make their own decision... they are capable of that .. they understand the conditions on their campus better than someone in Austin (or Washington )... just pointing out the obvious... 

No I am not always wrong and neither is anyone here always right .. That is an insulting and inaccurate statement... So are you telling me you are always right or maybe always wrong.?? ....  If the administrators don't like insults.. then they shouldn't make them either..  I agree with the policy .. show respect to others.....  some of us weren't and that is why some topics are now "locked". ... I am not the liberal as a couple try to picture me in fact more the opposite on most issues especially financial and on excessive government control. . [ note I rarely post anymore .. got tired of the insults and picturing me different that I am.. and putting words into my mouth that I don't believe ] 

Politics..??? . any decision a government body makes is political .... and this was just one of them.   I mentioned no person or party ... 

PS: I guess I am been in violation the current policy then .. there have been times I have had a rifle or shotgun locked up in my car on the college campus parking lot.....remember it absolutely wasn't when I started to work here...(before 1995 ...  pickups with guns exposed in racks were fairly common then .. I quit  much earlier because  of theft reasons. )  That has never been mentioned at any meeting I attended on campus as being illegal... Shocked.?? ... I am not the anti-gun person a couple of guys here  try to picture me .. I own ranch-land and they were there for a valid reason. ..snakes is one. 

Carrying a gun around or having one in a dorm room is completely different that having one locked, hidden, and unloaded in a car... mostly a safety issue ... too many careless people drop them or mess with them and let them go of... too many of those  unfortunate stories out there.. . They are not toys. I have had guns in my classroom several   times ... and a law enforcement person had them .. no problem... but most of them don't even wear them to class... just their uniform.. ... 

Is all of this wrong again... I am never right he said....

• Downvote 3

On August 10, 2016 at 10:01 AM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

True .. but let colleges make that decision too .... Politicians are just playing politics to get votes from the NRA types.... They are not on campus and do not understand the situation... My college campus opposes it also and they are banned ...but we will be forced into allowing them next year [community colleges ] No private college in the state allows them either that I know of... they made that decision.  

Every college opposes it. Isn't it funny how liberal college life is so judgey of those who want to legally carry a gun. 

It seems the only person you think is smart enough to carry a gun is you. If that's even true...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Every college opposes it. Isn't it funny how liberal college life is so judgey of those who want to legally carry a gun. 

This is how they want it to be...

Society is becoming a more nasty, violent place every day. Take responsibility for your own safety or risk becoming a statistic.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2