MGB: Q&A with Rick Villarreal as he leaves UNT

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

RV says he has no idea why things fell off so quickly in football after the HOD bowl . Mind-blowing that someone could be an AD for 15 years and not figure out why.  

The coach was in his 60's and he probably put too much trust into Mac while running football. Basically a lazy thing to do get something off your plate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

MGB: Long-time North Texas athletic director humbled and satisfied with accomplishments

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/05/rick-villarreal-qa-as-he-leaves-unt-after-nearly-15-years.html/

You can't be humbled by your own accomplishments. Someone call BaD radio.

Should be "humbled by failures, but satisfied with accomplishments."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV an ex football coach should easily have figured out why football dropped off so quickly.   Did he never look at recruiting compared to peer programs?  Obviously not, are he would not have gave $2M away with a senseless contract extension.   

I do agree that NT is a lot better off than it was when RV took over and that would be an accomplishment if 15 years had not passed.   

The only real praise I can give RV is that he definitely was a survivor.   It took damn close to total failure for a change to be made.   

• Upvote 1

Adding divisiveness to a losing culture, not changed the culture, but whatevs. See ya.

What is clear from this interview is that this was a termination, not a resignation. RV knows there will be very few touting his accomplishments (what should happen when a long term employee leaves) and just can't help but toot his own horn while heading out the door. Whatevs again. 

I can't wait to start talking about the new AD and the new direction that this program is headed. 

I would encourage everyone on here to do one thing:

Once the new AD is announced, email him with things that have been neglected by the former staff that you have personally experienced. For instance, @oldguystudent, please send him an email detailing your experiences trying to simply walk up and buy tickets to a basketball game. I'm emailing him on scheduling football games and promises made to club seat holders. Those that experienced troubling getting your HOD bowl tickets, let him know. He really needs to understand the challenging situation that he is walking into. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Adding divisiveness to a losing culture, not changed the culture, but whatevs. See ya.

What is clear from this interview is that this was a termination, not a resignation. RV knows there will be very few touting his accomplishments (what should happen when a long term employee leaves) and just can't help but toot his own horn while heading out the door. Whatevs again. 

I can't wait to start talking about the new AD and the new direction that this program is headed. 

I would encourage everyone on here to do one thing:

Once the new AD is announced, email him with things that have been neglected by the former staff that you have personally experienced. For instance, @oldguystudent, please send him an email detailing your experiences trying to simply walk up and buy tickets to a basketball game. I'm emailing him on scheduling football games and promises made to club seat holders. Those that experienced troubling getting your HOD bowl tickets, let him know. He really needs to understand the challenging situation that he is walking into. 

Serious question, didn't you already sell your club seats for this coming season? Will you be purchasing a separate set since you got rid of RV? I'm curious how you will attend games if you've already given up your tix.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Serious question, didn't you already sell your club seats for this coming season? Will you be purchasing a separate set since you got rid of RV? I'm curious how you will attend games if you've already given up your tix.

Club seat deal is sealed for this year. I'll probably use tickets that ALWAYS float around our tailgate or buy wingzone seats. 

Next year I can take the seats back if I so choose. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Harry, I can't plus you but I couldn't agree more.  Just criticize the post and not the person.

While I'm at it, I hate to see vulgar profanity used on this board.  I was in the Navy for four years and have heard and probably used about every known cuss words and a few that were made up.  But, we don't know who reads this board and it wouldn't surprise me if young kids were not viewers.  I hope that you can find a more refined way of expressing yourselves in future postings.  Thanks for any effort.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Club seat deal is sealed for this year. I'll probably use tickets that ALWAYS float around our tailgate or buy wingzone seats. 

Next year I can take the seats back if I so choose. 

Good deal. I'm happy to see you'll be out at the games.

On May 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM, GrandGreen said:

RV an ex football coach should easily have figured out why football dropped off so quickly.   Did he never look at recruiting compared to peer programs?  Obviously not, are he would not have gave $2M away with a senseless contract extension.   

I do agree that NT is a lot better off than it was when RV took over and that would be an accomplishment if 15 years had not passed.   

The only real praise I can give RV is that he definitely was a survivor.   It took damn close to total failure for a change to be made.   

This is a great point. Look at the recruiting and you can see the future of the program. In Mcs case most the key players were not his recruits! The length of the renew was 1 yr to long.