UNT Homecoming 2016 - Saturday November 5th

NTAlum09

43 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Looking at the schedule, I don't really see any more realistic option for homecoming.  I'm guessing that a drubbing at the hands of LaTech is going to be less embarrassing than a drubbing at the hands of Bethune-Cookman.  

If we get drubbed by Beth Cookman, I'll join the other 90+ percenters and leave without ever looking back. Someone will have to tap me on the shoulder in the future and tell me that we're in the Top 25 before I'll jump back on that bandwagon again.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, foutsrouts said:

If we get drubbed by Beth Cookman, I'll join the other 90+ percenters and leave without ever looking back. Someone will have to tap me on the shoulder in the future and tell me that we're in the Top 25 before I'll jump back on that bandwagon again.

I do believe that the whole FCS opponent thing was a function of Mac more than it was ever a function of RV.  We've got three or four more years to play out existing contracts, barring a miraculous infusion of cash that let's us buy out of them.  After that, I maintain hope that we'll be done with this horrific experiment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

How much control do we have over conference scheduling?  Honest question.  I kinda get the impression that the conference sets that.

Homecoming usually isn't a conference game. 

Scheduling is an afterthought at UNT, this is just another example. The most important part of scheduling to the Hattiesburg Hustler is getting a whore game to make his job easier. After that, there is a huge pile of give up shoved down UNT fans throat. 

It has been illustrate over and over again by the Hattiesburg Hustler. This isn't anything new.

A November homecoming is unacceptable for this team this season for numerous reasons. UNT may go into that game as a no or a one win team. If they are that bad, there won't be an attendance bump from homecoming. 

With this team, it would be wetter getting to have homecoming the 2nd game of the year in a game that should at least be competitive. The earlier the better this year. Strike while there is still foolish hope.

But we all know that the Hustler will never take that chance after last season. No patsy to blame it on this year...

22 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I do believe that the whole FCS opponent thing was a function of Mac more than it was ever a function of RV.  We've got three or four more years to play out existing contracts, barring a miraculous infusion of cash that let's us buy out of them.  After that, I maintain hope that we'll be done with this horrific experiment.

Is anything ever the Hattiesburg Hustler's fault? 

Look, the Hustler went on a podcast last fall and said this was all his plan. Plus, Mac is long gone and the Hustler is still hustling the schedule the same exact way.

I swear to God, at UNT failure is always someone else's fault. "It's not my fault" is the standard go to, as is blaming former employees for their own terrible decisions. 

It's no coincidence that it's also some other university that always experiences athetic success.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Homecoming opponents in my time at UNT

2008 -- Troy October 25th Loss 45-17*

2009 -- FAU October 17 Loss 44-40*

2010 -- FIU October 16 Loss 34-10*

2011 -- Lousiana Monroe October 22 Win 38-21*

2012 -- Arkansas State November 3 Loss 37-19*

2013 -- UTEP November 9 Win 41-7*

2014 -- FAU November 8 Win 31-10*

2015 -- Portland St October 10 Loss 66-7

* -- Conference opponent

So, only in 2015 was homecoming NOT against a conference opponent.  The date range appears to be October 10 through November 9.  Our options are then Marshall and LaTech.  Both are going to be severe beatdowns.  I think Marshall is probably the far superior team, but I think LaTech will be more likely to run the score up.  So pick your poison.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

* -- Conference opponent

So, only in 2015 was homecoming NOT against a conference opponent.  The date range appears to be October 10 through November 9.  Our options are then Marshall and LaTech.  Both are going to be severe beatdowns.  I think Marshall is probably the far superior team, but I think LaTech will be more likely to run the score up.  So pick your poison.

Lord forbid anyone at UNT AD ever think outside their 1990s box. I did think their were more non-conference homecoming opponents. My bad.

That said, conference scheduled are also a function of politicking. I doubt any politicking occurred from the Hustler, certainly none that was effective. There are things that could have been done to avoid this eventuality.

But at UNT, they never are.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

49 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

A more damning statement is that we seem to be the homecoming opponent four or five times a season when on the road.  We're easy low hanging fruit pickens. 

Hustler don't care. Hustler still hustling.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

* -- Conference opponent

We may or may not lose to La Tech, but calling it a sever beatdown might be a stretch. They are losing a TON!! 

19 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We may or may not lose to La Tech, but calling it a sever beatdown might be a stretch. They are losing a TON!! 

And we are coming off the worst college football season I've ever seen at North Texas. If an FCS team can beat us by 60 these guys could beat us by 100. It depends on if these players have decided to be football players or quitters.

I'm sorry but these kids pissed me off last year and most of them are returning. Every ex player I've spoken to is disgusted with these guys and the Athletic Department. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Every ex player I've spoken to is disgusted with these guys and the Athletic Department. 

At every other FBS university in Texas this would matter. Sadly, at UNT making sure the Hattiesburg Hustler gets an undeserved pension trumps former players' opinions. 

The dysfunction is amazing to watch.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

At every other FBS university in Texas this would matter. Sadly, at UNT making sure the Hattiesburg Hustler gets an undeserved pension trumps former players' opinions. 

The dysfunction is amazing to watch.

I wish I could tell you some stories about how badly the athletic department has run off the Letterman and a lot of money that would have been donated. I know the anti RV rhetoric is abundant but he really has lead the charge in chasing off Letterman. It's a conversation I hear pretty often.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I wish I could tell you some stories about how badly the athletic department has run off the Letterman and a lot of money that would have been donated. I know the anti RV rhetoric is abundant but he really has lead the charge in chasing off Letterman. It's a conversation I hear pretty often.

As do I from some lettermen I know. Only at UNT would this be allowed to occur. 

You had, what, a little over 20 lettermen show for the lettermen's golf tournament last year or the year before? And everyone was griping about the AD? 

The hustler always divides to conquer. If only he was a good of an AD as a hustler. Then again, UNT is the world's easiest victim.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

As do I from some lettermen I know. Only at UNT would this be allowed to occur. 

You had, what, a little over 20 lettermen show for the lettermen's golf tournament last year or the year before? And everyone was griping about the AD? 

The hustler always divides to conquer. If only he was a good of an AD as a hustler. Then again, UNT is the world's easiest victim.

Actually none of my friends went to the golf tournament and no one went to Homecoming. I get together with several guys throughout the year and everyone complains about zero events and when they do its not welcoming at all. So, everyone meets somewhere other than at UNT. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Actually none of my friends went to the golf tournament and no one went to Homecoming. I get together with several guys throughout the year and everyone complains about zero events and when they do its not welcoming at all. So, everyone meets somewhere other than at UNT. 

Not surprising. No plan for the future, just a shuck and jive routine to keep a paycheck. It's extremely disappointing that guys who actually gave their sweat, blood, and bodies for this program are treated this way by a guy that gives 5 times as much to Southern Miss athletics than he does to UNT. 

The Hattiesburg Hustler's priorities should be clear to everyone by his actions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, UNTexas said:

when they do its not welcoming at all. So, everyone meets somewhere other than at UNT. 

I'm gonna give you points on this one.  Not welcoming is pretty accurate.  I don't think anybody is asking for hummers in the parking lot, but I know I've run in to the feeling that they are doing me a grudging favor flavored with liberal amounts of disdain in exchange for my money.  

The only real talk I ever get is when the student athletes call, start reading from the script, then I'll cut them off and just talk to them for a few minutes.  

What I try to remind myself of on a constant basis is that it is ultimately about the kids, and the kids I've spoken to are genuinely appreciative for the opportunities they've received.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2