MGB: Did SMU take a very subtle shot at UNT this week?

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Indeed.

More to Emmitt's point above, UNT fans showed up to Ford last year even though our team was not very good the prior year.  SMU doesn't travel anywhere... they can't even travel a decent chunk of fans to Denton.   I believe it's because they are not a winner, and the fan "demographic" at SMU simply cannot be associated with a loser.  If SMU were 10-2 last season, I think you would see Apogee split 50-50... If not more red than green.

I disagree on the split, provided we get "normal" early season attendance and not like what we saw late last season. I just don't think SMU has enough fans to split it 50-50 on the road.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I disagree on the split, provided we get "normal" early season attendance and not like what we saw late last season. I just don't think SMU has enough fans to split it 50-50 on the road.

Did you see Moody when they were losing in 2012?    Have you seen Moody lately?    SMU fans like when they win.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I get the winner thing, but what's our normal early season crowd (and nearly all of them are in green), 20-22k?

Last time they came to town, I saw alot of them on the home side.   I think if they were 10-2, you'd see their allotment full and quite a few on the home side and our first sellout with alot of red/blue in the wing and mixed in on the home side, IMO. 

Instead, we'll have a normal early-season turnout (bigger than normal, you're right) with not many SMU fans.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Last time they came to town, I saw alot of them on the home side.   I think if they were 10-2, you'd see their allotment full and quite a few on the home side and our first sellout with alot of red/blue in the wing and mixed in on the home side, IMO. 

Instead, we'll have a normal early-season turnout (bigger than normal, you're right) with not many SMU fans.

Your are high.

SMU bought maybe 300 fans in 2014. They will bring less this year.

Because UNT is their Butt Cookman.

Maybe 18k for the opener, if UNT is lucky.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Your are high.

SMU bought maybe 300 fans in 2014. They will bring less this year.

Because UNT is their Butt Cookman.

Maybe 18k for the opener, if UNT is lucky.

Given it's the 1st game, If the game starts at a reasonable time of day (6pm or hopefully later), and we have maybe 18K show up, then I'll start to believe you are right that everyone has given up on the program.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Given it's the 1st game, If the game starts at a reasonable time of day (6pm or hopefully later), and we have maybe 18K show up, then I'll start to believe you are right that everyone has given up on the program.

Keep an eye on the alumni side...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

hey @TheTastyGreek, can we get one of those pick-the-date betting pools up and running like we had for Benford's firing...but this time around we see if we can't exactly pin down the date 90 whittles his rep-points all the way back down to zero? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I just want to know who among us is going to break out the crystal chandelier and ceiling fan for their tailgate fan like I saw on The Boulevard™ last year.

I also want to know which sorority girls we can recruit to nonchalantly stroll about campus while chatting about which of the fraternities is, and I quote, "less rapey."

But first and foremost, I'd like to know which recent male graduate will take up the cross of stumbling over to the SMU sections, beer in hand, spilling hither and thither, and saying to any and all SMU coeds, "You're too pretty to go to SMU.  Wanna meet me at Fry Street after the game to do something about that?"

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Two years ago they brought maybe 200 to Apogee.  Two sat in front of me on the alumni side, sat on their hands and never said a word.

They got massacred.   What would you expect them to say?    If Morris is who they hope he is, and he turns them into a winner, it will be much, much different, I promise.

You're an older guy right?    What was their attendance/bandwagon like during the Pony Express days?   This is an honest question.

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

hey @TheTastyGreek, can we get one of those pick-the-date betting pools up and running like we had for Benford's firing...but this time around we see if we can't exactly pin down the date 90 whittles his rep-points all the way back down to zero? 

Kisses honey. I know you missed me. If you care about points on the Internet, you really need to get a life.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They got massacred.   What would you expect them to say?    If Morris is who they hope he is, and he turns them into a winner, it will be much, much different, I promise.

You're an older guy right?    What was their attendance/bandwagon like during the Pony Express days?   This is an honest question.

Kind of like what you are seeing with SMU basketball right now. They played home games at Texas Stadium but couldn't fill it, as I recall. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would guess that drew around 25,000 at home during the height of their cheating success.  We always seemed to play them in Texas Stadium in front of large crowds that were about 50/50.

Actually, in 1982, the year they were rank 1 or 2 they averaged 42,000 or so at Texas Stadium understanding that the two largest attended were 50,000 vs. A&M and 60,000 vs. #9 ranked Arkansas.  Both of these teams probably were responsible for half of the tickets sold. Outside of this, I would guess my early estimate was about right.

FYI, they were ranked #7 at the time we played them and the game drew a little over 30,000.  They won 38-10.  I was there and we were responsible for at least half of the attendance.

Edited by UNTLifer

On May 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM, oldguystudent said:

I just want to know who among us is going to break out the crystal chandelier and ceiling fan for their tailgate fan like I saw on The Boulevard™ last year.

I also want to know which sorority girls we can recruit to nonchalantly stroll about campus while chatting about which of the fraternities is, and I quote, "less rapey."

But first and foremost, I'd like to know which recent male graduate will take up the cross of stumbling over to the SMU sections, beer in hand, spilling hither and thither, and saying to any and all SMU coeds, "You're too pretty to go to SMU.  Wanna meet me at Fry Street after the game to do something about that?"

Sadly I'll still be in Japan for this game, otherwise I'd be all over this all important task. 

• Upvote 1