MGB: Did SMU take a very subtle shot at UNT this week?

Brett Vito

Not sure why anyone thinks NT doesn't register with SMU.  I guess you believe their message board.  NT seemed to register when they fired Jones.  

They are one and one in the current series and should have lost last years game at SMU.  Yes they expire to better things than beating NT, but a loss would be a major setback for their program.  

The truth is that neither SMU or NT are major players in football at the current time and maybe no one outside the two schools cares who wins, but this is a very important first game for both programs.  Frankly a loss by SMU would be far more damaging than a NT loss because they are on year 2 of their rebuilt and NT is just starting theirs.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why anyone thinks NT doesn't register with SMU.  I guess you believe their message board.  NT seemed to register when they fired Jones.  

They are one and one in the current series and should have lost last years game at SMU.  Yes they expire to better things than beating NT, but a loss would be a major setback for their program.  

The truth is that neither SMU or NT are major players in football at the current time and maybe no one outside the two schools cares who wins, but this is a very important first game for both programs.  Frankly a loss by SMU would be far more damaging than a NT loss because they are on year 2 of their rebuilt and NT is just starting theirs.  

So Portland St registerers with UNT fans?

That is the way SMU as a whole views UNT football. And appropriately so. Don't kid yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

It must be nice to have all the answers, although most make absolutely no sense.   

Great comeback?...

explain to all of us the difference between UNT beating SMU and Portland St beating UNT. Please. 

Because there really isn't any. You would like to think there is. Sorry to dissappoint you. SMU views UNT as a FCS program, mainly because that's the way UNT athletics has been ran and administrated. Like it. Don't like it. Doesn't stop it from being the absolute truth, and anyone that's been a fan longer than 3 years knows it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Great comeback?...

explain to all of us the difference between UNT beating SMU and Portland St beating UNT. Please. 

Because there really isn't any. You would like to think there is. Sorry to dissappoint you. SMU views UNT as a FCS program, mainly because that's the way UNT athletics has been ran and administrated. Like it. Don't like it. Doesn't stop it from being the absolute truth, and anyone that's been a fan longer than 3 years knows it.

And what do the differences between UNT and SMU and Portland State & UNT have to do with the topic?

Been a fan a lot longer than 3 years and certainly not a fan of the current administration, but don't see how that is relevant to the topic either. 

I really could not care less what SMU thinks of NT or you for that matter, but it does get a little tedious to have any comment about any subject turned to your personal agenda.   Which you pretend is a crusade against the current administration; but IMO is more about you getting more internet attention.   

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

And what do the differences between UNT and SMU and Portland State & UNT have to do with the topic?

Been a fan a lot longer than 3 years and certainly not a fan of the current administration, but don't see how that is relevant to the topic either. 

I really could not care less what SMU thinks of NT or you for that matter, but it does get a little tedious to have any comment about any subject turned to your personal agenda.   Which you pretend is a crusade against the current administration; but IMO is more about you getting more internet attention.   

You saying SMU cares about UNT is inaccurate. They will bail on this series at the four year mark.

Watch. 

They are in a better conference and are 2 years ahead of UNT in developing their program. Because UNT is starting from the very bottom. Again. 

They have never cared about UNT and never will. UNT is an afterthought to any other FBS program in Texas. Many fans of those programs think UNT is a FCS program. 

There is a reason for that, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

You saying SMU cares about UNT is inaccurate. They will bail on this series at the four year mark.

Watch. 

They are in a better conference and are 2 years ahead of UNT in developing their program. Because UNT is starting from the very bottom. Again. 

They have never cared about UNT and never will. UNT is an afterthought to any other FBS program in Texas. Many fans of those programs think UNT is a FCS program. 

There is a reason for that, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. 

I give, obviously SMU doesn't care about their first game this year.  I wonder if they will even bother to show up.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I give, obviously SMU doesn't care about their first game this year.  I wonder if they will even bother to show up.  

They care no more about it than any other first game of any other year. There is no special meaning because they are playing UNT.

Thats what you implied and that isn't true.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

They care no more about it than any other first game of any other year. There is no special meaning because they are playing UNT.

Thats what you implied and that isn't true.

Great to be back in a third grade debate.  I implied it was an important game to both teams.  Special meaning is because it is a regional game and the first game of the season.  It is obviously not a conference game or a game against a big time opponent for either team.   I have no doubt SMU had really rather beat oc opponents Baylor or TCU.  However a loss to NT will hurt their program far more than those two.  

I can't wait for your misinterpretation of this. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Great to be back in a third grade debate.  I implied it was an important game to both teams.  Special meaning is because it is a regional game and the first game of the season.  It is obviously not a conference game or a game against a big time opponent for either team.   I have no doubt SMU had really rather beat oc opponents Baylor or TCU.  However a loss to NT will hurt their program far more than those two.  

I can't wait for your misinterpretation of this. 

I think people can make their own determination of your meaning based on the context of this thread. 

• Downvote 10

43 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think people can make their own determination of your meaning based on the context of this thread. 

The game is important to smut. The comments from a lot of their fans at Ford last season tells that tale. Their smug selves will come on here in late August and say otherwise, but they'll be coming to this board to troll and yhat just soldifies it more. They care. We care. It's a rivalry. And you know it. 

• Upvote 2

Whether or not they admit it, it is a game with regional implications. It's pretty much a must win on both ends-credibility gained/lost within the metroplex. The superiority complex won't allow them to say it's a rivalry, but they will show up, shit will be talked and feelings will be hurt. And it will carryover throughout the rest of the year. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

Whether or not they admit it, it is a game with regional implications. It's pretty much a must win on both ends-credibility gained/lost within the metroplex. The superiority complex won't allow them to say it's a rivalry, but they will show up, shit will be talked and feelings will be hurt. And it will carryover throughout the rest of the year. 

The 200 SMU fans in attendance at a game 30 miles from their own  campus will show you they don't care and, quite frankly, never will.

• Downvote 9