'17 QB Jason Shelley (Lone Star)

TheReal_jayD

Shelley may be a reach. Clemson offered as a sophomore. SMU came in and offered late last year. Believe. This kid has a laser cannon. His big knock is he uses the same move to escape pressure and according to one of my coaching buddies, didn't think he had the juice (what we refer to as the burst players have) to be big time d1. Clemson thought otherwise and good for the kid. I really hope he comes to North Texas. Coaching against him the last two years was a nightmare. He is patient and will beat you with his arm or legs depending on what you do. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MEEN2018 said:

Good thing is he has a coach who went to North Texas and made it onto an NFL team (Brandon Jackson) so hopefully he helps sell the kid on going here. Still likely a long shot but you never know! Definitely feel like this isn't going to be the same ol' UNT with Littrell at the helm.

I was doing some digging among coaches, his offer from Clemson was Morris led, once Morris left for SMU that offer could be off the table.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I was doing some digging among coaches, his offer from Clemson was Morris led, once Morris left for SMU that offer could be off the table.  

They also already gave two 2017 QB commits, including flipping Hunter Johnson (top QB in the country per rivals) from Tennessee not that long ago. We don't have to worry about Clemson here unless drastic changes happen.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

They also already gave two 2017 QB commits, including flipping Hunter Johnson (top QB in the country per rivals) from Tennessee not that long ago. We don't have to worry about Clemson here unless drastic changes happen.

Good info, I hadnt had time to look yet today. So it appears it is us, smu, and new mexico.  I like our chances.  This kid really can make every throw. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

I haven't been around long, but here is a Question for the recuiting guys.. These QBs that we have offered to and gone to bigger schools like Utah, Iowa, A&M, Norte Dame.. Did we ever have a real chance at them, or was the tweeting out just a way to say hey I got another offer or something? 

Last question, does it seem as if we have moved up/had more interest by QBs with GH and SL? I know QBs like those name and could be waiting to see the offense produce. 

57 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I haven't been around long, but here is a Question for the recuiting guys.. These QBs that we have offered to and gone to bigger schools like Utah, Iowa, A&M, Norte Dame.. Did we ever have a real chance at them, or was the tweeting out just a way to say hey I got another offer or something? 

Last question, does it seem as if we have moved up/had more interest by QBs with GH and SL? I know QBs like those name and could be waiting to see the offense produce. 

I don't think we ever had a realistic shot. Yes, these players will tweet out a UNT offer and that alone does not guarantee that they'll spend another minute thinking about us throughout their recruiting process.

For whether or not we have had more QB interest with our current coaches, I haven't seen any actual substance that suggests this is the case. They've landed two high school QB commits so far. One had no other FBS offers, and the second had one other FBS offer from Wyoming. 

And I don't know how highly HS QBs actually feel about Littrell and Harrell. I've said things along this line plenty before, but let's put things in perspective. When you (you, collective) were heading into your senior year of high school, could you name who the offensive coordinator at North Carolina was the year before, or who was the leading passer in the NCAA when you were in fourth grade? Because that's who Littrell and Harrell were for these current high school seniors.

Littrell and Harrell have a chance to land some quality QBs here, and put up some big-time numbers, but it's going to take a lot more than just the system they run or the clout their names bring. If that is the case, I just hope they realize it soon, unlike our last coach who thought high school players actually knew who he was before we would start recruiting them.

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You are just all full of good news lately lol

I need some good news to happen