Campus carry policy under review, restrictions pending

10 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Considering that driving is not a God given and constitutionally protected right that makes perfect sense.

Also, it's not like guns aren't already heavily regulated in the country...

from him? 

jesus-gun_zps4ekbxcns.jpg

and to be clear...I'm not the one continually making the terrible analogy between cars and guns...simply pointing out the total falling down in logic if one takes the argument even one step beyond "they're both dangerous and can kill people". 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree, too many accidents by careless people just in the DFW area alone...just in the past 48 hours...

Rick

The Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding cities are up to, if not already passed, 7 million people. When you have that many people (and their cars) on the roads you're gonna have accidents, some of them serious.  If you don't like it, move somewhere smaller.  I'd bet New York proper with its 8 million souls has a similar number of car wrecks.

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding cities are up to, if not already passed, 7 million people. When you have that many people (and their cars) on the roads you're gonna have accidents, some of them serious.  If you don't like it, move somewhere smaller.  I'd bet New York proper with its 8 million souls has a similar number of car wrecks.

7 million of which no telling how many also own guns.  Yet accidental shootings dont occur as nearly as often as (the auto accidents ) or as 66 would have you believe they do.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

7 million of which no telling how many also own guns.  Yet accidental shootings dont occur as nearly as often as (the auto accidents ) or as 66 would have you believe they do.

Rick

Auto accidents tend to not make the news as often as gun shootings. Relying on press clipping to prove a point in an apples to oranges comparison is a wasted effort.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

I bet they do because they happen so often.  Every morning drive report is full of them.

Rick

I don't listen to terrestrial radio because I hate commercials, so therefore I don't hear constant reports of stalled vehicles along side roadways.  I bet if I went to any of the three major newspapers, there might be one or two stories total about an auto accident. I'll bet the only reason there might be an article is because it involved one or more fatalities or because it wrecked traffic along a major thoroughfare for much of the day. Finally, I work from home and so I don't have the pleasure of getting out there with all the other Dallas-ites and stress out over getting cut-off by some idiot in an SUV who's cutting across a minimum of three lanes to make an exit driving 70 miles an hour.

36 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I don't listen to terrestrial radio because I hate commercials, so therefore I don't hear constant reports of stalled vehicles along side roadways.  I bet if I went to any of the three major newspapers, there might be one or two stories total about an auto accident. I'll bet the only reason there might be an article is because it involved one or more fatalities or because it wrecked traffic along a major thoroughfare for much of the day. Finally, I work from home and so I don't have the pleasure of getting out there with all the other Dallas-ites and stress out over getting cut-off by some idiot in an SUV who's cutting across a minimum of three lanes to make an exit driving 70 miles an hour.

Very nice.  Your lucky.

And since dealing with GSW's and auto wrecks are part of my job, I don't believe I've made an accidental gun shooting in 15 years?  Maybe longer?  They do happen, they just don't happen very often.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Very nice.  Your lucky.

And since dealing with GSW's and auto wrecks are part of my job, I don't believe I've made an accidental gun shooting in 15 years?  Maybe longer?  They do happen, they just don't happen very often.

Rick

According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, of the 73,883 non-fatal firearms injuries in 2011, 14,675 (19.86%) were unintentional. 

Of course, in actuality, there are no accidental shootings, only negligent ones. 

Edited by adman

21 minutes ago, adman said:

According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, of the 73,883 non-fatal firearms injuries in 2011, 14,675 (19.86%) were unintentional. 

Of course, in actuality, there are no accidental shootings, only negligent ones.

Agree.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Maybe on topic, maybe off topic.  Just an observation on perceptions that people have.  

A couple days ago, one of the partners brought me a box full of client data.  The client had taped the shit out of the box, so naturally I pulled out my pocket knife with its monstrous two inch blade (I just measured it to verify) to cut through the tape and get the box open.

The reaction was nearly as if I were going to shoot up the office, grow a beard, and publish my manifesto.

So I guess what I'm getting at, particularly in this new era of open carry (of which I've still yet to witness), is how do you implement things like campus carry without scaring the bejesus out of people and possibly causing a horribly adverse reaction in an era where using the wrong word brings faculty terminations and campus protests?

• Upvote 1

On March 11, 2016 at 7:59 AM, oldguystudent said:

an era where using the wrong word brings faculty terminations and campus protests?

That depends on the political slant of the "wrong words" and which faculty member and, most importantly, which university, you are talking about.

At UNT? Not so much: 

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-college-dean-says-she-was-stopped-for-6598468.php

Lie without consequences. I mean, she isn't the first member of UNT staff to do it...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

That depends on the political slant of the "wrong words" and which faculty member and, most importantly, which university, you are talking about.

At UNT? Not so much: 

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-college-dean-says-she-was-stopped-for-6598468.php

Lie without consequences. I mean, she isn't the first member of UNT staff to do it...

Huh.  Forgot about her.  I thought she faced some consequences.  Apparently not.

Just a couple quick hits from my short Spring Break travels with the family.

I was never frustrated driving to NM and back until I got back around Decatur on 287. Damn, these 7 million people can't drive. I blame TxDOT for some of the troubles too though. I'm positive you have to deal with a lot FFR.

Open Carry is alive and well in Canyon, TX...our server at the local café was enjoying his freedom to do so.

On March 14, 2016 at 8:04 AM, oldguystudent said:

I march to my own drummer of order, buddy.

Actually, your order is smarter if you are planning on surviving that action. You would have plenty of time to write and wouldn't have to worry about a razor if you were incarcerated.

So, your plan is... better?

• Upvote 1

jesus-gun_zps4ekbxcns.jpg

On 3/11/2016 at 10:24 PM, adman said:

The picture above is a good example of adman's quote. That there is a negligent discharge just fixin' to happen!

Under the influence, finger inside the trigger guard, God knows what else! He needs a gun safety course.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

Cars vs guns comparison is crazy .... How many hours are spent driving by the total population .... how many hours are spent carrying guns by the total population.... I saw a few 1000 cars today and  no guns although a few may have had a concealed one... No comparison of the two makes much sense. ... and transportation  is absolutely necessary to live in this modern world.... the other isn't for most people and a lot less time is spent with one. [ not anti-gun... shot a few rounds this weekend (ranchland)... just oppose carrying one everywhere and having ones that shoot 15 shots in 15 sec.  ... you might need one if you are drug dealer though.  ] 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On March 17, 2016 at 10:58 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Cars vs guns comparison is crazy .... How many hours are spent driving by the total population .... how many hours are spent carrying guns by the total population.... I saw a few 1000 cars today and  no guns although a few may have had a concealed one... No comparison of the two makes much sense. ... and transportation  is absolutely necessary to live in this modern world.... the other isn't for most people and a lot less time is spent with one. [ not anti-gun... shot a few rounds this weekend (ranchland)... just oppose carrying one everywhere and having ones that shoot 15 shots in 15 sec.  ... you might need one if you are drug dealer though.  ] 

What you are saying is that if people don't think the way you do, you oppose their rights to such thoughts.

I think I saw you on an Arizona highway yesterday.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still surprised I haven't seen anybody open carry since the law went in to effect.

In fun news, I was working on this guy's tax returns.  He's too rich and too busy to bother opening his own mail.

So included in his "Tax Documents" was an envelope from what issuing agency containing his shiny new CHL.  I had to call him and let him know.  "Oh yeah.  I did get that.  Can you just mail it out to me?"

I'll lay odds that I mail it out to him, he finds himself too rich and too busy to open it, and he sends it right back to me as "tax documents"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm still surprised I haven't seen anybody open carry since the law went in to effect.

In fun news, I was working on this guy's tax returns.  He's too rich and too busy to bother opening his own mail.

So included in his "Tax Documents" was an envelope from what issuing agency containing his shiny new CHL.  I had to call him and let him know.  "Oh yeah.  I did get that.  Can you just mail it out to me?"

I'll lay odds that I mail it out to him, he finds himself too rich and too busy to open it, and he sends it right back to me as "tax documents"

Some people treat those envelopes like Ralphie from A Christmas Story, but this guy is an obvious exception.

• 1 month later...

Although what this Dallas HS kid was illegal ... what he did is what I fear will happen in college classrooms... He illegally had a gun but dropped it or somehow managed to shoot himself. It is a wonder it did not hit someone else and seriously injure or kill them.... Too many people have no business carrying a gun.. too careless and don't respect how dangerous they can be. .  [ I'm not anti-gun in general ] More people will be killed by carelessness and drunks/druggies on campus than saved..... Can anyone name an incident in Texas in the past few years in which a student would have saved lives if he had had a gun..??

• Downvote 2