Campus carry policy under review, restrictions pending

44 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

find where I've said "ban guns"

Come on...we know all you yankee hippies hate guns and think everyone who owns one is a Nazi...'cause if we ban gun only the  non-hippies would have guns!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

find where I've said "ban guns"

Easy, big guy. I was agreeing with your heart attack post and pointing out the same thing could be said for automobiles. Or snow skis, Or ATVs. Or souped up redneck law mowers (I've seen the videos. They are kinda cool, though)..

Many machines can kill. A gun is but one. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well UNT 90 .. you are still doing it .....misrepresenting what i believe..  ... no ....Democrat debt is not fine with me...  but also note the Congress is controlled by the GOP plus when did the insane debt climb start, 2002, pre-Obama and has not stopped since since then. .... The (GOP Congress) is passing nothing to lower it.   Yes I am fairly liberal on some issues and conservative on others.... especially debt.  Quit putting words into my mouth. State what you believe and quit claiming I say or believe things that I don't. ... BE HONEST. 

**not anti-gun either as you claim...I own several..  just don't want everyone carrying one everywhere.  [ you want very LIBERAL gun laws ]  Seen personally too many accidents and crazy actions. .. Have been shot at couple of times by idiots [ one a cop who thought I might be a burgher (was an employee)  and one time by a careless hunter ] Even had a student bring a loaded gun to school after I got him suspended the day before... likely it was for me or the vice-principal that tossed him out. . . I also had a friend drop one and she died when it fired. 

Like i said ... you always come after me every time I post... This is another.  You apparently stay on this site constantly .. do you actually work any.?? 

Profanity ... yes you did .. not a lot but you did some... one was very personal. . 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Well UNT 90 .. you are still doing it .....misrepresenting what i believe..  ... no ....Democrat debt is not fine with me...  but also note the Congress is controlled by the GOP plus when did the insane debt climb start, 2002, pre-Obama and has not stopped since since then. .... The (GOP Congress) is passing nothing to lower it.   Yes I am fairly liberal on some issues and conservative on others.... especially debt.  Quit putting words into my mouth. State what you believe and quit claiming I say or believe things that I don't. ... BE HONEST. 

**not anti-gun either as you claim...I own several..  just don't want everyone carrying one everywhere.  [ you want very LIBERAL gun laws ]  Seen personally too many accidents and crazy actions. .. Have been shot at couple of times by idiots [ one a cop who thought I might be a burgher (was an employee)  and one time by a careless hunter ] Even had a student bring a loaded gun to school after I got him suspended the day before... likely it was for me or the vice-principal that tossed him out. . . I also had a friend drop one and she died when it fired. 

Like i said ... you always come after me every time I post... This is another.  You apparently stay on this site constantly .. do you actually work any.?? 

Profanity ... yes you did .. not a lot but you did some... one was very personal. . 

Everyone should notice a couple of things about this post. 

First, 66 completely ignores the HUGE amount of spending that occurred in Pres. Obama's first 2 years of his first term, when the democrats had a supermajority in congress. The same congress that gave us the most expensive entitlement program/tax increase in history, Obamacare, which has actually inflated the cost of health care. Big surprise. 66 conveniently goes right past that. He is a political hipocrite. He will tell you how against debt he is, yet completely ignore democrat generated debt. He will roast Reagan, yet completely ignore the democrat congress Reagan had to deal with, while at the same time citing the Republican Congress as being at fault for Obama spending.

I have no doubt 66 would be fine if the State of Texas went in debt as long as all of that money was pumped into the edication system. You know, cause throwing money at that problem has worked soooo well.

Pure political hipocrite, and the worst kind. One that tries to present himself as some kind of moderate while following democrat party talking points verbatim. That's why I have little patience with his political "views."

And what does he do when I point this out? He gets personal, demonstrated by his comments above. It's straight out of the liberal playbook. They can't win an argument on facts, so they name call and villify their opponent. 

Produce the post where I attacked you with profanity. And if y'all will notice, it's now gone from "profanity laced rant" to not a lot of profanity which was "very personal."

You mean like accusing someone of not working personal?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

You guys want to play a game where I call my exes, argue with them for awhile about what went wrong, and then post the transcripts with notes?

CAN YOU BELIEVE MEGAN DID THIS? TRISHA IS A WHORE. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT KAREN SAID AT THE 2:54 MARK.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Quoner said:

You guys want to play a game where I call my exes, argue with them for awhile about what went wrong, and then post the transcripts with notes?

CAN YOU BELIEVE MEGAN DID THIS? TRISHA IS A WHORE. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT KAREN SAID AT THE 2:54 MARK.

The Quoner love life history on display? Now this is a game I can get behind...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really want to know the answer to this.  I own this knife:

sp1-marine-combat-8300.jpg

In such a gun friendly state, why is this knife, per Texas penal code, an "illegal knife?"  Why can't I carry it anywhere other than in my vehicle, out of reach, and in transport to some activity such as hunting in which I have a defined non-criminal use for it?

36 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

In such a gun friendly state, why is this knife, per Texas penal code, an "illegal knife?"  Why can't I carry it anywhere other than in my vehicle, out of reach, and in transport to some activity such as hunting in which I have a defined non-criminal use for it?

Because you can't protect yourself from all those dangerous non-white people with a knife...?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Just like you, bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

VERY nice knife. I really didn't know it was illegal, I'll have to research the Penal Code lest I transgress inadvertently because I have one too (but not as good as that one). I view a knife as a useful tool but I wouldn't carry that for self-defense unless that's all I had. The reason is twofold: 1. like forevereagle I wouldn't take a knife to a gunfight and 2. I'm too damned old to go mano a mano with a knife.

19 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

VERY nice knife. I really didn't know it was illegal, I'll have to research the Penal Code lest I transgress inadvertently because I have one too (but not as good as that one). I view a knife as a useful tool but I wouldn't carry that for self-defense unless that's all I had. The reason is twofold: 1. like forevereagle I wouldn't take a knife to a gunfight and 2. I'm too damned old to go mano a mano with a knife.

Texas Penal Code 46.01(6):

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

However, as of 2015, locking blade knives, switchblades, and butterfly knives are legal to carry.  I'm stuck on finding that code though.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Texas Penal Code 46.01(6):

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

However, as of 2015, locking blade knives, switchblades, and butterfly knives are legal to carry.  I'm stuck on finding that code though.

Dang...every Boy Scout in Texas is carrying an illegal knife it seems.  Ha!  So, every hunting knife over 51/2" in length is illegal?  Who is going around measuring a guy's personal "knife"?  

On January 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM, oldguystudent said:

Ever play knifey spoony?  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Thanks for posting these links. Let me say first that "you can't fix stupid". In all of them, there are educational issues with the user. A weapon should not just come out of a holster with proper retention. A woman should not carry a pistol loose in her purse; she didn't have a proper carry purse. As noted in the last link, an appropriate carry weapon will not fire when dropped. I myself dropped my carry weapon on the concrete in my garage a couple of months ago without incident; the reason is that I purposely purchased and carry a weapon that is drop-proof. And when holstered in a proper holster it will not fall out. In my case, the weapon was not on my person but stashed in my car and I fumbled it when I retrieved it from its hiding place. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am more careful when executing that maneuver. Your post illustrates why people need to pay attention to proper carry weapons, proper gear, and to be careful how they handle the weapon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On January 29, 2016 at 9:35 AM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I am a college grad.... I did not come here (or post ) to be make fun of .. called unAmerican ... be misrepresented ...be called names etc. 

No one called you unamerican. You are a political hypocrite, and demonstrate such in your own inconsistent posts.

Don't present yourself as something you are not.

And stop with the dramatic woe is me crap.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Thanks for posting these links. Let me say first that "you can't fix stupid". In all of them, there are educational issues with the user. A weapon should not just come out of a holster with proper retention. A woman should not carry a pistol loose in her purse; she didn't have a proper carry purse. As noted in the last link, an appropriate carry weapon will not fire when dropped. I myself dropped my carry weapon on the concrete in my garage a couple of months ago without incident; the reason is that I purposely purchased and carry a weapon that is drop-proof. And when holstered in a proper holster it will not fall out. In my case, the weapon was not on my person but stashed in my car and I fumbled it when I retrieved it from its hiding place. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am more careful when executing that maneuver. Your post illustrates why people need to pay attention to proper carry weapons, proper gear, and to be careful how they handle the weapon.

My ENTIRE point was not everyone is careful .... I don't doubt most are ... but there are those aren't....  and that is teh problem.... I stiil think more will be shot or die that would be saved by carrying guns on campus..... Unlike what "some" try to portray me .. I am not anti-gun.. just want people carrying them everywhere especially on a college campus.

________

UNT90.. you are right I should not have said you have called me unAmerican .. but I should have said unpatriotic... You have slammed me for not supporting Iraq and claiming I did not support our military... well I do ... I don't want them killed or permanently injured in a war or conflict that makes no sense.  Surely you know that administration had access the ridiculous capabilities from satellites and other sources (sons have worked for companies that contributed to spy satellite construction) ...none of Europe believed they had nukes (and did not help USA  much because of that) and even our own CIA did not really believe it either. ..Congress believed the Administration knew what they were doing [Cheney on video said he KNEW where they were] and they have access to more info that is publicly stated or Congress has and then they agreed to it..  I don't care what political party they were .... it was awful ... and I think about it every time I see a "Wounded Warrior" ad with blind and/or disabled veterans... That administration caused a lot of them  for NO reason and no gain.... plus they  screwed up the Middle East even more than it was. ( now we have ISIS ) No terrorist act to USA or Europe came from Iraq prior to then.. [name one]   It was a terrible mistake.  Toss in the terrible economy(and national debt)  as of late 2008 which lasted a while  .. and no I am no fan of that administration...  I am sure you will attack me again for this ... you always do. 

• Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

My ENTIRE point was not everyone is careful .... I don't doubt most are ... but there are those aren't....  and that is teh problem.... I stiil think more will be shot or die that would be saved by carrying guns on campus..... Unlike what "some" try to portray me .. I am not anti-gun.. just want people carrying them everywhere especially on a college campus.

________

UNT90.. you are right I should not have said you have called me unAmerican .. but I should have said unpatriotic... You have slammed me for not supporting Iraq and claiming I did not support our military... well I do ... I don't want them killed or permanently injured in a war or conflict that makes no sense.  Surely you know that administration had access the ridiculous capabilities from satellites and other sources (sons have worked for companies that contributed to spy satellite construction) ...none of Europe believed they had nukes (and did not help USA  much because of that) and even our own CIA did not really believe it either. ..Congress believed the Administration knew what they were doing [Cheney on video said he KNEW where they were] and they have access to more info that is publicly stated or Congress has and then they agreed to it..  I don't care what political party they were .... it was awful ... and I think about it every time I see a "Wounded Warrior" ad with blind and/or disabled veterans... That administration caused a lot of them  for NO reason and no gain.... plus they  screwed up the Middle East even more than it was. ( now we have ISIS ) No terrorist act to USA or Europe came from Iraq prior to then.. [name one]   It was a terrible mistake.  Toss in the terrible economy(and national debt)  as of late 2008 which lasted a while  .. and no I am no fan of that administration...  I am sure you will attack me again for this ... you always do. 

So now I didn't call you unamerican? 

But now you say I called you unpatriotic? I didn't. Again, show me where I did. You can't. 

You sure do make a lot of accusations that are untrue. 

If you get your feelings hurt in political discussions, don't have them. If you can't take someone reasonably challenging your positions, maybe you should hang out in some liberal dominated forum where everyone will pat you on the back and tell you how smart you are. 

What terrifies me is you are an educator who appears to have little tolerance for opposing opinions. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

We agree that not everyone is careful...education is the answer. As for carrying on a college campus, first you must be age 21; that limits the universe right there. Second, you must jump all the hurdles placed in your path (fingerprints, background check, promulgated training, etc.) which is not cheap. A proper carry weapon will also consume $400 to $1,000, depending on how you have it "pimped" (ex: Glock 19 with internal guiderod laser and tritium/fiber optic sights will run close to $1,000). After the hardware, you need to buy a holster designed to secure the specific weapon in the location on your body you want to carry, with proper retention. I have faith that a UNT student meeting the above criteria can safely carry on campus for self protection. Another thought here...suppose that young person is just getting started on a degree after a deployment or two in Afghanistan. Having met all the criteria, should he/she be denied his/her Constitutional right?

We are not that different in our thinking, really.

Let me add that the knowledge that you are carrying a weapon which is sometimes pointed toward the family jewels makes you VERY careful.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

Not everyone is a careful driver, yet we let 16 year olds operate a very deadly mechanical weapon responsible for far more deaths than handguns every year.

But some people are perfectly ok with that because they don't have a political agenda against automobiles.