Did Mac leave us bigger?

Wag Tag

I think when he took over for Dodge, Mac looked at the linemen that were here and thought it was the smallest and slowest he'd ever seen--which was true only because he had only coached at Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, South Florida, and Florida, places with abundantly more talent than we ever had.

McCarney knew that he could motivate that bunch into getting bigger and faster, just with a decent approach to coaching them in S&C and in practice. And that's what he did, culminating in 2013's great season and HoD Bowl win. But he couldn't recruit better talented guys to come here, which eventually drove him crazy. Why? Its everyone's guess, but he just couldn't get it done.

When you go 1-11, with almost no talent on the defense, its not hard to think he left us in worse shape than we he got here. Maybe Littrell and company can fix that, but I don't see that happening this year. He's gotta clear out the quitters and the neer-do-wells on the roster, of which there are currently plenty, as well as just a general lack of talent at QB behind what he is bringing in from Bama. All I want to see outta this team in 2016 is that they try harder than they did in 2015 for Mac and Chico--IOW, don't freaking quit. Win only one game, win three games, whatever, just get rid of the quitters and develop an attitude in the locker room that will permeate to recruits and to the fans. That's what 2016 needs to be all about--improvement in attitude, from players buying into their coaching, and from coaches in how they convey themselves to recruits and their HS coaches. Everything else is completely secondary. Going 1-11 again will be understood and swept under the rug if you can improve on the other stuff mentioned above.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think other than Jordan Murray, we are pretty much the same on the OL.

2010 roster

2015 roster

On that note, it'll be interesting to see how the O-line adjusts to the splits and schemes of an air raid. They were recruited to play in a Power I/Wing T hybrid offense with the occasional bubble screen. Hopefully they have the footwork to keep up. 

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

On that note, it'll be interesting to see how the O-line adjusts to the splits and schemes of an air raid. They were recruited to play in a Power I/Wing T hybrid offense with the occasional bubble screen. Hopefully they have the footwork to keep up. 

Its gonna be real hard for most of the offense to fit into what Littrell likes to run, which is probably why we will see a very basic level of what he ran as the playcaller at UNC. Once he gets the right personnel here over the next few years, then the offense will really open up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Its gonna be real hard for most of the offense to fit into what Littrell likes to run, which is probably why we will see a very basic level of what he ran as the playcaller at UNC. Once he gets the right personnel here over the next few years, then the offense will really open up.

Then again you have to think the majority of those guys ran a spread in high school so maybe it'll be okay. Running backs are set. We have a lot of prototypical outside WR's with size and speed. We could easily move a few of those guys into the slot like Kidsy and Ezzard. Maybe we'll be screwed with Mac's recruits for a few years, maybe not.

• Upvote 2

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Then again you have to think the majority of those guys ran a spread in high school so maybe it'll be okay. Running backs are set. We have a lot of prototypical outside WR's with size and speed. We could easily move a few of those guys into the slot like Kidsy and Ezzard. Maybe we'll be screwed with Mac's recruits for a few years, maybe not.

They probably did run the spread, but none of the QBs on this roster have played in a spread offense at this level, nor have they shown that they can even throw decently at this level of play, including Morris, who I really think will be the starter here and will be the best QB we have seen here in years (like decades). We will see, I guess.

Just now, GOMG2013 said:

This.

And I'm sure a lot of the defensive players played in aggressive fast defenses.  

I honestly don't care if we are super aggressive. I just want a scheme that puts our corners closer than 15 yards off the ball every down and distance. 1 and 10? 15 yards off. 3 and 1? 15 yards off. 4 and 5? 15 yards off. Might be the single most infuriating thing I've seen at UNT watching offenses run a bubble screen damn near every play and get 10 yards before our corners can react.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I honestly don't care if we are super aggressive. I just want a scheme that puts our corners closer than 15 yards off the ball every down and distance. 1 and 10? 15 yards off. 3 and 1? 15 yards off. 4 and 5? 15 yards off. Might be the single most infuriating thing I've seen at UNT watching offenses run a bubble screen damn near every play and get 10 yards before our corners can react.

And then on top of that, they still get blocked on run plays and beat deep...might as well man up and get tighter and give them a fighting chance.

This is college football,  they let you get away with a few bumps and holds as long as the ball isn't thrown.  

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think when he took over for Dodge, Mac looked at the linemen that were here and thought it was the smallest and slowest he'd ever seen--which was true only because he had only coached at Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, South Florida, and Florida, places with abundantly more talent than we ever had.

McCarney knew that he could motivate that bunch into getting bigger and faster, just with a decent approach to coaching them in S&C and in practice. And that's what he did, culminating in 2013's great season and HoD Bowl win. But he couldn't recruit better talented guys to come here, which eventually drove him crazy. Why? Its everyone's guess, but he just couldn't get it done.

When you go 1-11, with almost no talent on the defense, its not hard to think he left us in worse shape than we he got here. Maybe Littrell and company can fix that, but I don't see that happening this year. He's gotta clear out the quitters and the neer-do-wells on the roster, of which there are currently plenty, as well as just a general lack of talent at QB behind what he is bringing in from Bama. All I want to see outta this team in 2016 is that they try harder than they did in 2015 for Mac and Chico--IOW, don't freaking quit. Win only one game, win three games, whatever, just get rid of the quitters and develop an attitude in the locker room that will permeate to recruits and to the fans. That's what 2016 needs to be all about--improvement in attitude, from players buying into their coaching, and from coaches in how they convey themselves to recruits and their HS coaches. Everything else is completely secondary. Going 1-11 again will be understood and swept under the rug if you can improve on the other stuff mentioned above.

Agenda much? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2