drex

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

I suspect he would love me more if I could afford to give more.  What I can give, I do.  Not to RV, but to UNT.  This is my university.  It is in large part responsible for whatever success I have enjoyed in life. 

Thank you.  My concept exactly.  Paying it forward right there with you.  To my university.  Not to any individual, but to my school, to our student-athletes, to my academic departments.  UNT is bigger than ANY individual or program.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

20 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Thank you.  My concept exactly.  Paying it forward right there with you.  To my university.  Not to any individual, but to my school, to our student-athletes, to my academic departments.  UNT is bigger than ANY individual or program.

It has a really funny way of showing it...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It has a really funny way of showing it...

Really?  If you only see UNT as a source of entertainment for your own amusement through athletics, maybe so.  But, if you are interested in the University from which you graduated as a whole, and its current and future students, then you get an entirely different perspective and realize that it isn't all about you. You can see the glass always half empty if you choose...and it is a choice..I choose to see the much bigger glass as more than half full.

Just a different perspective...explains a lot I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Really?  If you only see UNT as a source of entertainment for your own amusement through athletics, maybe so.  But, if you are interested in the University from which you graduated as a whole, and its current and future students, then you get an entirely different perspective and realize that it isn't all about you. You can see the glass always half empty if you choose...and it is a choice..I choose to see the much bigger glass as more than half full.

And force that glass down everyone's throat...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

And here I was thinking sports were for the fan's entertainment.. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

And here I was thinking sports were for the fan's entertainment.. 

And, here I was thinking fans were people with their own reasons for being fans.  Wow....radical!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

And, here I was thinking fans were people with their own reasons for being fans.  Wow....radical!

Two separate concepts. You can be a fan for whatever reason you want, usually in college sports I would think it's because you went to the school.. But the entire point of sports is to be entertaining. It is entertainment by definition. You can be a fan and still demand and hope that your sports teams entertain you. 

Now, if losing teams entertain you, then I guess I can see where you are coming from. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Two separate concepts. You can be a fan for whatever reason you want, usually in college sports I would think it's because you went to the school.. But the entire point of sports is to be entertaining. It is entertainment by definition. You can be a fan and still demand and hope that your sports teams entertain you. 

Now, if losing teams entertain you, then I guess I can see where you are coming from. 

Wow...missed the whole point, but thanks for playing.  You pretty much came in at the middle of the movie and never caught up.  Carry on....some will just never grasp the concept of paying it forward because it is the right thing to do I guess.  For those folks it is all about them and what's in it for me.  Try to focus...it isn't about only athletics...it is about UNT.   Oh, never mind...not worth my time trying to explain it for the umpteenth time.  Sigh......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Really?  If you only see UNT as a source of entertainment for your own amusement through athletics, maybe so.

Isn't this a good thing for UNT though? serious question. All of us know that UNT is light years away from becoming a T-shirt sports fan school. All of us are on this board because we have a passion for UNT as a whole, because we are alumni, and because we love being considered a part of the MGN. But I would jump through a hoop of fire covered in kerosene to get those (never-attended-UNT-Tshirtfan) and only use us as their amusement in athletics fan base inside our stadium and arena. 

• Upvote 1

On December 28, 2015 at 0:37 PM, untjim1995 said:

And if we go 3-9 or worse then, are you gonna be here casting it in a positive light, since its triple the win total of the program now? If you do, you'll have plenty of company around here. And that's fine--if that helps you want to attend games and help keep the status quo, it really doesn't matter to a lot of us who have had it with our school's acceptance of losing in revenue sports. We aren't the ones wasting dollars or time anymore--and by the looks of the attendance figures in box scores at Apogee and the Super Pit since November, it appears that there are A LOT more of folks that are taking our view than yours. But again, that's fine. I hope that you have a good time when you go to the games--it was a lot of fun to go and watch our solid basketball team play at the Pit or to see a football team that could tackle and move the ball downfield during non-mopup time. For your sake, I hope that you get some moments like that again soon. And when RV retires/dies, maybe I'll get to come back and enjoy the same good teams again...but, make no doubt about it, many of us won't step foot near either of the venues that host the Mean Green's revenue teams until he is gone. Years of mostly putrid results on the football field and basketball court by RV hires in each sport and the bigger issue of accepted losing by the BOR to the point of RV having a lifetime job have combined to reach a point that many folks cannot in good conscience support this anymore. There are other areas within the university to support--and frankly, they are way more celebrated and supported by the UNT Family than athletics has ever been.

Yet here you are in the football forum.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Wow...missed the whole point, but thanks for playing.  You pretty much came in at the middle of the movie and never caught up.  Carry on....some will just never grasp the concept of paying it forward because it is the right thing to do I guess.  For those folks it is all about them and what's in it for me.  Try to focus...it isn't about only athletics...it is about UNT.   Oh, never mind...not worth my time trying to explain it for the umpteenth time.  Sigh......

Supporting UNT and demanding excellence on the field(ANY field) are not mutually exclusive concepts. Some here feel that throwing good money after bad is not a sound way to spend their money. I support that stance and would hope you would see their point that not giving to an inept athletic department is the loudest voice they use but it's not worth my time trying to explain I suppose. What's that song?

200.gif

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Supporting UNT and demanding excellence on the field(ANY field) are not mutually exclusive concepts. Some here feel that throwing good money after bad is not a sound way to spend their money. I support that stance and would hope you would see their point that not giving to an inept athletic department is the loudest voice they use but it's not worth my time trying to explain I suppose. What's that song?

200.gif

Again...have tried to explain umpteen times to no avail.  No need to waste any more of my time on those who refuse to see it is my choice and my position.  If you see otherwise...good for you.  I do what I do for the reasons I have and in no way consider any donation to UNT throwing good money away.  Anyone who cares to use whatever excuse they want for not supporting UNT is simply availing themselves of their choice. Your video snippet reminds me of those who claim to no longer support UNT yet continue to post here on a regular basis.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

16 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Again...have tried to explain umpteen times to no avail.  No need to waste any more of my time on those who refuse to see it is my choice and my position.  If you see otherwise...good for you.  I do what I do for the reasons I have and in no way consider any donation to UNT throwing good money away.  Anyone who cares to use whatever excuse they want for not supporting UNT is simply availing themselves of their choice. Your video snippet reminds me of those who claim to no longer support UNT yet continue to post here on a regular basis.

See the passive/aggressiveness in this post?

You claim its "your choice," yet those who disagree with you are using "excuses." 

You don't use "reasons," or "their choice," you use "excuses." 

So what you are really so coyly saying is that you make the right choice and those that walk away make excuses.

The only "excuses" being made are being made by this athletic director. They are tired, worn out, repeated excuses that are often outright lies. So if you want to accuse someone of making "excuses," please start with the person that has ran athletics off the cliff of the Grand Canyon. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Ok, I'll play ball. I support both sides right to handle the situation as they see fit. This means I support your right to continue to give to this Athletic department too. The issue is that this doesn't make you right and the other side wrong. You do you. And they will do them. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

See the passive/aggressiveness in this post?

You claim its "your choice," yet those who disagree with you are using "excuses." 

You don't use "reasons," or "their choice," you use "excuses." 

So what you are really so coyly saying is that you make the right choice and those that walk away make excuses.

The only "excuses" being made are being made by this athletic director. They are tired, worn out, repeated excuses that are often outright lies. So if you want to accuse someone of making "excuses," please start with the person that has ran athletics off the cliff of the Grand Canyon. 

Ha!  Hit too close to home for you Mr. Sensitive? Now you are even a pseudo-psychologist. Even though it was not in response to any of your posts and not at all directed at you, but if the shoe fits.......Hey, opinions ...just like yours.  See, if it hits too close for your comfort you go all Mr. Sensitive on everybody.  It's just the Internet and a message board as you have told countless of posters. So sorry to have touched a nerve here.  Take a Midol and let this message board thing go for awhile.  Might be too much for your sensitivities. As long as you are out there with the everything is bad with UNT all the time finding problems with every solution, I'll be right here with the "rest of the story".  Thought you had figured that out by now...sensitive AND a slow learner....priceless.

Hit that ignore button, and it will save you from so much angst.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, greenit said:

Yet here you are in the football forum.

Last time I checked, gmg.com isn't only accessible at Apogee or the Super Pit. Sorry it bothers you that the 75-80% of empty seats around you at UNT games are saying the same thing I am. I know it hurts to be labeled a loser in the days of participation ribbons, but that's all we are under RV. Until he goes away/dies, it's gonna be this way. I've got history on my side on this one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1