drex

While they were down to their 5th string qb...in Denton

Way to take down one of the few wins the team got this season.

The lengths our fans go to in order to put this program down.  Makes me so happy to be a part of this group. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

as i recall we beat UTSA with our third string qb

Nope. He had already been promoted to second team before Mac left and was promoted to first team before that game. UTSA's first 3 QBs were injured. 

Big difference, but you knew that, didn't you.

Way to take down one the only  win the team got this season.

Fixed. 

Lets keep it accurate...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Maybe we could acquire a couple of drums and liven things up on the alumni side.

I doubt they'd let us bring them in, but it would be interesting to try.

http://www.meangreensports.com/gameday/ntex-index-gameday.html

Noisemakers -

Bells, horns, megaphones, whistles, and other artificial noisemakers are not permitted at Apogee Stadium, per NCAA and Conference USA policies. [/quote]

Nope. He had already been promoted to second team before Mac left and was promoted to first team before that game. UTSA's first 3 QBs were injured. 

Fixed. 

Lets keep it accurate...

Does it matter who we played or what string we were up against in that game? We won the game. None of that other stuff matters. If we went into Tuscaloosa and beat Bama with their 5th string QB who gives a damn. A win is a win is a win. Petty af. 

• Upvote 2

I have no clue what our record will be. I also have no clue why we are playing Bethune-Cookman or a clue who they are. No one shows up to watch these teams. SMU, Army & Florida are awesome games and good for recruiting. We left D1aa a long time ago. Let's put on our big boy, or girl, pants and play at our level every week. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have no clue what our record will be. I also have no clue why we are playing Bethune-Cookman or a clue who they are. No one shows up to watch these teams. SMU, Army & Florida are awesome games and good for recruiting. We left D1aa a long time ago. Let's put on our big boy, or girl, pants and play at our level every week. 

Those 3 teams OOC we are playing are also playing FCS schools such as Presbyterian (UF), SMU will have one and you better believe it, and Lafayette & Morgan State (Army). Teams play these games. Why our own fan base can't understand that is crazy. It's not happening. It's suppose to be a confidence builder for the team and a win in the W column. They aren't going to stop nor should they. If our administration ever rids the annual P5 shellacking we should go away from the FCS games in the years we aren't playing a blueblood P5. Until then, it should stay as is. We need these games. 

• Upvote 5

SMU, @Army, Bethune-Cookman and @Florida I believe.  Not sure about dates.  I think that is correct.

We open with SMU and Bethune-Cookman at home so there's a very good chance we start 2-0. And although I think we CAN win six games next year, I think that would be our ceiling for 2016. It's unreasonable to expect anything more than that after this year.

• Upvote 1

Those 3 teams OOC we are playing are also playing FCS schools such as Presbyterian (UF), SMU will have one and you better believe it, and Lafayette & Morgan State (Army). Teams play these games. Why our own fan base can't understand that is crazy. It's not happening. It's suppose to be a confidence builder for the team and a win in the W column. They aren't going to stop nor should they. If our administration ever rids the annual P5 shellacking we should go away from the FCS games in the years we aren't playing a blueblood P5. Until then, it should stay as is. We need these games. 

When we went back to D1 we got D1 teams to come here. We could play Idaho or New Mexico State and appease the fans. People would come. Bethune-Cookman, enjoy the empty stadium.

What fans like you don't get, is those bodybag games, that I hate too, generate a lot of money and recruits love the idea of playing against P5 teams. Kids dream of playing there, not Bethune-Cookman or Liberty.

There are D1 teams we can bring in that kids won't roll their eyes at when we bring them to visit in recruiting. Especially, if we are going to lose by 70 or some nonsense and have to listen to RV talk about scheduling two of them in one year while not being able to pull it off. What a joke.

We should pay attention to schools that are having G5 success, like Houston, who isn't scheduling FCS schools. This recipe you endorse has failed us for the last 20 seasons. Maybe its time to try something new.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Well documented that I'm a club seat holder and would be walking away from a substantial investment.

Believe me, if I just had regular year to year season tickets, I would be gone and wouldn't return until RV was out and someone was hired that showed they could win consistently, like so many before have chosen to do. 

Unfortunately, I'm stuck. Now, if you and your high fallutin' Lieutenant's salary want to pay back the $7500 investment to me, you can be rid of me.

Is it worth $7500 to you to stop slamming your ears in the car door over and over? 

It's called a sunk cost.  You're acting exactly like RV, but you choose to hate on him every chance you get.  Do you keep on feeding a dead horse just because you spent $7,500 on it?

At least RV fired Mac, while you're still complaining about it....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Down the Corridor of years, how has the rainmaker worked out for us?

Oh ya...

Well, Hayden Fry was in his own way a "Rainmaker".....one writer of the time (with the Star Telegram) actually compared him to "The Music Man". Initially he was doing fine getting us to believe in ourselves and change our culture of cynicism. Only, he had hundreds, if not thousands, of "Noah's" to deal with instead of just one (like in the movie). 

It's called a sunk cost.  You're acting exactly like RV, but you choose to hate on him every chance you get.  Do you keep on feeding a dead horse just because you spent $7,500 on it?

At least RV fired Mac, while you're still complaining about it....

Sunk cost? 

You mean like 15 years of sunk cost with a terrible AD? Who has sunk the athletic programs of this university? 

Is that what you are talking about? If so, perhaps you should be talking to the 17 about their sunk costs?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

While they were down to their 5th string qb...in Denton

Fixed. 

Lets keep it accurate...

The UTSA staring quarterback was their 9th string qb but he was the starter.  I have never seen such negative people.  Football is won the field and having hurt players is part of it.  A win is a win and loss is a loss.  It is why the game is played.  Show me a team that has all it starters playing every game.   Does anything make you happy?   So they fire RV and your life becomes wonderful with rainbows and unicorns.  

I am not sure if we made the right hire but I am willing to give the guy a chance.

• Upvote 1

Does it matter who we played or what string we were up against in that game? We won the game. None of that other stuff matters. If we went into Tuscaloosa and beat Bama with their 5th string QB who gives a damn. A win is a win is a win. Petty af. 

Context, young Ben. The conversation was about beating UTSA next year, and the comment was made that we beat them this year, so we should beat them next year. In that context, you need to look at the circumstances of that victory. 

UTSA started a ton of young kids this year. All will be back next year. Plus they most likely won't be starting their 4th team QB. 

So...

Context, young Ben. The conversation was about beating UTSA next year, and the comment was made that we beat them this year, so we should beat them next year. In that context, you need to look at the circumstances of that victory. 

UTSA started a ton of young kids this year. All will be back next year. Plus they most likely won't be starting their 4th team QB. 

So...

the same could be said for us too.  Our team was young. Most will be back next year.  Just need a QB and better coaching and we will see improvement. 

• Upvote 1

the same could be said for us too.  Our team was young. Most will be back next year.  Just need a QB and better coaching and we will see improvement. 

Mac didn't recruit the last 2 years. Our talent level is way down. Skladany saw it and retired. This is going to take time. Like it, don't like it, don't care.

Those expecting 5 or 6 wins next year are headed for another MASSIVE disappointment.,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Mac didn't recruit the last 2 years. Our talent level is way down. Skladany saw it and retired. This is going to take time. Like it, don't like it, don't care.

Those expecting 5 or 6 wins next year are headed for another MASSIVE disappointment.,

most fans knew way ahead of time that we had a harder schedule and most of the teams we were facing were bringing more talent to the table.  Most felt our only hope would be if Damarcus smith got in early and was as good as his potential looked after high school.  Smith did not win the job, got in halfway through the season, and did not look good when he was in.  Buyers and bean, the two players with experience starting on defense did not play.  

You are right.  It's going to take time.  Not nessessarily because we have no talent.  Because we didn't have the experience.  Most of the defense had players starting D1 for the first time.  Most of them are returning.

Last year we played 4 games where we had a chance talent wise. SMU, UTEP, and UTSA.  Those games were close and winnable.  We didn't look overmatched.  A better coach could have us a 3 win team.  Portland State no comment.  Rice was another close but winnable game with similar talent. Big exception was the QB and WR they had.  That was the difference.  A better coach and QB could have gotten us that victory.  So, from a talent perspective, we could have won 4 last year.

Fast forward to 2016, the talent gap closes with more teams.  Our talent level will not be worse than UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Army, Beth Cook, and SMU.  Thats 6 games we should have a good shot at.  

Latech, marshall, MTSU loses a lot of starters and they come to apogee.  The reason they were predicted to do well this year was due to returning starters.  They all come back to the pack and they should not have a huge talent advantage over us.  We will need a good transfer QB and improved coaching, but those games should be winnable.

I'm not saying we will be good, but talent is relative to what the competiton brings.  A nice transfer QB and improved coaching staff can have this team at 6 wins based on the competition.

• Upvote 1

When we went back to D1 we got D1 teams to come here. We could play Idaho or New Mexico State and appease the fans. People would come. Bethune-Cookman, enjoy the empty stadium.

What fans like you don't get, is those bodybag games, that I hate too, generate a lot of money and recruits love the idea of playing against P5 teams. Kids dream of playing there, not Bethune-Cookman or Liberty.

There are D1 teams we can bring in that kids won't roll their eyes at when we bring them to visit in recruiting. Especially, if we are going to lose by 70 or some nonsense and have to listen to RV talk about scheduling two of them in one year while not being able to pull it off. What a joke.

We should pay attention to schools that are having G5 success, like Houston, who isn't scheduling FCS schools. This recipe you endorse has failed us for the last 20 seasons. Maybe its time to try something new.

What fans like you don't get is that just because we aren't accepting a check doesn't mean that we can't get a P5 on our schedule. 

You brought up Houstan as an example. I don't see many paycheck games on their schedule. 

Fundraising is superior. Plus their conference brings in more revenue.

Fundraising?  Whose job is that?

As far conference revenue, AAC TV payout is $1.5M/YR compared to CUSA's 1.2M/YR.  As far as CFP payout goes CUSA has been paid more money the first two years because of better records against the G5.

• Upvote 3

What fans like you don't get is that just because we aren't accepting a check doesn't mean that we can't get a P5 on our schedule. 

You brought up Houstan as an example. I don't see many paycheck games on their schedule. 

I wrote I hate bodybag games but they aren't stopping because of money/RV and they are better for recruiting than garbage teams. I also wrote we use to get P5 teams to Denton. Thanks for rewriting what I wrote though.

The moral of the story is Bethune-Cookman is crap scheduling and we use to get better scheduling. If we are faced with Liberty or Texas Tech it's pretty damn obvious who we should schedule, like we use to, because we use to compete with P5 schools from time to time.

Edited by UNTexas

most fans knew way ahead of time that we had a harder schedule and most of the teams we were facing were bringing more talent to the table.  Most felt our only hope would be if Damarcus smith got in early and was as good as his potential looked after high school.  Smith did not win the job, got in halfway through the season, and did not look good when he was in.  Buyers and bean, the two players with experience starting on defense did not play.  

You are right.  It's going to take time.  Not nessessarily because we have no talent.  Because we didn't have the experience.  Most of the defense had players starting D1 for the first time.  Most of them are returning.

Last year we played 4 games where we had a chance talent wise. SMU, UTEP, and UTSA.  Those games were close and winnable.  We didn't look overmatched.  A better coach could have us a 3 win team.  Portland State no comment.  Rice was another close but winnable game with similar talent. Big exception was the QB and WR they had.  That was the difference.  A better coach and QB could have gotten us that victory.  So, from a talent perspective, we could have won 4 last year.

Fast forward to 2016, the talent gap closes with more teams.  Our talent level will not be worse than UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Army, Beth Cook, and SMU.  Thats 6 games we should have a good shot at.  

Latech, marshall, MTSU loses a lot of starters and they come to apogee.  The reason they were predicted to do well this year was due to returning starters.  They all come back to the pack and they should not have a huge talent advantage over us.  We will need a good transfer QB and improved coaching, but those games should be winnable.

I'm not saying we will be good, but talent is relative to what the competiton brings.  A nice transfer QB and improved coaching staff can have this team at 6 wins based on the competition.

Be prepared to be severely disappointed.

Fundraising is superior.

But... But... But... Buildings!!!!

And vision!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Fundraising is superior. Plus their conference brings in more revenue.

UH has some serious money donors. The SWC pedigree grew some serious alumni who still care deeply for that place with their pocketbooks, certainly more than 17 of them. We damn well know that they will fire any coach, coordinator, or AD who isn't getting the job done.

UH made the club in the 70s, had some very good teams, then fell off and got drop-kicked out of the club. But their alumni still tries to get them a well-funded product, even when they are down and attendance drops significantly. They are a great model of what the CUSA Texas Public Schools need to strive to become.

But UH's main problem, when it comes to athletics, is simply their location. They cannot move up the food chain any higher because their location is already deemed to be full of fans from the Big 12 and SEC school already, meaning they bring absolutely no market to the potential conferences around them. The other 3 P5s, the B1G, the Pac 12, and the ACC, all have better options to get in their leagues before UH if they just wait out the next round of realignment, when the Big XII eventually falls apart after the GOR expires, if not sooner. UT, OU, KU, and WVU will have Power Conference homes somewhere. The brothers, Tech, OSU, and KSU, probably are in somewhere, too. That leaves ISU, TCU, and Baylor on the outside, along with, you guessed it, UH still. But I think that those programs, UH included, will look at the football landscape then and will go football independent, just to stay as a possibility to get into the Power Conferences' schedules and potential bowl games, rather than just stay at the G5 level. I think a lot of G5 schools will do this, as well.

• Downvote 1