How important is a qb

southsideguy

You know I used to think replacing our qbs would be job 1 for Seth but now I'm not so sure. His offense damn near beat the number one team in the country with a qb completing only 1/3 of his passes. There may be hope for Damarcus yet.

That really impressed me. QB was way off against one of the best defenses in the country and he found a way to manufacture 37 points. Special teams helped, but still.

• Upvote 2

his offense did seem to fit damascus style of play 

Yes, it does. Williams for UNC and Smith for us are similar in stature and physical capabilities. 

To answer the question to this thread. Uh, very. It's without a doubt the most important position on an entire team. 

Like I've said...Coach, see Dan Mccarney, do the EXACT opposite in every facet of being a HFB coach. Everything else will work itself out. 

Priority one is to find a QB who can throw the ball effectively. 

We don't have one on the roster.

We have one with the necessary raw materials. The question to me is, can he be refined.  Only spring ball under Littrell will resolve that question for me. Either he gets enough reps and instruction to get that arm and his footwork under control...or he doesn't.

• Upvote 1

We have one with the necessary raw materials. The question to me is, can he be refined.  Only spring ball under Littrell will resolve that question for me. Either he gets enough reps and instruction to get that arm and his footwork under control...or he doesn't.

If the OC speculation is correct, the QB coach will know a little about how to to play in this system.

I foresee Litrell landing a Giovanni Vizza type of QB who may already be committed out of state.  I have also stated that I would not rule out a graduate one year transfer that can immediately play.  The challenge is going to be the offensive line.  That's going to be important.  Vizza was a good QB but he was beaten to death and Dodge was oblivious.

I foresee Litrell landing a Giovanni Vizza type of QB who may already be committed out of state.  I have also stated that I would not rule out a graduate one year transfer that can immediately play.  The challenge is going to be the offensive line.  That's going to be important.  Vizza was a good QB but he was beaten to death and Dodge was oblivious.

All of the above, Harry. I see so much as-yet-unrealized potential in Smith though that I hope he can get the job done for a year and allow Littrell to find and develop "his guy" without being under tremendous pressure. I think the O-line is going to be much better with this year of adversity behind them.

Speaking of identifying QBs...

I wonder if Littrell will recognize he has a QB redshirted as a TE & vice-versa. 

Of course, he's going to recognize a TE as well, since that has been his expertise before, so if he keeps Dillman at TE, then he must be a TE.  And if he keeps Chumley at QB, then he's not a TE.

He's gotta make that move. Especially with limited time to get a staff in place and sign a mid year juco QB. He probably won't get much time with the team until signing day, but he's gotta make that move and evaluate from there.

• Upvote 3

Of course I'd love for Littrell to come in and sign a top notch Texas QB, but the realist in me believes we are probably going to have to establish an exciting and winning program in order to start drawing the better talent. So, I think Littrell might try to talk a solid QB recruit from around North Carolina into following him to North Texas. He may be able to land a kid that wanted to play in his offense at North Carolina, but didn't get an offer. Maybe a kid that was planning on signing with Wake or ECU, but would be sitting behind other QBs at those programs. The opportunity to contend for the starting job in Littrell's offense at UNT might be enough of a draw. Littrell could sell him on being the next Brandon Doughty to emerge from the G5, and helping develop North Texas into a BCS bowl team.

This kid is planning on signing with Wake, but was interested in UNC.

Jamie Newman