MGB: Canales press conference notes (with DaMarcus Smith video)

Brett Vito

At least Canales recognizes the problem. I'm not saying he's the answer. But you would never hear Mac say "We haven't recruited very well, and we haven't developed the talent we have very well". He would just say "Iowa is a great football team."

The number one priority in the new coach should be recruiting and talent development. Period

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

At least Canales recognizes the problem. I'm not saying he's the answer. But you would never hear Mac say "We haven't recruited very well, and we haven't developed the talent we have very well". He would just say "Iowa is a great football team."

The number one priority in the new coach should be recruiting and talent development. Period

Well Iowa is a lot better than some on this board would give them credit for. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(1) "Canales said that Antoinne Jimmerson elected to not travel with the team to LA Tech. A friend of his was shot during the week and Canales flat said the senior does not believe he is getting enough carries."

(2) “We need to do a better job of recruiting and developing our players,” Canales said. “We have kids who haven’t gotten bigger since they were freshmen.”

Canales said you could see the difference in what LA Tech had to work with by looking across the field and comparing the Bulldogs players to the guys standing on UNT’s sideline. UNT’s longtime offensive coordinator said he believes he knows what the program needs to do to close the gap."

Okay, what planet is he living on?  He's been here for six years!  He helped recruit this roster.  He's been coaching them.

Again, like I said last week, I like Mike, but he's too soft.  You have to push kids sometimes, okay?  Anyone with kids understands this.  And, college football players...you cannot let up on them anymore than you can your own kids.

How, as an assistant coach, at the same school for six years, do you not notice that players are not developing?  You are with them almost every day for four or five years!  What the hell is going on?

And, Jimmerson...look, the locker room is gone.  Okay?  Can we just all agree on that?  We've got Smith yelling at Canales, but not working to prepare when he was a backup.  We've got Jimmerson whining about his carries and refusing to go on the road.  We've got Greer, somehow still on scholarship, yelling at assistants during the game.

If a player doesn't want to participate or follow the rules, you have to pull that scholarship.  You have to do it.  We have to get some coaches in here with the stones to tell the inmates that they don't run the asylum. 

This team is an absolute mess.  Has any team ever unraveled to this degree so soon after a bowl appearance.  I mean, we are less than two seasons removed from a bowl appearances, and it seems that we are further off the ball than when Dickey left and Dodge ran the thing further down into the ditch in 2007.

Crazy, man. Crazy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This team is an absolute mess.  Has any team ever unraveled to this degree so soon after a bowl appearance.  I mean, we are less than two seasons removed from a bowl appearances, and it seems that we are further off the ball than when Dickey left and Dodge ran the thing further down into the ditch in 2007.

Crazy, man. Crazy.

Remember when southern miss went 0-12 after going 12-2 the season before. It is sad. But somehow not a record.