MGB: Tuesday notes, Calvin Minor video

Brett Vito

I'm not clear on this, but it sounds like the fact that we don't have a game the 1st week means that it still counts as our pre-season. Meaning, we actually get less practices because our season doesn't start until Sept. 12.

Seen a few mentions of it how we are spreading practices out and starting later. It would seem to me that the BYE week to start the season means we actually lost practice time. We don't get the regular camp time plus the 1st week. If that is true, then it's the biggest error in this terrible schedule.

• Upvote 3

I'm not clear on this, but it sounds like the fact that we don't have a game the 1st week means that it still counts as our pre-season. Meaning, we actually get less practices because our season doesn't start until Sept. 12.

Seen a few mentions of it how we are spreading practices out and starting later. It would seem to me that the BYE week to start the season means we actually lost practice time. We don't get the regular camp time plus the 1st week. If that is true, then it's the biggest error in this terrible schedule.

IMHO, it would be the second biggest error....or 1a.  The first was the team having to play 12 straight games.

• Upvote 1

I didn't see it that way. The NCAA mandates the maximum practices and practice hours you can use. I took Mac's quote to mean that because for the delayed start to the season they can spread out those practices over more days than normal and that's why they don't have any two-a-days this season.

• Upvote 2

I didn't see it that way. The NCAA mandates the maximum practices and practice hours you can use. I took Mac's quote to mean that because for the delayed start to the season they can spread out those practices over more days than normal and that's why they don't have any two-a-days this season.

This. Same number of practices spread out over more days.

This. Same number of practices spread out over more days.

I think I understand what MeanGreenHoops is saying:

The NCAA allows <X-number> of hours for practice every week during the season.

It depends on what the NCAA's rules are on how the "Fall Practice" hours start/stop.  If the NCAA says "You can start your allocated <X-number> hours of Fall Practice on 8/10, and you cannot exceed those hours before your first game", then we're losing an extra week's worth of regular-season practice hours between 9/5 & 9/12, thus we can afford to spread out the "Fall Practice" hours across an additional week.
If the NCAA says, "You can start your allocated <X-number> hours of Fall Practice on 8/10, and you cannot exceed those hours before 9/5", then everyone has the same number of hours and it doesn't really matter.

• Upvote 1

I think I understand what MeanGreenHoops is saying:

The NCAA allows <X-number> of hours for practice every week during the season.

It depends on what the NCAA's rules are on how the "Fall Practice" hours start/stop.  If the NCAA says "You can start your allocated <X-number> hours of Fall Practice on 8/10, and you cannot exceed those hours before your first game", then we're losing an extra week's worth of regular-season practice hours between 9/5 & 9/12, thus we can afford to spread out the "Fall Practice" hours across an additional week.
If the NCAA says, "You can start your allocated <X-number> hours of Fall Practice on 8/10, and you cannot exceed those hours before 9/5", then everyone has the same number of hours and it doesn't really matter.

Yes this exactly what I meant. Why would we need to spread out the practices unless we had more time to our 1st game, rather than until 9/5?

There was also this note in the Vito article in the paper.

"UNT won’t have a single day with more than one practice this fall because it has plenty of time to spread out 29 practices between the beginning of fall camp and its showdown with the Mustangs"

Makes it sound like there are 29 practices until your 1st game, but since we don't play the 1st week we "get" to spread them out.

One of the long known principles of learning is spaced practice results in superior learning to massed practice.  Shorter practice sessions spread over a longer time span should be to the advantage of the transfers, especially the QB, and freshmen.

It doesn't do as much for building endurance, though.