Five most important things we learned about SMU this week

Harry

3. Big questions up front — Morris wasn’t very specific when asked about the offensive line at AAC media days. “Taylor Lasecki is one of the guys back that we really hope is the center leader of that group. We’re trying to find the third, fourth and fifth guy and create some depth. Hopefully, we’ll come out with seven or eight guys that we feel confident in,” Morris said. Chauncey Briggs will be a solid piece at left tackle. And Morris also had praise for fellow tackle Kris Weeks, who “changed his life” this offseason. The group did lose Sever Myers for the year. He was expected to compete for the starting job at right guard this season.

4. Not much on defense — Morris didn’t answer very many questions regarding the defense this week. But he did give some insight on what to expect from the unit’s new 4-2-5 scheme. “We’re not going to sit back. We’re going to try to give our guys a chance to be successful and bring some pressure. We want to be aggressive in everything we do,” he said. Morris also had some good things to say about South Carolina defensive tackle transfer Deon Green. “For him to come here and have two years left, he’s definitely going to provide depth and experience. He’s going to push some guys,” Morris said.

read more:  http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/five-most-important-things-we-learned-about-smu-this-week.html/

I hate to say it but the youth and passion of Morris make this an entirely different team from 2014. They were embarrassed by what they feel is a far inferior opponent and they will not stand for two home losses in a row after the opener with BU. I just don't think our coaches, players , or students realize the significance of this game and how much harder it will be to win @ Ford Stadium.

• Upvote 5

Trap game for UNT. A Hangry SMU team will be ready to hit the mean green head on.

Rest assured our boys will show up pissed off and ready to hit hard and the experience is there to show it. We have our challenges to overcome but they will be ready for this game. This is not a trap game. 

• Upvote 4

The coach can be young and enthusiastic all day long and it's meaningless if the players aren't up to the task. (Matt Simon era was this way for us and he came in kicking ass. Same with Dodge minus kicking ass.) 

They'll be nice and fired up going into their first game, and then get annihilated by a team with hopes of a National Championship shot via the playoffs. Baylor needs to beat them with an exclamation point. They'll be banged up from their drubbing by Baylor too.

I don't wish them ill will but it's football. I hope they are beat up physically and beat down mentally. And trust me, their team will notice when we have more fans in their stadium and it will suck for them. Our team needs to jump on them early, just like last year. We have to start 1-0.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3