DMN Ranks Best WR Groups in Texas

Withers940

Not bad. I am excited to see what these kids are gonna do this season

Highest ranking: 5

Lowest ranking: 10

Notable: Carlos Harris (pictured) returns to lead North Texas’ core of wide receivers that could surprise this season after returning several of its key players from last season. Harris caught 70 passes for 863 yards in the 2014 campaign, when he was an honorable mention All-Conference USA selection. Tight end Marcus Smith is also back after catching six touchdown passes in a run-first scheme. UNT also has a couple of other productive players returning in Turner Smiley (14 catches for 195 yards) and Darvin Kidsy (15 catches for 148). UNT is adding redshirt freshmen Tee Goree and O’Keeron Rutherford of Carthage to the mix. Goree had offers from several Power Five conference schools and was a recruiting steal for UNT, which landed him as part of a package deal with Rutherford. Freshman D’Aundrey Bradley, a three-star recruit, could also contribute. — Brett Vito

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20150514-best-in-texas-ranking-top-college-wide-receivertight-end-units-in-the-state.ece

The given schools are ranked 1-5 for given reasons. I wish dmn would actually evaluate the players within the corps rather than the name of the school, but who am I kidding.

I mean 1-3, deserved tier. Put 4 and 5 in another tier. 6-10 could go in their own tier, in any order. I think Houston may be ranked too high, and Rice too low.

Don't really have time to comment because I need to go to church, but reciever ranks are directly affected by QB. AS LONG AS COACH MAC BENCHES DW in favor of "NO ARM" McNULTY (SP), then our WR's are going to suffer. It's going to be hard to watch UNT this year since I usually go to sport bar or other restaurant. I don't know if I can stomach the sports bar tab and watch subpar QB play when I know we have a real QB barried on the bench for God knows what reason (??? insert stupid made up reason here).

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Its real possible that the receiving corps here is going to the best position on the team, overall, but it could be wasted if the offense has to stay as conservative as it did last year because the QBs aren't trusted to throw the ball to one of our guys. I just remember the FIU game last season, where McNulty basically didn't throw a ball in the last 10+ minutes of the game, out of pure fear that it would get turned over and we would lose. Sadly, it was probably the wise decision, but it explains the issue we have here with poorly developed QB play. And I don't see that changing much this year. Unless McNulty has magically improved and unless the OL is actually better than I expect it o be, its gonna be a long season offensively.

• Upvote 2

That's why I am holding out hope for D. Smith.

To note, the FIU game was relatively cold and it was windy or wet. However, given the dynamics of the game our coaching staff would've called it the same in perfect football weather. As I've said many times, our staff calls games not to lose and that within itself has and will continue to lose us games.

• Upvote 1