Texas San Antonio (1/4/15)

CMJ

This is the type of comment that makes it difficult for me to ever be against a coach. The laughable thought that a firefighter thinks he knows more than a person who has played the game on college and been an assistant coach in the ncca for over a decade. He may not be the best coach but saying he cannot coach is an absolute joke. Maybe we should hire NT90, Rick, tasty, and CBL to coach the team. We would clearly be a lot better....

If you could -play nice or suffer- you might could see what the other 99.99% of everyone else has seen, including several of our ex players.

The dude can't coach basketball.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Against we Rice we really need to run deandre at the point and hopefully (TJ or Mo) at the 2. Deandre is the only player besides maybe jordan who can create his own shot and create shots for others. I would throw TJ in there but he is so beat up and injured it's been difficult for him to get it going. If TJ and Mo cannot go against rice Deandre should still run the point. Todd is a good kid but has been Disappointing thus far and Greg has potential hit major freshman jitters. Maybe moving Muhamed to the 3 or running a 4 out 1 in offense might be better. Ahmed can certainly score the ball from anywhere it seems.

• Upvote 1

If you could peel your lips far enough away from Kram's a$$ long enough you might could see what the other 99.99% of everyone else has seen, including several of our ex players.

The dude can't coach basketball.

Rick

I do not think he is the best coach in the world but everybody deserves a shot to prove themselves. Clearly he has not proven himself and that is fine I just think it's always funny for spectators to assume they know more than the coach. In reality spectators should be more focused on the players but they never are. It is more on the coach than the players at this point but plenty of blame to go around to everyone. I would include fair weather fans in there as well. If people truly supported a team they would show up regardless. In proffesioanl sports they are called bandwagon fans but here they are called "true fans". Maybe try showing up to a game if for no other reason than to thank Jordan Williams for his dedication to the university. That would be better than trashing the whole team as most "fans" here seem to do. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I do not think he is the best coach in the world hit everybody deserves a shot to prove themselves. Clearly he has not proven himself and that is fine I just think it's always funny for spectators to assume they know more than the coach. In reality spectators should be more focused on the players but they never are. It is more on the coach than the players at this point but plenty of blame to go around to everyone. I would include fair weather fans in there as well. Of people truly supported a team they would show up regardless. In proffesioanl sports they are called bandwagon fans but here they are called "true fans". Maybe try showing up to a game if for no other reason than to thank Jordan Williams for his dedication to the university. That would be better than trashing the whole team as most "fans" here seem to do.

I can hear the vacuum sound from here your sucking up so hard. It's unbelievable really.

Rick

• Downvote 2

This is the type of comment that makes it difficult for me to ever be against a coach. The laughable thought that a firefighter thinks he knows more than a person who has played the game on college and been an assistant coach in the ncca for over a decade. He may not be the best coach but saying he cannot coach is an absolute joke. Maybe we should hire NT90, Rick, tasty, and CBL to coach the team. We would clearly be a lot better....

I think what FFR is saying is Benford can't coach winning basketball. The fact that Benford might know something about basketball is irrelevant. He wasn't hired to know some thing about basketball, he was hired to build on a winning program and take it to a higher level and all he has done is lose, lose and lose some more.

Maybe he can just go teach a class on how to know alot about basketball and still lose all the time - that is what he is good at.

• Upvote 2

Against we Rice we really need to run deandre at the point and hopefully (TJ or Mo) at the 2. Deandre is the only player besides maybe jordan who can create his own shot and create shots for others. I would throw TJ in there but he is so beat up and injured it's been difficult for him to get it going. If TJ and Mo cannot go against rice Deandre should still run the point. Todd is a good kid but has been Disappointing thus far and Greg has potential hit major freshman jitters. Maybe moving Muhamed to the 3 or running a 4 out 1 in offense might be better. Ahmed can certainly score the ball from anywhere it seems.

What makes you think Deandre Harris would be any good at point? He has 5 assists and 11 turnovers the last two games. If those two numbers were flipped I'd agree with you but Harris is turnover prone. In this afternoon's game on fast breaks he kept the ball several times when Jordan was on the break with him and he never passed the ball off even with Jordan asking for the lob.

What makes you think Deandre Harris would be any good at point? He has 5 assists and 11 turnovers the last two games. If those two numbers were flipped I'd agree with you but Harris is turnover prone. In this afternoon's game on fast breaks he kept the ball several times when Jordan was on the break with him and he never passed the ball off even with Jordan asking for the lob.

We play better with him at the point. I understand he has more turnovers than assist but look at your other options. Deandre creates his own offense and offense for others. He came off a career high game at the point and then was moved to the two today. I do think he could have dumped it to jordan on one play on the break however he was still able to make the shot. He also lobbed it to jordan and was able to get the ball to collin on most of his made shots. I'm not sure how the ncaa defines an assist because the assist numbers always seem low compared to the NBA. In the NBA they can catch dribble and shoot and it counts as an assist. It seems if you pass and they dribble anywhere not in the paint towards the basket it's not consider an assist.

• Upvote 1

I do not think he is the best coach in the world but everybody deserves a shot to prove themselves. Clearly he has not proven himself and that is fine I just think it's always funny for spectators to assume they know more than the coach. In reality spectators should be more focused on the players but they never are. It is more on the coach than the players at this point but plenty of blame to go around to everyone. I would include fair weather fans in there as well. If people truly supported a team they would show up regardless. In proffesioanl sports they are called bandwagon fans but here they are called "true fans". Maybe try showing up to a game if for no other reason than to thank Jordan Williams for his dedication to the university. That would be better than trashing the whole team as most "fans" here seem to do.

Dude, stop. Just...stop. We. Suck. Bad. I don't know what benefit you get by spewing this same bullshit on here after every atrocious loss. Tony Benford is done. I'm not going to any more games. No mas.
  • Upvote 2

Would you f'in fire these two coaches already? RV? Ya listening?

Come on, dude. It's clear as day that Maurice Aniefoik is a cancer in the locker room. That's why he didnt play today and cost UNT a victory.

Just ask RV.

Or Andrew/Skiver. .

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We play better with him at the point. I understand he has more turnovers than assist but look at your other options. Deandre creates his own offense and offense for others. He came off a career high game at the point and then was moved to the two today. I do think he could have dumped it to jordan on one play on the break however he was still able to make the shot. He also lobbed it to jordan and was able to get the ball to collin on most of his made shots. I'm not sure how the ncaa defines an assist because the assist numbers always seem low compared to the NBA. In the NBA they can catch dribble and shoot and it counts as an assist. It seems if you pass and they dribble anywhere not in the paint towards the basket it's not consider an assist.

In the NCAA an assist is passing the ball and then the other player shoots (and makes) a basket without dribbling. For someone who prides himself as such a (self-proclaimed) basketball expert I thought you would have known something like that.

Harris only had 2 assists today and for the season Harris has 34 turnovers and 15 assists. If he's going to play at point his numbers need to improve by a lot. You actually want your point to have more assists than turnovers but you should have already known that.

• Upvote 2

RV? You want him to fire these guys? So he can make another hire?

Here's a look at the last 6 hires RV has made in the major sports over the last decade.

WBB:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)

- 12-18 Peterson (2012-2013)

- 11-19 Peterson (2013-2014)

- 1-12 Peterson (2014-2015)

64-132 total

MBB:

- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)

- 6-8 Benford (2014-2015)

34-44 total

Football:

- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-27 Mccarney (2011-2014)

28-64 total

Total:

126-240 (114 games under .500)

114 games under .500. 114. And that includes all of our victories over non division 1 opponents. And, of course, our loss to a non D1 opponent.

This post should be pinned, just in case anyone ever doubts that this university doesn't give a crap about athletics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've said this before, but I don't think there's that much difference basketball knowledge wise from Coach K, to Adolph Rupp to John Wooden to Tony Benford. Sure there are X's and O's and what not, plus it obviously helps to have superior players -- but what separates bad coaches from all time coaches is their ability to pass on that knowledge to their charges and/or them them to buy in.

That is something that Tony Benford has shown absolutely unable to do.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

I've said this before, but I don't think there's that much difference basketball knowledge wise from Coach K, to Adolph Rupp to John Wooden to Tony Benford. Sure there are X's and O's and what not, plus it obviously helps to have superior players -- but what separates bad coaches from all time coaches is their ability to pass on that knowledge to their charges.

That is something that Tony Benford has shown absolutely unable to do.

It has been a recurring theme. The players tune him out. Mitchell clearly did it after the UAH loss, Jones did it, and you could see the players today doing it as well. They appear to have lost respect for what he has to say so when he attempt to coach them, you can seem them roll their eyes and appear to not hear him.

Once this occurs, the coach is fighting a losing battle. When he basically completely turned over the roster, the new guys seemed to buy in for a while, but you can seem them starting to slip into not caring. JW seems amused at the lack of ability from some of his teammates, especially the point guards.

Based on today, we may not win another game, and that is just being honest. I can't imagine we see a weaker team the rest of the way than what we played today.

• Upvote 1

Back to putting the moron on IGNORE.

BTW,...have I mentioned Benford can't coach?

Rick

You have. And when I read it, I get that you are saying that Benford can't coach. What I don't hear you saying is that FFR knows more about basketball than Benford or that FFR is a better coach than Benford. Not sure how anyone could get the the latter conclusion.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd wager that group could have won more than 14% of their football games from 2007-2010.

I don't watch basketball. I don't give two craps as to whether Benford is idiot savant or just plain idiot. Some people are simply in over their heads.

Rick didn't say he was better. Rick never claimed to coach. He is simply making an observation.

Your statement is one of the worst arguments I see, over and over again, on sports message boards. I will continue to quote this by Cerebus, as long as that silly argument keeps reappearing.

That is an insane proposition. I'm not a plumber, but if I hire one and he hooks up my toilet to flush directly into my shower I shouldn't criticize him?

We pay a lot of money for a coach to win football games. We pay for it. Do you under stand now? He is providing a service. I may not know the exact details of how the servicing is done, but I know the results I want.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 7

that would be fantastic entertainment. bet that side-show would get season-ticket holders back up to at least the JJ era.

I claim coaching big men. I coach the flop like I played 20 years for the Spurs.

We will rebound and play defense (translation: foul like hell on the inside and pray the refs let us play).

I nominated Tasty as head coach. I think he will run the diamond offense...

Rick didn't say he was better. Rick never claimed to coach. He is simply making an observation.

Your statement is one of the worst arguments I see, over and over again, on sports message boards. I will continue to quote this by Cerebus, as long as that silly argument keeps reappearing.

I'm not sure how this argument holds up when one job is a service job and one job is a not. I guess coaching might fall under the entertainment industry since that is what professional sports coaches and players fall under. I am also unsure how these correlate when one is directly paid out of your pocket and the other job is not. There are a lot of fallacies that people apparently are just completely ignoring when attempting to compare the two.

I am not saying Benford is the best coach we have ever had and nor am I saying he deserves to be brought back next season. I will never understand such a fickle fans. "Well if you do not completely agree me 100% and completely trash the program then you are ignorant."That is essentially your argument and a lot of other posters not named CMJ, Kram, Harry, NT03, Cooley and a few others. I will never completely disrespect the program or refuse to go to games. I'm not a fair weather or bandwagon fan.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7