George Dunham makes impact on UNT athletics

Harry

No mention of Bill Mercer, the guy Dunham screwed out of the play by play job.

Loved the time I got to spend with that gentleman when I was in school. I'll never forget the sad look on his face when I last spoke to him inside New York Subway and told him we missed him and would love to see him return for a game some day. He looked down and said..."I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll ever step foot in Fouts again".

Rick

Even if it was Hank, he was smart cognizant enough to move away from the mic or cover the mimic when he became cheerleader, this not overriding the play by play call by George.

More than half of the FBS color guys out there would have gone ape s#%+ on the air.

We really underestimate how lucky we are here.

George Dunham does more for this university everyday than anyone else in administration at UNT, in terms of promotion and connecting to alums and fans. We are so lucky to have him--same with Hank, too. Hank and his family love the Mean Green. He once told me that he and his kids bleed green--and this is a guy who graduated from Kansas, where they have plenty of tradition from their athletic programs. Their broadcasts are thoroughly enjoyable and professional.

As for the guy who trolled on the Mercer thing, they have put that behind them. And putting George in as play-by-play lead at the time was still the best thing the university could've done, since his growing popularity from The Ticket was catipulting his name throughout the area as a great sports broadcaster. But I'm sure that the poster who trolled with this has never gotten a promotion over someone else that got demoted, so I'm sure there are no glass houses here at all...

Finally, the Aggie broadcast is such a joke that most Aggies will tell you they cannot stand listening to Dave South call a game. From calling everyplay as "we" to making very professional calls, such as "He is a Touchdown", most younger Aggies recognize the embarrassment there. Its the older Aggies that won't ever let him go.

Just heard the SMU vs UAB last second Romo QB pass call on the ticket.

THAT is homer, and something I quite thankfully have never heard come across the airwaves of a UNT broadcast. Terrible. Tried to find audio to post of that abortion of a call for comparison, but failed.